1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017/2018 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yung-T, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

A pathetic elimination in final 16 would possibly be the best thing that can happen to us, similar to what unfolded after the first Heynckes season where we didn't win a single title.

Hoeneß and Rummenigge are living in the past and think Bayern still can compete by doing cheap under the radar transfers, it just doesn't work anymore. And then you have to remember how Gnabry, Brandt or Goretzka are possibly joining next, it just doesn't cut it.

Guys like Alaba also seem to get a free pass and are never criticized, he's been garbage for two seasons now.

Still not sure about Kimmich either, don't think he has what it takes defensively when up against world-class opposition.

The whole front office just seems to be blinded by past success and Bayern's prestige, they're not up with the times and too self-centered.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol just realized Anchelotti has coached in the Big 5 European leagues...

2 CL titles with different clubs

Various Italian clubs amongst them Milan and Juve......
    Chelsea
    PSG
    Bayern
    Real Madrid

Hmmmm....

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Firing Ancelotti kiiiinda makes sense atm, as I don't see any real strategy on the pitch and players also seem to be disgruntled with him. Would be a huge surprise to me though, this is one of the world's most accomplished coaches.

BILD saying Tuchel is an option, but I don't see that because of Nagelsmann being a frontrunner in the next years. Maybe a deal where Ancelotti gets to stay until winter or end of season.

Also feel kind of bad for Ancelotti though, he surely didn't want to see transfers like Gnabry or Kimmich as right back. This current mess in mainly on Hoeneß and Rummenigge imo, their egos are too big for the modern business.

daywalker02 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. FaBo

FaBo Member

I'm sorry, what? Not a horrible performance? What match have you seen? Yes, we had a lot of possession, but that means nothing if you can't capitalize on that. Offensively, it was incredibly one-dimensional, one cross after another, none of which resulted in any real danger in front of goal. No creativity whatsoever. Paris, on the other hand, created chance after chance despite the little possession they had. Neymar, Mbappe, Cavani... let's face it: They are simply better than us at this point. No need to sugarcoat that.

What is that great core you're speaking of? Ribéry and Robben, as much as it pains me to say that, are past their prime and not world class anymore. Coman I'm not entirely convinced of as he does manage to get past his defender a lot (unlike Ribéry) but then usually crosses it into no man's land. He really needs to work on that. Müller, let's face it, if it wasn't for his popularity among the fans, he would have been gone a long time ago just based on his performances, or lack thereof. Lewandowski disappeared again against great competition, but at least scores a ton of goals in the Bundesliga. James hasn't played much so far because of injuries, so no verdict on him yet.

Tolisso has been solid so far. That is not enough though when you're playing for a club like Bayern. He needs to be more than just solid. But, since he hasn't been here for very long, I would give him a little more time to acclimate. However, I'm not very optimistic that he is world class material.
    Rudy I like so far. Very calm with the ball, few mistakes, seems to (almost) always make the right play. But, his limits did show yesterday, although it was certainly a tough situation being subbed into a match like that.
    Thiago is normally one of my favorite players, but I don't like at all what I'm seeing from him this season. Don't remember a single good performance from him. Where has his creativity gone? He needs to find it rather sooner than later.

Defense is alright, or rather would be alright if everybody was playing up to their potential (looking at you, Alaba), but I won't get into that right now, this post is already long enough.

And don't even let me get started on the coach. The fact that there is no recognizable strategy, no player got better since he got here and the atmosphere within the team seems to be at its worst in a long time is all you need to know about the coach.

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Ancelotti fired and Sagnol taking over, according to SportBILD. Guess it's true.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Seems like a panic reaction. Hoeneß should just leave as well.

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Ancelotti confirmed the sacking on Sky Italia.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Lahm had a funny interview on Business Insider today, saying how he learned a lot from Hoeneß, but "definitely" wouldn't call him a mentor. Also said he'd change things at Bayern management, but doesn't want go into detail publicly.

Rummenigge and Hoeneß should leave in my opinion, we need a complete front office revamp. Maybe bring in Lahm, Schweini, Kahn or van Bommel and a young, versatile coach like Nagelsmann or Tuchel.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Di Marzio saying Bayern already in negotiations with Tuchel, could be presented as new coach tomorrow. Says this would possibly an interim thing, as Hoeneß wants Nagelsmann as coach starting next season.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hoeneß style of management is through intimidation and by leading in a very autocratic manner ("Gutsherrenart"), and surrounding himself with sycophants. Bayern had a very capable man in Reschke, but he was not held onto. Bayern's scouting is not as good as Dortmund's (Dembele, Pulisic, Philipp, etc.).

daywalker02 and Yung-T like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Interesting newstart at Säbener Road.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Two interesting comments on reddit yesterday, guess Real Madrid fans saw this coming:

Friendly Madrid fan here.
    A lot of our fans remember Carlo differently than a few of us. I wanted you guys to beat PSG tonight, but with this guy as your coach, expect the same formation and similar result in the home game. Madrid might have won La Decima under him, but I've never been more frustrating watching Madrid under Carlo and the useless ****ing crosses.
    I feel for you guys, I hope something happens soon and you can turn it around.

Another friendly Madrid fan here. Carlo did a lot of good things for us (not talking just about the Decima) and our counters were indeed great, but today I saw the same problems with you as I've seen with us under him. His inability to adapt (whether it be on a game by game basis or during one said game). Heavy reliance on crosses and inability to change things around and rotate players lead to players being run to the ground and eventually ending up in a Modric injury which cost us both the league and CL.
    Was seriously rooting for you to win in Paris tonight, but I saw the exact same problems with your team as I did with ours back then. Hoping for some good fortune for you soon!

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The second one said that he ran players to the ground while Rummenigge has been whining about him not using regular players like Ribery, Hummels at all and Robben just for spare minutes.

That is the opposite what that Real fan was getting at.

Zidane is playing the same lineup every game, he just got a golden hand winning everything.......

I admit coaches have their unique philosophy but that second fan is just complaining.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Sport1 and Sky saying Ancelotti may have lost this game on purpose, as he knew his coaching gig would end in ugly fashion sooner or later. Apparently simply put a paper with the line-up up and didn't explain anything to the players.

Super weird.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It was a legit issue with Real and during our first season, Ancelotti is infamous for not rotating. No idea why he did it this season, maybe desperate for better performances.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I just think coaching a top team is very hard.......Guardiola, Pochettino, Klopp, partly Conte, the 'younger' generation rotate all the time but with mixed results, and people are still not satisfied.

There is always something people are not content with. I am voting for those armchair coaches to become coaches one day and see for themselves how hard that job is and how fickle and easy it is to lose that job!

He is just an older gentleman with principles that worked 5-8 years ago but is desperate trying to keep up with the younger top coaches of today.

Got nothin but respect for him and may he find a good job!

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

All true and don't think anyone dislikes him as a person, but it's a business and results matter. Everyone I know wishes him well and feels bad for him, as he's one of the only gentlemen left in the business.

We need a young coach with more tactical know-how and versatility now, Tuchel or Nagelsmann would be perfect.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If Bayern wants take the path of retooling or rebuilding, they got to get rid of Ribery, Müller, Robben and couple of those Oldies......

They got to revamp the management, surround themselves with guys with new ideas, more innovation.

And better scouts and talents, they also have to open the IRON BANK... Cersei would tell you how.

If they want veterans, those must be between the age of 24-28. Not older.

Yung-T likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darn it....now a club owner.....going fishing.....

Why doesn't Harden own a club or a joint?