1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[2017] Hurricane Season

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Apr 17, 2017.

1. The Stig

The Stig Member

From my understanding, that was due to two pressures colliding with one another causing a deadlock kept the storm from moving through. I don't see anything that suggests that the storm in Florida is making a sudden turn like that. Maybe I am a confused human being...

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There might be some hope for Miami. After Hurricane Andrew Florida really beefed up it's building codes for storm resistance. Given a lot of those expensive condos and houses were built after Andrew they might not be devestated. Miami has also upgraded its stormwater systems to handle flooding. Also as the hurricane comes around Cuba it might lose some strength from the mountains.

Yes Irma will cause a lot of damage but there is some hope that it won't be complete destruction in Florida.

DonKnock likes this.
  3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

But what about Jose doing the cleanup hitting?

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Jose is not likely to have any impact in Florida.

[​IMG]

DonKnock likes this.
  6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I have no doubt that these houses are worth that but would it really cost that much to rebuild them? Would it take 795K to rebuild your condo? Most of the land will still be there and i think that is where most of the value is coming from.

7. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

The weather has been very nice lately. Many plants, factories and oil drilling companies are shut down. A lot of cars got flooded and there is so much less pollution in the city of Houston. Less traffic and movement all around, less people driving through the city. I looked up the weather in my area and found this:

85 degrees high
    64 degrees low

64 low in Summer! That means the humidity is gone and we actually have clean air for once. Cold nights in Houston? I conpared it to the weather last year and it was:

96 high
    75 low

11 degrees different. That is huge. Harvey has shown Houston's weather problem is really a pollution problem. Too many trucks bumper to bumper and Texas supplies and drills 1/3 of the countries oil.

https://www.wunderground.com/histor....zip=77014&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999&MR=1

DonKnock, Hakeemtheking and Ubiquitin like this.
  8. miamirocketman

You're absolutely correct, its pretty doubtful the cost to rebuild those homes is all in the home. I can't imagine construction costs exceed $500/foot which is really high honestly. The condos I have no doubt most will be fine with some possible flood damage if any windows break. It's just such a status symbol in florida to have a waterfront home and in miami beach you have star island which is like $25m+ for all homes and there's maybe 20? They're all waterfront and would be toast with any significant rise in water levels. The ones that I think are in deep doo doo are Golden Beach, those are literally on the beach and these rich guys are about to find out why dropping $40-50m to have sand and the ocean in your backyard is a bad bad idea

DonKnock likes this.
  9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The traffic has been much worse even with fewer cars.

Torn n Frayed and Sajan like this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A cold front blew through.

11. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Irma may have a chance to surpass Harvey as far as total dollar damage, but I personally don't think it will. Now if Irma hit and sat there like Harvey, then yes, it will be a lot closer. All of the homes in Houston that flooded have to basically be completely rebuilt. In a Hurricane, even one as strong as Irma, you won't have 10's of thousands of homes literally gutted to the studs and you won't have well over half a million cars waiting to be taken to a salvage yard. Florida also has very well built houses and building codes that Houston SEVERELY lacks. Hopefully after Harvey there are some major changes in that regard.

I have no doubt Irma can cost upwards of 190 billion in damages, but I think Harvey will beat that when all is said in done. This is a very dire situation for the government, FEMA, and everyone else involved. Almost all of the Texas coastline and the 4th (soon to be 3rd) largest city in America (there are plenty of million dollar homes that flooded). was damaged heavily and now Florida is starring down a barrel of .50 cal rifle..

There is really no good in this situation, from any angle, and damage costs will take months to determine. Just hope and pray the death toll from Harvey doesn't rise any more and everyone in Florida is taking this very seriously and gets the hell out of the path. I lost everything I own in Harvey and I still have water in my house (off Memorial and Eldridge). I can tell you personally, materialistic things can be replaced. Memories, pictures, etc hurt to lose, but a life is more important than all of the above.

12. miamirocketman

It's possible but the thing thats nuts with this storm is right now its shifting west and people in miami are somewhat relieved a little but guess whats in its path now, Naples, another city on the west coast littered with multimillion dollar homes. It's like every direction it turns there's some expensive real estate in its path, with houston it looks like River Oaks,West u, Tanglewood, etc were all spared.The high dollar stuff has nowhere to hide with irma which was my reason for thinking it would be way worse. I wish this big, ugly storm could just rip through the everglades and leave everyone alone!

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Correct me if I'm wrong. I know no one wants to be near the eye of the hurricane and its strongest winds, as the track formerly showed was Miami's fate. But isn't Miami now going to be on the dirty side of the storm (future track shifts notwithstanding)?

DonKnock likes this.
  14. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Yeah. For a storm moving north, the north-east quadrant is the worst.

15. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

You can stay in denial, but there is a lot less humidity and it is undeniable.

DonKnock likes this.
  16. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Um, a cold front is the sole reason we don't have high humidity right now... lol

17. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

DonKnock likes this.
  18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yikes. Brown has lost it

marks0223, tmacfor35 and davidio840 like this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Too obvious.

BigM, pippendagimp and davidio840 like this.
  20. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I am not trolling, look above your post.

If you truly believe pollution does not have both short and long term effects on climate then this discussion is not worth continuing.

DonKnock likes this.