1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

August 31 Trade Deadline/Waived Players Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Puss In Booty

Puss In Booty Member

We have no use for a guy that goes 8, surrenders one hit, & shuts out his opponent. Insanity.

2. KeuchelForPresident

This year's IRS% (Inherited Runners who Score) is a ghastly 39%. That is up from 31% last season and 24% in 2015. It's definitely a problem.

We can safely assume that the IRS% of the minor league fill-in pitchers like Tolliver & Jankowski are irrelevant for the playoff run as those guys won't make the playoff roster anyway, but among pitchers who could conceivably play in the postseason we have:

Hoyt - 11 of 18 IR's scored (61%)
    Feliz - 13 of 26 (50%)
    Giles - 7 of 14 (50%)
    Musgrove - 2 of 4
    Gregerson - 3 of 8 (38%)
    Harris - 6 of 17 (35%)
    Peacock - 1 of 3
    Sipp - 3 of 10
    Devenski - 9 of 32 (28%)
    Martes - 0 of 6

In my estimation, a contending playoff team needs to maintain the IRS ratio under 30%. Hoyt, Feliz, and Giles have been the biggest culprits in elevating this season's figure.

In July, I'd have really liked to see Luhnow pursue Anthony Swarzak (IRS% of 25% this year). Unfortunately, the Brewers got Swarzak - and at a very reasonable price - so he'll not be replacing a Feliz or Hoyt.

BigMaloe and Houstunna like this.
  3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Good stuff.

I suspect the Astros will lean heavily on Giles, Harris & Devo to shoulder most of their relief work in the postseason. I suppose Martes and Musgrove, given recent results and their live arms, are pushing their way into the conversation, and they'll have Gregerson for low-leverage situations. Other than that, I mean - I'd be surprised if any one else logs significant innings in October.

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Interesting, but inheriting a guy on 1st is different than on 3rd. Like to see this taken into account in some manner rather than a strait percentage.

BigMaloe and KeuchelForPresident like this.
  6. 1234567

1234567 Member

Velander or bust

If nothing else for morale boost for team and fans.

And I bet if they lose tonight they will.

That would make the current ace ineffective for whatever the reason. Still hurt, pressing, whatever.

Hoping they win to avoid 6 game losing streak.

But they should still do it just to get the shot in the arm, that adrenaline hit of getting a sp that will allow the rotation to move a reliever back to the pen.

7. KeuchelForPresident

I don't know so much about advanced stats. I agree that this is an important distinction, as is the number of outs in the inning when the reliever entered and even the speed of the inherited runners. If anyone knows of a resource that gives these kinds of detailed/weighted stats, I'd really like to know more about it. I would imagine that the Astros internally keep track of these things though that information may not make it to websites like Fangraphs.

8. Major

Major Member

Spending $50,000,000 to boost player and especially fan morale is a sure way to run a franchise into the ground.

Hey Now! likes this.
  9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

10. BMoney

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

12. Nook

Nook Member

Pretty much...

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What does this say about Will Harris' health?

14. KeuchelForPresident

That's a curious choice. Besides the fact his name always sounds like "Clipart" to me, this is a guy who's been trending in the wrong direction the past couple of years. HRs and BBs are pretty high for Clipart, which make me wonder whether he (as a mainly flyball pitcher) could hack it at MMP. We don't need a pitcher who is going to imitate the worst of Mike Fiers' habits or bring us the negative side of 'Lima Time' again. Not sure what the attraction is here.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Possibly nothing. The Astros needed bullpen help. Not my first choice (and I suspect we over pay) but after blowing the trade deadline, I am not sure there is much pen help out there without taking on a contract like Melancon.

16. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Clippard has actually been really, really good since the trade to Chicago. He was also strong in the second half last season.

He's not the piece that will put us over the top, but he's certainly better than most of what we've been throwing out lately.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's a short-burst pitcher who can still get outs in late game situations.... but I agree, he really isn't better than the guys they currently have (presuming that Devenski does at some point improve closer to where he was).

Also, if they were truly concerned about somebody imitating Mike Fiers... maybe they should stop pitching the actual Mike Fiers.

Lastly... HR rates at MMP haven't been as concerning as you're fearing since 2000.

18. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I will say this, Clippard has been trending in the right direction recently, at least just eyeballing his game log. He can't be any worse than Liriano.

sammy likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or eyeballing the quality outings he had against the Astros last week...

Nook likes this.
  20. BMoney