1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agency Query

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Something came up on Houston talk radio today about the Rockets (surprise, surprise) and the point was made that the Rockets would likely draft a small forward this summer.

Assuming we could get Webber (which is a BIG if), would anyone here be opposed to bringing back Taylor and playing Webber at the 5?

If we were able to get Battier, which is really in range in terms of his draft position, size and the type of player he is, we could move Williams and one of our other picks for future considerations.

Now, before you rush to the "hell yeah" reply, all of this means we could NOT re-sign Shandon Anderson. It would leave us a bit thin at guard, but Mobley and Francis get most of the minutes there. It would also mean that Battier would have to play immediately and his back up would be Langhi.

This also means Olajuwon would not be re-signed.

Personally, I would be all over that. I hate doing these, but this line-up would be sick for years...

Francis
    Mobley
    Battier
    Taylor
    Webber

Cato
    Collier
    Thomas
    Rogers
    Norris
    Langhi
    Bullard

It still leaves some oddities like Kenny Thomas and Carlos Rogers as extra EXTRA power forwards. I would think there would have to be some type of trade where we could get young guard help in return for Thomas, Rogers or both.

Then, there is Bullard as well.

Thoughts? Comments?

------------------
    "Oh, God. I wish I was a loofa."

2. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

That would be alright if CWebb would accept center position, which he said he does not want to do. I also hear that Shandon is planning on opting out for more money. I really like Webber, but I think we should try to keep what we have now and let them do what they're currently doing. If nothing else try to get Mo to come off the bench for instant sixth man offense if we get Webb. The only position we really need to worry about is center, but who knows maybe Cato will step up, but I'd rather have Dream for his last year.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Wakko67 (edited March 19, 2001).]

3. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

*cough cough*

I want to slap you, but you have too many posts for me to get away with it. [​IMG]

Instead, I'll just say "Well.. duh! Yeah, of course that's a great lineup."

Webber's out of position at the 5, but really, who the hell cares as long as he's on the floor.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

4. haven

haven Member

I like it, but where exactly is Battier projected?

------------------
    Boston College - Big East -East Division Regular Season Champs

Worst to First in 2001!

5. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

They say Battier would be a good small foward and would fit good with our team.

------------------

6. haven

haven Member

I'm sorry, I meant... about what DRAFT POSITION is Battier projected for?

------------------

Worst to First in 2001!

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Battier is projected around the middle of the first round.

------------------
    "Oh, God. I wish I was a loofa."

8. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

loofa n : dried fibrous part of the gourd-like fruit of a plant of the genus Luffa; used as a washing sponge or strainer

------------------
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."-
    (Aldous Huxley)

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Im sorry, but I dont understand these random definitions stuck in the middle of threads.
    They are both funny (not as much anymore though) and annoying.

Why doesnt someone just start a word of the day thread in the hangout section--

you could put all the definitions you want over there [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------

10. haven

haven Member

My dad used to grow loofa's in his garden. They were pretty neat... never felt so clean as when I scrubbed with one [​IMG]

------------------

Worst to First in 2001!

11. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Jeff,

as everyone as said they key is will Webber come here if he has to play lots of minutes at the 5 spot, the way the league is heading there are less and less Power centres in the league and more and more they are finesse guy (often european) who Mo would certainly be able to guard and leave Webber to guard the Wallaces, Malones, Grants, Cambys of the league. And I suppose Cato can be used as foul fodder against the big power centres.

Now the other issue of bring up is Losing Shandon, now if it means getting Webber then no probs, I would say thanks for your hard work here shandon and good luck in the future, and hopefully you can find some consistent offense where ever you go. Being short at the guard spot is no problem, Steve and Mobes can easily play plus 40 no probs, and Mooch can cover both back for the two plus i am sure CD and Rudy can draft a back up 2 guard in the second round of the draft. The only issue i have with letting Shandon go is the damage that is done to the Rockets reputation for looking after players.

Smeg

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

12. BobFinn*

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

offer the standard Cato and Walt, see if they bite?

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It just seems so random....but just so I dont seem too much like a prick [​IMG]

invective \in-VEK-tiv\, noun:
    1. An abusive expression or speech; a vehement verbal attack.
    2. Insulting or abusive language.

---------------------

If we keep Cato I actually have no problem starting Cato and Webber and then taking Cato out early and putting MoTay in.
    That is just how I would go about it though.

If Battier was on our team I guess I would be forced to like him, despite the wrinkly head and funny teeth.

What would his nickname be though?

------------------

15. chinese

chinese Member

In the middle of first round?
    I thought he is expected to be much highter,
    ESPN guys keep saying that he is the best,
    I don't buy it all,but top five is conceivable for him.

------------------

16. BobFinn*

Jay, it wasn't really random. I read Jeff's signature and wondered what a loofa was and thought I would share.

Now to find out who the quote is from [​IMG]

------------------
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."-
    (Aldous Huxley)

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited March 19, 2001).]

17. T_money

T_money Member

Jeff, are you putting into account that we make the playoffs?

If we didnt we would hve to garenteed picks, (Rockets and Milwaukee
    do you expect us to have to trade both picks, to get Battier. Also Webber is going to cost us around 12 million wouldnt we have extra to sign SA or go after someone like Ruben Patterson?

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Few things: I would think Battier would go higher (though you never know since 7-foot 12 year olds generally rise to lottery prominence come draft time) and if the Rockets make the playoffs they lose their pick to Vancouver.

Wondering if the Rockets can do an "Early Bird" sign and trade with Shandon if it's not going to be a long-term relationship.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

[This message has been edited by Clutch (edited March 19, 2001).]

19. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

How about LOS to Miami for Davis?

------------------

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The loofa quote came from "Stripes."

As for Battier, I've read at least 2 places and heard at least one "Rocket expert" journalist say he would be around near when the Rockets drafted.

They might have to attempt a move up but they will be in the ballpark because quite a few underclassmen are expected to come out, there are at least 2 or 3 high prospects coming out of Europe and at least 2 or 3 from high school.

------------------
    "I swallowed a lot of agression...along with a lot of pizzas."