1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nike's bid: Second bid for Yao=Lebron James+2/3*Kobe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by enigmacx, Nov 21, 2003.

1. enigmacx

enigmacx Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2003-11-21/2119667674.shtml

It's by Yao's buddy reporter Yi Yang.

It said Yao would choose Nike if the difference is no bigger than $5million cuz Nike helped Yao so much in his early career. Yao almost had chosen Nike. But there is a problem in the contract. Don't know intentional mistake or not. Yao said:" You can bid less but you should be honest to me." Yao made his decision to choose Rbk. After Nike was informed, they increased their bid to a incredable level as said in the title cuz they know they need yao at whatever price. Yao finally choose Rbk with 40% price of Nike's second bid because he feel comfortable with Rbk although Nike's Yao11 looks nice.

Still a lot of other insider stuff. Somebody else can choose to translate. :)

Enjoy,

2. Shrimpie

Shrimpie Member

Boy, tons of inside information:

CD had dinner with Yao at the end of last season before Yao left for Shanghai. During the dinnder, CD asked Yao the following quesitons: (i) who are your two least favorite players in the team? (ii) who are your two most favorite players in the team? (iii) if Rudy is gone, what do you think of JVG?

Wow. Enjoy, more to come.

Shrimpie

3. sun12

sun12 Member

Reebok's bid is only 40% of Nike's and has the requirement that Yao has to appear in the All Star game for at least 3 times?

Well, I think Yao will appear in All Star games for at least 3 times if he does not get injuried. He won't start this year, but he will go.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

No offense to the Chinese media, but this sounds like a HUGE exaggeration.

5. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

My gut told me the Yang Yi guy is not very trustworthy....

6. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

7. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Just to clarify, that amount, according to the article is the amount of the second bid of NIKE after they made a blunder and realized Yao would sign with RBK.

8. Shrimpie

Shrimpie Member

I don't know. In general, Chinese media are not reliable. But this Yang Yi guy is kind of different. His career depends on Yao (in some sense he is China' Ahmad Rashad) so I don't see why he would fabricate something that might piss off Yao Ming. Besides, I feel at least the first two questions are legitimate questions.

Shrimpie

9. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

Nike's bid or the threee questions?

10. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

There may be some truth to the story. But I belive Yang exagerated a bit to make it seem more dramatic.

11. WNBA

WNBA Member

Yao's answer:

1). Posey , Rice.

2) Boki . Mooche

3) JVG? I only eat MSG.

12. danjojo

danjojo Member

maybe tranny can fill us in ? i'm sure he was there...

13. superpro

superpro Member

Same feeling here. He might be a male gold digger or whatever.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The questions.

GM's don't get advice on player moves or coaches from players.

15. matthe

matthe Member

Yao didnot answer CD's questions based on the article.

you are misleading.

16. Lionel

Lionel Member

Wow!!!!

Lots of inside stuff!! Much more colorful and stuffy than "Inside the NBA", we should call it "Inside the Rockets". wow!!

Hope someone can translate. I mean the whole article.

This will make this forum as my water boiling kettle.

"It's great to be a Rocket fun!!" - so much interesting stuff. Already make my life much more enjoyable when reading threads on this forum. Keep coming, guys, keep coming!!

17. Shrimpie

Shrimpie Member

That's not true. Popvich asked Tony Parker about pursing Kidd, I believe I also asked Duncan.

Shrimpie

18. NClady

NClady Contributing Member

Firstable, I think the reporter Yi Yang is very close to Yao, so I believe this story.

Secondable, in deal with Yao, Nike was using america way, bussiness way, but Yao is different, he feel money is not the only important thing. Nike lose to Rbk because they forget Yao's personality.

19. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Remember the days when we used to always agree? ( Me neither, but it wasn't this bad...;) }

Gotta go against you on this one, Jeff. Several instances of GM's asking star player's 'advice' on personel decisions...ostensibly to get the player-side feel for things, but usually percieved as really being about star treatment and making them feel all warm and fuzzy about their team.

Of instances I happen to knwo to be factual are Toronto included Carter in many of the decisions the year he re-signed...including getting Dream. I have heard several places that Garnett's opinion was asked for and taken into account in some ( don't know which ones) of their off season acquisitions. Iverson has repeatedly been in on personel decisions in Philly, etc.

Now I know that the players' opinion isn't always followed...but it isn't unusual for it to be sought out before the fact.

20. sun12

sun12 Member

"I believe I also asked Duncan"

Woow, you are Popvich ? Can you give us some hints how you picked Parker and Ginobilli? Do you run quantitative stuffs on players' performance?