1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Star Trek : Discovery] : New Star Trek series coming from CBS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Nov 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They were until Star Trek : Voyager nerfed 'em with Species 8472. Then ST:Voyager wrecked Species 8472. lol.

#121 Dr of Dunk, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  2. Steve_Francis_rules

Here's another vote for DS9. Keep in mind that it starts slowly, though.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not a big fan of TOS although I'll watch episodes of it, but I just started to watch the entire Twilight Zone series. I always knew it had some good episodes, but some of those were so cool despite the "low tech". Unlike TOS where it was low tech and it was hard to stop laughing at some of the scenes, they were so corny.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

TOS is the best imo.

But DS9 would be my recommendation if you are not into older stuff like TOS.

RudyTBag likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Aaaaight...you guys have me sold.

6. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Seasons 3 through 7 of DS9 are simply magnificent. You can't find a better 5 year run of TV.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TOS is a time capsule, that's for sure.

One of the most hilarious, amazing scenes of all time. Also, Wrath of Khan is one of the greatest sci-fi films ever.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The pilot was pretty good.

Skip the first season and half of the second.

If you can stand bad fx, the first four seasons of Babylon 5 are pretty good. I think it's dated because people tune out after the first season (cheesy visuals and clunky dialogue), but it slowly pays off midway the second leading up to an addictive 3rd and 4th season when it had a better budget.

Not many shows had sci writer Harlan Ellison writing episodes.

#128 Invisible Fan, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  9. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

This is from the perspective of a non Trekkie viewer. I've watched about 80% of the original ST 30+ years ago and liked it in general. Never had the inclination to watch the other ST series. Not because I don't like SciFi (I like The Expanse!), but they just weren't appealing enough for me for some reason.

Discovery caught my attention because of Martin (from TWD) and Yeoh (Yao!) from Jackie Chan movies, so I gave the 2 episodes a try. I think the visuals are beautiful. Martin (except for a few scenes) & Yeoh have good chemistry and performances. The story and dialogue were good overall but did had some not so realistic moments. Someone complained about no other actors were brought to the forefront may have missed that they were not on the Discovery. I think that is a good hint that this will not be the main crew for the rest of the series. I don't particularly like the looks of the Klingon either, probably for the same reason as others, but it wasn't enough to distract me from the enjoyment of the show. I was also disappointed with some of the action sequences, especially with Yeoh there not doing her usual stuff.

I won't spoil the 2nd episode as it appears that most here didn't watch it, but I thought it was better than the first episode. At the end of the episode, they had "scenes from the next" and I was stoked. Overall I enjoyed the 2 eps and would continue to watch had it been free. Now I have to contemplate if it is worthy enough to go over to my friend's house to catch it, maybe I'll just ask him to record it.

IMO, I don't think you have to be a Trekkie to enjoy this nor do you have to see all the other series to appreciate it. I don't think I will go back to catch DS9 or the other series just so that I have the inner knowledge or context to connect all the events/characters/etc... There are too many other shows available and not enough time.

If you can get your hands on it (especially if it no $ out of your pocket), it is worth watching.

RudyTBag likes this.
  10. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Nobody should be paying money for it as I posted links already. This site has episodes up the same night they come out. Here are the links again:

Episode 1
    Episode 2

Side note - is anyone watching The Orville? It's Seth MacFarlane's mock Star Trek, but it's actually not bad so far. I thought it would be overboard with jokes, but it's kinda serious with a few jokes thrown in.

MoonBus likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Heard of Orville when I was looking for std. You can tell from Family Guy that Seth is a Trekkie. Will take a look at it.

el gnomo likes this.
  12. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Thank you for the links, somehow I missed your post.

I gave The Orville (3 episodes) a try and didn't like it. It tries to be funny and serious at the same time but some how came across as not hitting either marks for me.

el gnomo likes this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

How can you even parody that? It's awful. lol. That whole episode was corny as hell. Anything that could top the Gorn fight scene in terms of "omg this is stupid" has got to be "omg stupid". :D

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Awful???

Agree to disagree good Sir. That was AMAZING... Better than a huge chunk of the newer Treks that try so hard to be cool, and are just dorky to the highest degree. It was the 60s baby and it was beautiful. :D

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Episode 3 was very good. It set the direction of the series. For me, the hook has been set.

The quality of both the acting and production makes this a "must watch" if you like good sci-fi. Doesn't matter if you are a Trekkie.

Jason Isaacs as Captain Lorca works for me.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just finished the 3rd episode...I'm not sure how much longer I'm gonna hang in there with this series.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think my biggest problem with the 3rd episode was

the completely unnecessary and out of nowhere roommate that I'm guessing is supposed to be on the autism spectrum

There were other things that I liked, but that one thing just really took me out of it

19. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

I liked the third episode as well. Very interesting going forward.

20. Entropy

Entropy Member

Good episode 3, except for the addition of the cringey awkward autistic character they have to keep promoting in all shows nowadays.