1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on what he's asking. They don't want to give out too many guaranteed years to a guy that is very close to the end.....and as a player very close to the end, Brown wants as much as he can get.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We don't even have the replacement to his backup. No one else in the OL is really good, maybe Mancz

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

From what we have been told, the dispute is about guaranteed money. The organization doesn't want to pay a player after he gets injured. Players don't want to get injured and then cut with no money to show. As it is, they're going to pay him IF he is healthy and plays. They're just unwilling to if he isn't able to play.

There's also the precedence. If this holdout works, why wouldn't Cushing or JJo or Lamar hold out when their time comes? I'm on Duane's side. I get it. I just wish they had ironed this out before it came to this.

4. Mashing

Mashing Member

I figure that is the case (the guaranteed money) but the fact of the matter is that Brown has all the leverage. Cushing, JJo, and Lamar can be replaced fairly easily so they don't have the leverage Brown currently has. They're not going to go in game 1 without paying him and it's in everyone's best interest to get him in camp. I would normally not want to set a precedence (as you said, showing other players all they have to do is holdout), but Brown doesn't have a back up on the roster worth a damn. If Rick is hesitant to pay him, then it's his own damn fault for not finding someone who could play in his place. He **** in his bed, now he has to sleep in it. I'm on Brown's side here if case you didn't notice.

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

I have read Duane Brown's wife now lives and works in LA now.
    So his goal here is to get cut so he can sign with one of those teams (Rams/Chargers)

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That makes sense... but if his goal is to loose millions in the process he's also doing a damn good job of that!

7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

If I'm Smith the most I would do is give a verbal commitment that next year is guaranteed. It's hard to operate a franchise and plan ahead if you don't have stability with the current contracts. They still have to sign Hopkins, Clowney and overpay in free agency next off season to fill holes. With no 1st or 2nd round picks to serve as cheap labor they have to smart with cap space.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Duane's leverage grew because of injuries and the high price of offensive linemen this offseason. I think this situation fell into his lap. It could happen to Cushing if McKinney has a major injury and Cunningham has a bad rookie season. Same with JJo if he has a probowl year and Kevin Johnson gets injured again. It's possible.

For the Texans, there is a bright side. Lamm and Davenport get 1st team reps in camp and they get to see how ready they are. Brown loses all his leverage if they find his replacement in camp.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

In two years, there will be a big argument over whose city it is - Deshaun Watson's or JJ Watt's.

Can't wait.

red5rocket likes this.
  10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Sure hope so.

11. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

That is one hell of a bold statement. Not only does that mean Waston was not a wasted pick but Watt's back surgery was nothing to worry about.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  12. Nimo

Nimo Member

13. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

I like turtles

14. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Johnny Mac has lost some weight.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

???? So who did they claim? Thats probably the worst tweet in the history of twitter.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL
    Texans claimed Devin Street off waivers from New York.
    New York waived Street after claiming Lucky Whitehead off waivers from Dallas.

red5rocket, donkeypunch and zeeshan2 like this.
  18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Cowboys kicked Whitehead to the streets. Jets got Lucky and got off the Street. Texans got sweet and picked Devin off the Street

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Isn't Duane just asking for more guaranteed money? Not more money.

I don't think guaranteeing more money equals the Texans caving in or sets a new precedence.

20. fattz

fattz Member

It's pro sports, holdouts happen. Brown will not be cut, why shouldn't he try to protect his interests as he ages. He has nothing but a better future to gain from this and training camp is not really going to make him a better player. I am hoping the reps being had by others helps the team at a later date. Maybe Brown's actions will show the need to upgrade the offensive line and we will be watching the waver wire while hoping some of the younger players start to show their worthiness. When, not if, Brown plays this season we should be a better team. His hold out is like a controlled burn that helps all involved. Give time, time.

Mr. Clutch likes this.