1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. DonKnutts

DonKnutts Contributing Member

With the sheer amount of Cat-bashing that goes on here, I could only imagine what it would be like if Ricky Davis was the starting SG. What if Cuttino shot at his own basket to get a cheapie rebound to complete a triple-double? This board would have to be shut down.

The "grass is greener" theory is never more apt than when it applies to Rocket fans (and fans of all teams, for that matter.) You don't think Cavs fans get on Davis for being so selfish? I have a good friend who's a Pistons fan, and he's forever complaining about Rip's inconsistency and lack of fire. And I live in NY, so you can be sure I've heard the weaknesses of Allan Houston's game dissected ad nauseum. But I don't think any player gets more heat from his own fans than Cuttino.

I like Cat. I like his energy and his intensity. He makes bonehead plays for which he certainly deserves criticism, but to me, the pros outweigh the negatives in his game. But as much as I'm a Cuttino fan, part of me wants to see him traded so all the Cat bashers can direct their vile at somebody else. I bet a dime to a dollar that within a month, there will be "FIRE (NEW PLAYER)" threads sprouting up on the board.

2. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Thanks for the advice rockbox .. I always wanted to avoid ignoring anyone, but I think you might be right ... I guess its the only thing I can do

3. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

Im just a long time Houston Rocket fan who's far to old to have basketball heroes, but I am a homer and that probably puts me in your stupid fan catagory. About the only Rocket that I really disliked, over the years was Joe Barry Carrol..because he didnt hustle. But I never hated him for it.

My beef with you so called educated fans is..STOP using our forum for your hate mail.

4. superpro

superpro Member

Sorry that you jumped to my ignore list volunteerly, but welcome. I didn't see any hatred in my previous message.

So, my beef with you so-called homer is .. STOP using our forum for your hate mail and STOP being used to be a loser. Get some life, and be in a winner.

Boy, it must feel really bad being a loser for that long.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

superpro

this will be the only time I respond to you since you just made my ignore list with your abusive and childish antics.

So dont bother to repond, I wont see it or respond.

zzhiggins has probably forgotten more about bball than you have ever known, so dont assume you are so superior in your knowledge.
    you are a condescending twit who doesnt really understand whatit means to be a fan of a team.
    Why dont you go watvch the Fakers or Utah or something if you love beautiful basketball so much.
    We wont miss you here.

btw...would you talk like that to your grandfather?
    have you no respect for your elders?

glad to see ya back zzhiggins...you guys coming back to HTown anytime soon?

6. superpro

superpro Member

I don't think two losers can make a winner, but welcome to my ignore list.

7. DreamFranchise1

The bottom line is that Mobley was too stupid to know that Yao takes care of the boards. And his high shooting %, he shoots 100 times a game! That si all he'll ever be good for. We need someone who can not only shoot, but has the smarts to dish it off or not shoot if you aren't feeling it. I've been saying it all along, Mobley is a cancer to this team.

8. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I think Mobley is only part of a problem. Steve is another part. The problem is here, but I am not sure trade is the best solution. Give some time JVG to coach before any possible trade. :rolleyes:

9. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

See here is what I don't understand about the so called REAL HOUSTON FANS. I don't claim to be the greatest basketball genius and I know some here have watched the game far longer than me (probably been watching before I was born). But even I know that Cat is basically almost at his prime, which means that HE BASICALLY WON'T GET ANY BETTER and the only chance in hell he'll ever improve is by GETTING SMARTER, which we haven't seen even a teaser of in his 5 year tenure. Even Steve, who arguably is the dumbest and most immature player on the team is trying to make changes this season. Yet I'm still looking for evidence that Cat, who some "REAL ROCKETS FANS" defend with a passion on this board, to improve. So my question, which I've asked 4 times and counting, which also has been conveniently ignore by you REAL ROCKETS FANS (or do you find it hard to come up with answers), is how long. Namely, how long do we give Cat to keep making dumb mistakes. I was willing to give Steve more time because:
    1. he's the better player
    2. he's younger
    3. MOST IMPORTANTLY, he showing he's trying to change

But how long do you give Cat? Another year? 2 years? 5 years? Until he retires? If none of you can come up with a reasonable response after I CALLED Y'ALL OUT FOR 4 TIMES, then it should be pretty obvious what we should do with Cat. It should also be pretty obvious what kind of fans you are.

