1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I lost my home today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Aug 29, 2017.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don't have a lot at the moment because being in graduate school student and paying child support. I usually break even or so every month after paying everything.

What I do come across often enough though because of my job are gift cards to restaurants. So whenever this all settles down and you two have an address to send one you will have a meal on me.

justtxyank, DonKnock, MadMax and 4 others like this.
  2. Raz

Raz Member

So sorry, hard to imagine what you guys have to go through. Sending my best wishes to justtxyank, zzpot and the others affected. I hope you find the strength to endure this and a way back to your normal life.

3. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

I feel for you who have lost your homes. if it stays under water for more then 4- 6 weeks it is probably to far along to save from what I read.

My house was dry at 12:05 am Saturday by 12:15 it had 8 inches. When I got back to look at it Tuesday I was so overwhelmed with sadness. I just did not know where to start. The flood insurance agent has not been out to check it and they just don;t want pictures they want to visually see it . So it is just setting there with all the carpet STINKING and rottening till they get out the next 4 to 8 days to look at it.

I heard that in Louisianian that Bonds Disinfectant 32 was the best black mold killer and that you also need Bounds b1o activator I haven't been able to find those yet so if any of you internet search gurus can find it please add a link on this thread I am sure a lot oh us would appreciate it.

DonKnock, CometsWin, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Damn. Damn. So sorry, I know that doesn't help or mean much right now, but still.

The Highland Lakes area housed a ton of Katrina/Rita evacuees, and a whole bunch of them decided to stay. Just saying.

5. Buck Turgidson

I've never used it, but this is what a bunch of the guys were recommending down in Rockport:

[​IMG]

DonKnock, No Chance and Yung-T like this.
  6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

just now saw this. No words .

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is honestly so amazing. I know it sounds silly but someone bought me a burger today and it felt like the best meal in my life.

RocketWalta, DonKnock, B-Bob and 7 others like this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

@justtxyank, I flooded too, and will be out of my home for months, don't know what the kids will do for school, etc. But, I know my house can be rehabbed. You got it worse. That's tough. I'm sorry.

DonKnock, B-Bob, Easy and 5 others like this.
  9. zzpot

zzpot Member

Channel 11 is saying that the Crosby chemical plant did explode about an hour ago....... Crosby Texas is North West of Houston they did not know if the air around there is a hazard to breath.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm sorry to hear that brother. That's gotta be so much tougher to deal with watching your daughter go through that pain with you. I hope this will bring your family closer together.

Yung-T likes this.
  11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Good thing you have the flood insurance. I'd be trying to get the soonest appointment I could with a restoration company (though I'm sure that may be a long wait).

I feel for everybody out there right now with damage or out of work. Life becomes such a routine that I imagine having everything up in the air is incredibly stressful.

justtxyank and Yung-T like this.
  12. justtxyank

Do you get a restoration appointment when you are still under water?

13. No Chance

Thank you! I ordered some.

DonKnock likes this.
  14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I've only dealt with flooding as are result of a pipe in my house, and they will pump the water out, but for those of you still underwater, obviously they won't be able to get to you until the water recedes. It can't hurt to contact them though. The restoration company will handle dealing with your insurance.

15. justtxyank

I'm a little overwhelmed by this. My house has feet of water in it still and the whole area is flooded still. Don't know what cleanup even entails at this point

Yung-T likes this.
  16. No Chance

I wish I could take you out and buy you a great meal. My house is only about a foot of water but I have flood insurance and savings which I do not want to tap into but will have to because I know the insurance company is out to get out cheap.

17. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I'm not sure, but won't FEMA pick up much of the tab?

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

FEMA has set limits by laws. I think it's 33k max cash grant for all disaster assistance (temp housing, emergency cash, repair...). Low interest loan is limited to 200k for home repair or replacement and 40k for destroyed personal property.

Everyone (with no flood ins) should apply for FEMA as soon as possible.

Texas may throw in additional assistance on top of FEMA (both Louisiana and NY/NJ did this for their recent disaster).

Also, concerning the other poster's comment on flood ins - it's a national program run by FEMA. I haven't heard of a single bad story about claims (in fact, the opposite - well run and fair), but I have heard of some horrible stories of denied grant/assistance by FEMA that were clearly wrong.

DonKnock and justtxyank like this.
  19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Happy to have a burger and beer with you when I get back to town.

justtxyank likes this.
  20. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

@justtxyank
    @zzpot
    @JuanValdez
    @No Chance
    @BimaThug

I can help with demolition/debris removal at any of your homes. I've done 5 already and going for houses with deeper water tomorrow. I have experience working with Habitat for Humanity instructing volunteers how to do these types of constuction jobs.

If I'm not working on a house at the time I'd love to come help any of you guys out.