1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dieting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dankstronaut, Aug 17, 2017.

1. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

Yeah, I'm young, but so is my girlfriend and her Vitamin D and B12 were low and the same doctor told her "don't worry, everyone's is low". Plus I'm 29 now, stalker (jk). Anyway, yeah you're right, I will think those docs are BS and I guarantee I can find articles that contradict them. That's how it is now depending on who funded the study. Good on you, though, because your diet is much better than most people.

Like I said, I don't think any diet that requires a supplement is a good, natural diet. Do some reading up on supplements, and what you'll find are proven facts.

2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

3. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I'm not trying to pass judgment, just trying to address someone that thinks a Vegan diet is non sense, but doesn't really know anything about it and the health improvements of those on the diet. I was suggesting something he could watch to see some information on it...sorry if that really bothered you and seemed 'preachy'.

Honestly, for me, I don't really care about doing some 'great' deed, I couldn't care less actually...I just care about my health and my family's health. There have been some disease issues in my family recently that have me thinking twice about how I've been eating all my life...especially with the family members being sick even though they've lived an 'active' lifestyle.

How does my diet consist 'heavy' on glutens and GMOs? Because I have 2 pieces of whole wheat toast in the morning? I highly doubt that makes my entire days worth of food "heavy" on glutens...not sure how you're getting that.

And soy milk...once in the morning? Really? Honestly most of the time it's almond milk, but i happen to be drinking soy milk recently. Does it have some evidence claiming it's 'bad' for you...it appears to...but have you even looked at the evidence of cow milk and it's effect on your body (greatly increased cancer incidences), or is that evidence 'false' to you? Honestly, I'll take your advice and look into soy milk a little more and if it's bad, I'll definitely switch to something else.

Also, I don't get where you get, "But how are you going to reference documentaries and preach a Vegan diet if you really don't know if meat and dairy is bad for you and leads to health concerns?"

There is a ton of evidence that shows how bad meat and dairy are...hell look around you...look at our diet. Do you ever wonder why we basically lead the world in cancer and cardiovascular deaths each year? We spend more money on healthcare than any other country in the world, but we're the sickest. Hell, this is with even 'active' folks. Why do you think that is? Honestly, to me anyways, it seems like the biggest contributor is diet...hell we should expect a country to lead the world in cancer and CV diseases when the government is suggesting it is good for us to eat between 4-6 total combined meat and dairy servings a day.

Sorry if my vegan decisions bother you and if I'm coming off like a snob or something, but look in to it...seriously, look at the incidences of disease in people on whole foods, plant based diets and compare them to your typical western meat, dairy, and occasional vegetable diet. It's scary how comfortable we've become to stuff that we shouldn't be eating every day. It shouldn't be a surprise that we're as sick as we are. Personally I'm not going down that path anymore...

Rox_fan_here likes this.
  4. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Its bullshit because it just means you don't eat animals. I could drink coke and eat snickers bars and biscuits all day and call myself a vegan. However that particular diet is terrible. You can be a healthy vegan or an unhealth vegan.

I have a very meat heavy diet doing keto right now and also feel great. I don't feel keto is a good long term diet, but its great to cut weight relatively quickly without starving yourself. The key culprit in the American diet is carbs. Cut those way back and you should do well no matter what else you eat.

5. val_modus

val_modus Member

While what your saying is in large part correct, I think there is a theme that you may be missing here. Most people who go vegan do so because of an increased awareness of what they're putting into their bodies, and the peer reviewed research/literature that goes into the implications of their new diet. Because of this, it's rather rare to find a vegan who eats primarily tortilla chips and oreos. Whereas most people who consume animal products do so because of culture and conditioning in the form of advertisements and what the meat/dairy industry has shoved down our throats (look at dairy and the calcium campaign). Can you consume a diet that contains meats in very moderate portions and live a healthy lifestyle? Absolutely. But that shouldn't take away from what a vegan diet can do for the greater percentage of our population who may be pre-diabetic or hypertensive.

6. Agent94

Agent94 Member

This is completely wrong. A high fat, high protein, low carb diet is way better for a diabetic than a vegan diet. A high carb diet is the cause of type 2 diabetes and there are many high carb vegetables that a diabetic should not eat.

There are many ways to skin a cat. You can be healthy eating lots of meat or no meat. The key is getting the right mix of macro and micro nutrients. How you do that doesn't really matter. The problem with the American diet is not meat, its carbs.

