1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For All You Non-Believers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Jul 28, 2017.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Please forgive this young man for calling the Junkyard Dog, my man Mario Elie, a "midseason pickup". Also, he called Horry "Whorry" and calls our fearless leader Rudy, Tomyanovich. In spite of this, he makes an effort that's still very worthy. Please ignore these slight imperfections in the video because he redeems himself.

Redemption: MDJ says, "You could make an argument that this was the Greatest Championship run in history". He doesn't mention the word "basketball" so he's literally calling it the best ever(don't correct me if I'm wrong, what would be your stupid point of doing that).

All hail the great champions ever! All hail the greatest winning playoff series performance of all time (Hakeem destroying the MVP)!

2. Mattician

Mattician Member

Great video.

I was only 2-3 when the Rockets won back to back championships.
    Wish I could have been old enough to witness the only team to bring a championship to Houston.

#2 Mattician, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Jayzers_100 and don grahamleone like this.
  3. Mattician

Mattician Member

Whoops. Sorry for the double post.

Jontro and don grahamleone like this.
  4. don grahamleone

It was awesome, but don't feel too distant about it. Every one of us that witnessed the championships and still loves the team wishes we could relive it all over again just like you would love to live it once. That glorious feeling fades a little everyday even if the memory is there. I'm sure you had a piece of that feeling like we all did a few years ago when we came back against the Clippers. It's a lot like that same feeling of your happiness cup filling up, but when you win a chip, it starts spilling out all over the place. It creates a happy mess you'll never finish cleaning up. I know a lot of brocephuses and sister acts around here know what I mean.

Edit: Come to think of it, young blood, someone around here is bound to have every game of that championship year on tape. That would be fun to go through those with a fan that didn't live it. Maybe like some live chatroom sort of thing or a mystery science 3000 style deal. I actually think I'm onto something here. This could be a spinoff idea for a bigger company to have fans commenting on playoff runs from the old days. Anyway, @JBIIRockets used to have all the games on tape from those days. I'm curious if he still has them.

#4 don grahamleone, Jul 28, 2017
    ZJP3, topfive, No Chance and 3 others like this.
  5. don grahamleone

This is game 5 against the Jazz, first round. The first round series back in those days was a best of 5 so this was a do or die game for both teams. Unfortunately the audio is in some ancient Germanic language.

#5 don grahamleone, Jul 28, 2017
    No Chance, Plowman and MadMax like this.
  6. don grahamleone

Game 7 against the Phoenix Suns. We were down 3-1 in the series and had to win 3 in a row. This is that 3rd in a row for us:

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

thought it was gonna be about keeping the faith in potato

Invisible Fan and Sephkane like this.
  8. don grahamleone

Game 6 against the Spurs. Rockets won game 1 and 2 on the road, then the Spurs adjusted and won game 3 and 4 in Houston. Houston (aka 'We') won game 5 in San Antonio so we were up 3-2 in a best of 7 western conference finals series. David Robinson was the MVP of the league, but unfortunately the MVP is not always given to the best player (ask Westbrook).

D-rock and Plowman like this.
  9. don grahamleone

It's time to pass the torch to the young bloods, my friend! Also, if "For All you Non-Believers" doesn't make you want to finish my sentence, then you need a refresher. "Don't EVER underestimate the heart of a champion."

#9 don grahamleone, Jul 28, 2017
    D-rock, topfive and pippendagimp like this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

so melo coming on tuesday at 5:45?

11. don grahamleone

Class starts at 6am. Watch all the games and report your findings by no later than 6pm on Sunday evening.

D-rock likes this.
  12. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Down by 7 with 5 minutes to go...didn't think it was gonna happen. Clyde wasn't having it.

No Chance and don grahamleone like this.
  13. don grahamleone

If any of ya'll want to know what he's talking about, start that game 5 video vs the Jazz at about 1hour 8minutes and watch the rest.

bleedroxred79 likes this.
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Thank you Don. I needed that this morning. What an amazing time that was. I was super young and new to Houston. My first year there they won the championship, and i was hooked for life. But it was that 2nd championship year that was nothing short of magical. Every game was pure amazement. And man, how i loved both of those championship teams; they were both so different, but God damn how good was Dream!

forgot about the 31 point comeback game by Clyde. Almost makes up for his lack of common sense in real life.

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

y professor tinman not in yet?

16. don grahamleone

Don't thank me, thank the basketball gods that delivered a miracle season. I'm just rehashing old memories.
    @Aruba77 Obviously nothing personal here, just a clarification for those that weren't there if his message was a tad confusing. Clyde scored 31 in the game and we were down by 7 with about 5 minutes to play when Clyde took that game over.

Honorable mention: When was the last time you saw a person wear sunglasses on an NBA court? I'm looking at you Antoine Carr.

#16 don grahamleone, Jul 28, 2017
  17. don grahamleone

@tinman is no longer a professor at Rockets University, he's Dean tinman to you now. I report directly to him and any such complaints about the Rockets history department promotions and allocations should be directed to chairmen @Will @Jeff @Rockets2K or @Clutch.

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Harden is our w**** y

19. Sephkane

Sephkane Member

And we swept the team that beat Jordan, who hadn't been back in the NBA long but still averaged 27ppg and 39mpg and took the Magic to 6 games in round two.

The greatest championship run in history.

MadMax likes this.
  20. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

The 08-09 team that beat Portland and almost beat the Lakers(eventual Champs) was a close comparison too. Bunch of "dudes" just doing work and winning games. McGrady missed the playoffs with an injury. Yao and 4 role players beat Portland. Then Yao got hurt. Dike and Chuck Wagon (6'6") took over at center and held up well against the Lakers. Took them to 6 games.

That was a fun team to watch/cheer for.

DFWRocket and don grahamleone like this.