10. DonKnutts

DonKnutts Contributing Member

MFW2130,

You've proven your point. You wish to see Cat waived or traded. Some Rockets fans here acknowledge his weaknesses but accept them with the strengths in his game. You don't. That is exceedingly clear. So I think you can be a tad less antagonistic in your approach. Speaking for the so-called REAL ROCKETS FANS: We hear you, but we disagree. Are you too pigheaded to understand that we're entitled to our own opinion?

11. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

I am a big Yao supporter and I have no problem with Mobley's game. I thought he played pretty good at Portland, don't know why you guys are bashing him. Sure he makes a mistake by stripping the ball away from Yao at a time when every possession is crucial and since players tend to be a little more aggressive when time is running out, you can't fault him for doing that. I seen teams had moments like that in the NBA. I remembered KIngs' lost some of their games like that too during the years when teammates faught for rebounds and ended up out of bound and then lost the game. Shyt happened in the NBA when the game gets intense.

Also the refs were horrible in the Portland game, they have soo many calls that are up in the air and they called everything favor Portland. A lot of them look like a clear block and ended up being a fault. The refs literally help shift the mometum of the game in favor of Portland.

Oh one more thing, why is it that JJ shooting technical and not Francis or Mobley, i am REALLY puzzled by that decision. Are you telling me JJ is a better FT shooter than Mobley? Give me a break. I think he had missed 2 technicals so far already....ONE in Portland and one from 2 games ago.

12. MFW2310

DonKnutts, it's quite simple. Every player has strengths and weaknesses, to be a fan of any team means taking strengths along with the weaknesses. It's as simple as that. But at some point, any smart team is gonna ask itself, does the strengths of a particular player outweighs his weakness. And if not, a smart team will make changes. It's as simple as that. Quite frankly Cat has reached that point right now and I am not sure his strength outweighs his weakness. The number one defence some Cat fans has given is that any criticism towards him would make the poster a Yao only fan. I asked a very simple question (for 5 times already I might add), namely, how long do we give Cat, a veteran of 5 years, to make dumb mistakes. No one has answered that and Rocketmanjosh comes in here and turns it into another Yao vs. Cat thread and claimed basically I'm out a true Rockets fan. So you tell me who's being antagonistic. You are right that I wish to see him traded though.

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I'm sure some here do that, I don't, and from what I have seen, most of your better posters don't resort to that tactic when discussing.

The whole labeling of fan this or fan that is a waste of time.

Like DonKnutts said, there are plenty of people here who are team fans...we dont prefer one player over the other.they are all on my team. the only differnece here is the fact that some dont agree with the view that we need to make changes yet.

I am of the opinion that giving the new coach at least half the season to see if he can effect changes would be a good idea.
    Someo thers here who also argue against making changes in personnel yet are also of this school of thought.

Just because we are more patient than the others here who want to immediately trade the players they dont like, doesnt make us any less of a fan than them.
    Thats the misconception that some have...that just because we dont feel the need for a change, we are somehow worth less as fans than the ones that are ultra-critical of the team.

I think Mobley is still conrtributing more than he is detracting from the team. If VG is unable to bring them together this year, then yes...I would want to see a move made.

Using the past years as an absolute to measure the success this year isnt quite fair...they have been new aspects added to the team that could effect how the players play.
    At least try to be fair enough to give the coach some time to do the job he is here to do.

sorry for ranbling..hope you undestand where Im coming from.

14. MFW2310

Fair enough.