1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andrei Kirilenko in his prime vs. Draymon Green? who was the better player

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsTruth, Aug 1, 2017.

?

Who would you rather have on your favorite team?

1. Draymon Green

34 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. Andrei Kirilenko

24 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

AK was a freak. His length, mobility, and defense used to change games. He could guard multiple positions and used to shut the passing Lane and paint down with his long arms (steals or blocks).

What separated the two player is that Draymond Green is one dirty son of a b**** and there is never a level too low for him to stop to. He will do whatever it takes to win a d that goes beyond trash talking.

I think in terms of talent they are same but in terms of effectiveness Draymond is better because he has the Detroit bad boys look nailed down.

Just imagine Pistons of 80s and early 90s with Draymond Green on it.

dkim1984 likes this.
  3. Space City

Space City Member

People are heavily undervaluing Prime Kirilenko. In his prime, he was one of the most complete basketball players in the league. Clearly he was never a star, but he could fill up a stat sheet like very few others in the history of the league could.

There are only two players in the history of the NBA to record more than one 5x5 game, Hakeem Olajuwon (6 times) and Andrei Kirilenko (3 times). Also, Dr. J had one such game in the ABA and one in the NBA. Draymond's done it once so far. And as OP said, AK47 is the only player to ever record a 5x6 game.

Prime Kirilenko leads Green's best years in nearly every advanced stat (PER, WS, TS%, VORP). Many are faulting Kirilenko for not playing on good teams, but neither of these players are true #1 guys. Draymond wouldn't have nearly as much success if he wasn't surrounded by all-stars, and I can't really picture him leading his own team.

Draymond's a fine player too; I'd say he's definitely more complete a player than his teammate Klay Thompson. I just believe Kirilenko's good enough that this is worthy of a discussion, rather than everybody just disregarding the OP.

CallMeTheDream, D-rock and rm365 like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I choose the Tru Warrier. Or whatever he calls himself these days.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

tru warier.

the last r is silent. he has a strong french influence.

ferrari77 and D-rock like this.
  6. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

In their prime its AK47. His prime wasnt that long and his team didnt win big or anything but he was the better player. Draymond is the better player for his team, but honestly if Draymond wasnt on a top 5 team in the league, he wouldnt get nearly the publicity or hype he gets now.

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I have so much disdain for both these players. I guess I'd take Green with this team, though. AK47 in his prime would be a slight upgrade from Ariza, but we've got him right now, so I go with Green. Esp since we lost Pat and need that enforcer.

8. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

AK was the best (or at least most uniquely versatile) defensive disruptor of his generation, but he had neither Green's playmaking chops on offense or his ability to guard five positions. It's not that close IMO.

9. HtownTrill

HtownTrill Member

I'd say Draymond due to his play making ability.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its kinda like the Kobe vs T-mac comparison. AK-47 was more physically talented, more length and bounce. Had very high but short peak. Got injury prone. But while he was great nickname "AK-47", he did NOT have killer mentality matching that name. He wasnt called KRYilenko for nothing. Matt Harpring turned into Jazz "Draymond" more than AK-47 was

Draymond the "Kobe" type to AK-47's T-Mac. Draymond is more alpha leader much more tougher. Better passer facilitator on offense. Polished his skills maximizing physical ability through hard work. Better team player. The argument is if Draymond is in better "system". But AK-47 was stat padding on bad teams. Tough giving Draymond credit, but all things even he's just way more dependable.

#30 Shroopy2, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  11. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Draymond is so overrated lmao

AK was far more talented

12. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Kirilenko is one of my least favorite players of all time

13. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Still gots it...if he wants it

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Did Ak47 ever avg more than 5 assist a game?
    Draymond actually facilities while being a legit 3 pt shooter.