1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey did the right thing.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 23, 2017.

?

Do you agree with not trading for Carmelo Anthony if it included Gordon/Capela?

1. Yes

87.7%
  2. No

12.3%
  1. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Well now that we don't have Carmelo are we going to try and snag a 6th man that can GIT BUCKETS!? Maybe a Lou Williams type?

2. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Won't move a needle. The biggest weakness of our team was we don't have a forward that can make plays off the dribble. Put a guard on Ryan Anderson like the Spurs and our offense immediately gets shut down. Morey blew it big time. BIG TIME. Our championship window has just closed.

cheke64 likes this.
  3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Overreact much?

4. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

No sane GM was going to give up Gordon and Ariza to get an aging star. If anything blame Morey for not being able to get Paul George, but at that point we had given up all of our assets to get Chris Paul. What hurts the most of course is not Carmelo coming to Houston but him going to OKC after they already got Paul Geroge. I really hope at least two of the three leave them next year. It amazes me that Presti was able to get rid of their scrubs to get those two guys. He must be a real good negotiator, but then again this is the same guy who got nothing in return for losing out on KD, gave up Serge Ibaka for nothing and of course got robbed by Morey in the Harden deal. I guess you win some and you lose some.

34to11 likes this.
  5. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

We don't need that as much as we did before CP came. He can create for err body when he is on the floor or score it himself. This won't be an offense that looks stale when Harden sits or teams stay out on shooters. Pat Bev is not near the weapon CP is. Bev used to have trouble finishing in the paint and around the rim.

34to11 likes this.
  6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

How do you close something that's already closed?

Is this like a double negative? Where it turns into a positive?

Did our championship window just get opened?!?!

But for real my dude, with Melo do you think we had a chance of winning 4 games in a series against the Warriors?

7. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Wade is very likely a Thunder now. Wow...

8. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

If Wade and Lebron go to Thunder ...

9. Eric00009

Eric00009 Member

Getting cp3 is becoming a waste

Coach E likes this.
  10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

No really. We still got the trade deadline.

11. valorita

valorita Member

Paul George is the piece that we missed on.

CP3
    Harden
    George

Would have been a true big 3

apollo33 and fba34 like this.
  12. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

I think he did the right thing holding on to the assets the Knicks wanted in exchange for Melo, who I think is past his worth but MIGHT surprise us this year if anything, just to prove doubters and the chance to win again.

The best thing Morey could've done was to take advantage of the bad position the Knicks was in, and our favorable position due to Melo singling us out with his NTC. We basically held out too long and Melo, the dumbass that he is and always have been, caved and opened up to other teams.

It seems like Morey, who was always looking to move pieces for bigger assets, is sort of slowing down and letting chemistry set in instead. Before, he'd pounce on teams like Knicks and Kings whenever they were stuck for a move. Which I totally get because Melo is no longer the star worth the trouble. I never took the Lebron to Houston possibility seriously.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

this, the big prizes this summer was PG, CP3, Hayward, Jimmy Butler.

truth is no one was offering jack **** for Melo, not Cleveland, not us, not even what OKC ended up giving. GM's aren't stupid, he's an aging star on a decline but couple potentially create a spark. No winning team wanted to give up core pieces for that gamble, it wasn't rational.

Thunder was in a unique situation to offer the best of the worst, props to Presti for the all in move. Thunder didn't win 55 games last season, they don't really have a great team, they could gamble for the all in, if WB and PG13 leave, they will go full tank mode. We are not in the same situation. We were top 5 team last year, Harden is locked, and everyone on the team right now contributes to wins, including Anderson who's significantly overpaid.

And the "fans" that want to see the team lose so they can be right are the biggest pieces of shet

34to11 likes this.
  14. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

W
    T
    F

I mean, what the fake is this?!

15. Coach E

Coach E Member

We were supposed to be the chosen ones, it was supposed to be us that dethroned the warriors.

16. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Are you suggesting we tank?

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. 34to11

34to11 Member

I'm surprised that this is even a question.
    Smart teams don't overpay for what Melo is now, especially given the circumstances.

Morey played this situation well. The Knicks only leverage was time and they painted themselves into a corner with the only hope being that Melo would cave. Unfortunately he did and OKC gave the Knicks an out. It is what it is.
    Morey was absolutely correct in not giving up players that would have mitigated/negated anything gained by adding Melo.

I think the only reason this is even a discussion is because the situation dragged on for so long that perspective got lost for some fans.

20. Milby Buff

Milby Buff Member

Ryno does what we would have been asking Melo to do better; Catch and shoot. I don't really feel one way or the other about the trade not going through. It sucked with Ryno not making shots in the playoffs; it is what it was. He'll bounce back.