1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Food reviews

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Cranberry_Juice

Where would the best place be for chili? I like mine with extra beans.

2. Buck Turgidson

Cincinnati
    Spicy fried chicken tenders dipped in queso is a great combination. There's a local Mexican joint that will put diced tenders in their green chili enchiladas instead of the usual shredded stuff, if you ask. It's heavenly.

tmoney1101, Joshfast and CometsWin like this.
  3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Any conroe/woodlands suggestions?

Wouldn't mind trying something new soon

4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Y'all trying to kill OP?

Joshfast likes this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Get a rope.

Joshfast likes this.
  6. Cranberry_Juice

7. Roscoe Arbuckle

8. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

9. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I'm pro-beans in chili... the below argument pretty well sums up my feelings on the issue:

"Beans found their way into chili as a protein-packed supplement to meat for people who, because they were poor or because they had no easy local access to meat, could not put much in their pot. Which, since chili is essentially peasant stew designed to dress up the kinds of proteins that can't just be seared and served, makes beans a perfect chili ingredient, and it makes any teeth-gnashing over their inclusion scummy elitist nonsense. Chili would probably taste just splendid with Wagyu beef, king crab, sturgeon roe, and the last ******* panda cub in the world, but nobody takes up the pitchfork and storms his neighbor's castle for using regular humble ground chuck in chili. And anyway, beans taste good and add some welcome heft to the dish, so shut up.

(Note please that this is not the same thing as arguing that chili must contain beans. The precise point is that chili may contain beans, and that if you don't like beans you may decline to put them in yours, and that if you feel it necessary to browbeat people who put beans in their chili, you may fling yourself into a volcano and leave the world no worse off for the loss.)"

http://deadspin.com/how-to-make-chili-instead-of-just-arguing-about-it-all-1639775627

Rocketman95 and Killatron 2000 like this.
  10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

No you are fan of beans in some sort of soup/stew and for some reason want to bend reality to call it chili. No beans in chili.

CCorn likes this.
  11. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Thank you! I prefer no beans, but will gladly eat chili with beans. Mrs. 2000 likes beans in hers, so I put some in half the time. No big deal. Still tastes great, if you make it right . I certainly don't tell her "you ain't no real Texan ".

eric.81 likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You should checkout the beyond burger. It's just a patty, only sold in stores not a restaurant, but it's pretty damn good IMO for a veggie patty.

13. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

That really is unfortunate. My experience with the impossible burger was much more pleasant than FFB's. It was juicier than the typical dry veggie/black bean patties. Although there was a slight after taste, it definitely wasn't so off-putting as to make it inedible. Not sure that I'd go around recommending it, especially over any of the other offerings at Hopdoddy's, but it's worth a try.

Blake likes this.
  14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Born and bred Texan, and I make a pretty bad ass chili (no beans) that's too spicy for a lot of people to eat. And yet, I totally agree with this. Despite efforts to the contrary, chili is a very pedestrian dish. Sure, it calls for lots of beef, but it's not exactly calling for tenderloin. The fact that people get SO worked up over something so common is one of life's weird anomalies. It's like SCREAMING that you can't make a PB&J without homemade peanut butter. Makes no sense to me whatsoever, but some (weird) people act like it's the greatest travesty on earth. But oh well, I have my idiosyncrasies myself, so when I encounter these people, I just chuckle to myself; no sense pointing out their............well, you get the point.

eric.81 and Killatron 2000 like this.
  15. Killatron 2000

Are you proud of yourself? Now we got this whole chili debate going down! Nice bait, sir.

Cranberry_Juice likes this.
  16. Roscoe Arbuckle

The Rice Village Hopdoddy is best avoided right now. Staff is all over the place. I thought about giving it another shot, but at $14, I decided against.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

There's no debate. You're either right or wrong.

I had the Hopdoddy impossibly thing in Austin a month or so ago, it was tolerable, not as good as a real burger, but tolerable to almost good.

The best veggie burger I've ever had was at Hungry's Bistro on Memorial (my first job in HS), black bean patty with all kinds of goodness. Never found another quite like that.

18. Killatron 2000

I'm wrong. I guess I will punish myself with Hopdoddy Impossible burgers with bean tainted chili.

19. Buck Turgidson

Nah man, it's really simple: cook your chili in one pot, cook your beans in another. Mix together as needed when you eat.

Beans cooked with the chili messes up the seasoning and texture and flavor of both.

20. Killatron 2000

You're right. I always add them (if I add them) after I have cooked them both separately.