You may have an ethical issue with meat and that's fine. But saying its a nutritional problem (especially with regard to diabetes) is plain wrong.

smitheygerard and Os Trigonum like this.
  7. val_modus

val_modus Member

Not sure about this. I tend to defer to the experts on this subject, as I won't claim to be a nutrition expert. But several of the leading experts on this topic who have published hundreds of peer reviewed papers on the subject, and hold international conferences of the leading voices on diabetes prevention and reversal (Dr Bernard and Dr Gregor) claim that high fat meats are the real culprit of insulin resistance. It's telling that the American Diabetes Association is backed by the meat and dairy industry.

8. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Neal D. Barnard is an American non-practicing psychiatrist, author, clinical researcher, and founding president of the vegan and animal rights activist group, Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.

smitheygerard likes this.
  9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

The answer is to eat as much sashimi as possible

10. Asian Sensation

11. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

walnuts have more protein than kidneys and for some reason are not good for kidneys as pecans.

12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Harvey isn't doing me any good lol...spaghetti spaghetti spaghetti...

Probly goin for a rain run and work out before it hits later

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Fats, like carbs, can be good or bad depending on the type / quantity. Protein/carbs have 4 calories per gram, fat has 9 calories per gram. Take that into account when talking about weight loss.

It's possible to have a vegan or vegetarian diet that isn't loaded with carbs, it's the diet I follow for nutritional reasons. Most vegetables are low carb. It comes down to getting the most nutrients, with the fewest calories. It's possible to have a very low carb veg diet, I don't, probably around 35% of my diet is carbs, I feel like that's a good amount. I completely cut out carbs once, felt totally starved and gained 5 pounds.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I told one of my coworkers thats female doctor how to lose weight and she has lost 25 pounds in the last 2 months. 80% diet, 20% training. Weigh yourself everyday to hold yourself accountable.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  15. davo

davo Contributing Member

I would stay away from the shakes to be honest - so many good options for healthy, low calorie, low fat meals.

And I've found that snacking all day as opposed to eating a larger portion is a bit counterproductive. I know a lot of people recommend this, but unless you are really discliplined, you will probably just end up eating more

Dankstronaut likes this.
  16. gambingo

gambingo Member

I've lost about 6 pounds in the last month and half by just eating less per meal than i normally would. I'm 5'8 and 148lbs right now, and would love to lose a few more lbs especially around the stomach :(

17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

From 332.3 to 290.2 since I started counting calories, walking and doing yoga on May 4th. I have at >100#'s left to lose but hey I've lost 12.7% of my body weight and I'm trending in the right direction.

Rocketman95, davo and Os Trigonum like this.
  18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

the shake replacement meal isn't gonna work for me. just isn't enough for a lunch...but it's too much for a snack! decisions...

the snacking does help me, i think i'm fairly disciplined about it. kinda keeps my energy (and hunger) at an even level all day instead of ups and downs revolving around meal times. and i portion stuff, so as not to over eat!

19. Agent94

Agent94 Member

20. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

A vegan diet is a whole foods, plant based diet...little to no processed foods. If you see a Vegan drinking soda and eating candy bars please tell them that they're "doing it wrong."

It seems like everyone that tries to rip apart a vegan diet say, "see, see! this has no meat or dairy so you MUST be eating TONS of this and it's crap!!!!!"

It's simply not true. It's like saying that if you eat meat and dairy that I automatically think, "see see!!! you must be eating double cheeseburgers deep fried in lard with 6 different types of cheese, four times a day!!!" (although that does sound kind of good :/)

The diet is mainly unprocessed whole foods. Beans, nuts, fruit, vegetables, rice, spices. Hell it's not like a religion or some crap like that...I've had meat twice a month now. The little bit of meat I have hasn't effected the weight I've loss (15 lbs so far), or the drop of cholesterol I've had (from 215 to 165), or my blood pressure returning to normal after 10 years...I'm 43 now.

Again, I'm not trying to be holier than thou...It's just sad to know that the vast majority of people on this board are going to have heart attacks or cancer going into their mid to late fifties when they could be living into their 70's, 80's, hell their 90's, virtually disease free if they just change their diet. It really is that simple. But hell, I've been around the D&D long enough to know I'm not going to change anyone's mind. Folks like AS are going to think I'm just 'snobby' and think I'm better than everyone else. So be it :/. Good luck.

Rox_fan_here likes this.