1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Francis interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rhester, Nov 25, 2003.

1. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Bill and Calvin interviewed Steve after the Clippers game on Channel 51-

I thought Steve had some comments as I remembered ...

Bill started off by telling Steve it was his best all around game w/ 19 pts. and 9 assists.

Steve said he needed to get everyone going, involved in the offense.

Calvin told him his points came easy because he let the game come to him.

Steve said if thats what happened he better keep it up.

Bill asked if he was down about the Portland game?

Steve said he and coach watched the tape and JVG felt he played the right way.

Bill asked if they were adjusted now to the coaching change?

Steve said no, they were still learning they have only been together 7 weeks.

He also said Cat, Cato, MoT, Moochie and himself had been together and they still were working on adjusting to everyone else.

All in all Steve showed maturity, poise, and leadership in the interview. Gave some good answers. I really want to believe Jeff Van Gundy is molding Steve into a leader and a superstar caliber NBA player.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

I thought Steve did play pretty good last night. When pointing out his 9 assists, many will point out his 6 TOs. 4 of those TOs though, were due to offensive fouls called on Steve, most of which, were a lil ticky tack.

3. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Thanks, rhester. Whenever I see anything about an interview with Steve, I always cringe, afraid of the next goofy statement. Way to go Steve!

The change in the way this team plays will not happen overnight. Hopefully, we can enjoy watching it over the next 30-40 games. It's great to hear Steve acknowledge they still have a ways to go.

Hopefully, by the last quarter of the season, the complaints of who gets what shots or touches will have faded away.

4. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

I thought Steve play alright in the Portland game until someone reminded me he only had 2 points. But I did not think he did bad in that game, maybe he should look to be more aggressive and go to the hoop since his shots ain't falling. He did play controllably in that game which is a good sign that his adapting to the change.

5. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I cannot wait for the day when SF consistently resist the urge to dribble and hold up the ball movement. I would like him to go up for his shot when the ball comes to him and he is open. When you are wide open because the defense is behind you go up with the shot. Invariably, when he does not, the turnover is as likely the outcome as anything else.

Great game last night. I am very happy to see the team do well whether or not he was in the lineup. That speaks volumes about this team.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Is it possible that Francis is growing, maturing as basketball player? He certainly is improving his interviewing skills. Last year, I thought he and Griffin were two of the worst interviews in the league. Griffin is now being interviewed by prosecutors and defense attorneys so his skills may improve as well.

7. Nimnal

Nimnal Contributing Member

Thanks rhester for posting this.
    I really miss hearing this kind of thing
    since I don't get to see the local broadcast.

8. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

one other postitive note:

Steve said when he was open he would take his shot, but he wasn't going to force it.

That tells me he is listening and getting the right mind set.
    If he does dribble too much it isn't as often as before and it probably in the heat of the moment.

I think Steve will continue to mature into a leader.

9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i hope you are right. i have been growing increasingly impatient with the fact that our guard play, once a strength, had become a weakness. i still think we should bring in one more playmaker to take the heat off francis and mobley.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I have to disagree with this.....dribbling straight into 2 (sometimes 3) players with no place to go is not a ticky tack off foul, but just plain dumb. Francis makes the same stupid unsound basketball decisions possession after possession game after game season after season. He oozes stubbornness.

11. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

thats how a guard gets the foul
    they always dribble into people or penetrate as hard as they can and chances are that they will be fouled on the play and get the foul. look at AI....he always is being fouled because of this technique

Steven also drives with a low stance and with his head first....seems to work pretty well in getting the foul except last night....that one stretch where they kept getting offensive fouls was so freaking annoying

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Only took ten posts for somebody to start bashing Steve in this thread...

13. tannersearle78

How many posts does it take before a player starts getting bashed?

Yao:
    1) after a good game that they won, no bashing
    2) after a bad game that they lost, 1
    3) after a good game that they lost, 15-20
    4) after a bad game that they won, 1

Francis
    1) after a good game that they won, no bashing
    3) after a good game that they lost, 1

Cat
    1) after a good game that they won, 5-6

Moochie
    1) after a good game that they won, 1

John Amaechi
    **Unable to compute, but Amaechi is doing well as the towel boy.

14. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I don't remember him doing that.

Two fouls were were extremely ticky-tac. One foul was when he didn't have the ball. Another was what looked like a slight push off of his man with a clear path to the basket. (kind of like what Yao does on his base line spin move.) Another was a obvious charge with him being guarded man to man. I don't remember the other one, maybe that's the one where he did that but it diffidently wasn't most of them.

15. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Maybe next time B&C will ask Steve about his "skills" on the break. I'd like to hear Stevie's response.

16. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

The only double doubles I want Steve to have is in assist and rebounds. I love it when he is high in both of those, and if the points come in the flow, not forced, then so be it.