1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[STARZ] Black Sails

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

So I guess this is back now. They've aired like half of season 4. I definitely want to watch it, but may just wait until it concludes so I can marathon it all at once. I actually find myself losing a few of the threads of plot when I space out my viewing of this show.

Still, I'm interested to hear if anyone's been watching and whether it's good?

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I was pretty negative on it and got back into it after along hiatus from it.

I love it now.

The last two episodes were pretty much gut shots to watch. It's become very intense.

3. Drexlerfan22

Curious, if you didn't like it at first and now love it, what do you think was the "turning point" for you?

I do definitely like the show overall. I thought it was just okay at first, then liked it more as things developed into season 2 (IIRC). It's all a little murky, but I think I found it was developing just a little more slowly than I was hoping for, and seemed a little aimless for awhile.

Also, not enough Blackbeard and
    the death of Vane
    both disappointed me a bit in season 3. I get that the latter adds valuable drama / emotional depth, but doing that to such an electrifying character is a trade-off.

4. justtxyank

First let me say there has been some valleys for sure. They've meandered into nonsense a couple of times.

However, the show wore me out at first with all of the p*rn going on. It was teenage boy fantasy land with lesbian scenes occurring while the main character was talking, etc. It was hard to take the show seriously. They really toned that down and in my opinion the show is better for it.

This was another issue. It was aimless and has been unnecessarily convoluted. Honestly the stuff with his woman was just a lot of nonsense. They dragged that down some twisty highways that wore me out as well. I think last season is when things really started to heat up.

Agreed that there has NOT been enough Blackbeard. I much prefer him to Jack for example. On the spoiler you mentioned, I knew it had to happen as it was a historical event. They've butchered some of the timeline and places, but at least the people who are supposed to die, well, die.

The last episode with Blackbeard was painful. Yikes.

5. Drexlerfan22

Oh god, yeah. Jack & his constantly scowling lady-friend mostly bore me to tears, with a few rare exceptions late last season. Couldn't care less about that new head of the brothel, either. But every second Flint or Blackbeard or Vane, or perhaps to a lesser extent Silver, are on the screen I'm entranced.

Reminds me a little bit of my brief stint watching Smallville. It took me a little while to realize that my level of enjoyment of that show was directly proportional to how much Lex there was in a given episode, because really, he was the only interesting character and one of the very few good actors. Black Sails is waaay higher quality than Smallville overall, but like you said, it has its "valleys."

justtxyank likes this.
  6. justtxyank

Yes. I don't like the head of the brothel (can't recall her name right now) and I don't buy that she could have so much power now.

I think the strong points of the show are clearly Silver and Flint and the people surrounding them. I also think the Governor and Guthrie are really good. I've thought she was the best female character from the beginning.

Jack is just dumb. His narrative of gaining respect and his speeches bore me like you said. I don't care about Anne's emo badass character and it annoys me when shows fall into lame narratives like her being cured by becoming a lesbian lol. That said, the last episode with her and Jack was the best ha!

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This show ended on a disappointing note. I can't believe they killed of Teach and Vain to only end the show in this manner.

The writers shipwrecked this show with love stories driving the plot. The prelude to Treasure Island was the best part. They had Billy Bones stranded on Skeleton Island when it should have been Ben Gunn. Robert Lewis Stevenson would be very disappointed to see his story perverted with this nonsense.

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

So that's it? Is there a follow-up series called Treasure Island with the same actors?

9. joesr

joesr Member

Who the hell was that, that Flint was kissing at the end

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

His long time lover he lost ages ago. Everyone hints at it, but they never say the person's name that I remember. Only hint at it throughout.

joesr likes this.
  11. joesr

joesr Member

Thank you thank you

12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Hint at it? He was a major character in Season 2.

Caesar likes this.
  13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He was? I must have missed that. Like you see him and everything?

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Yes. Major spoilers follow:

In Season 2, there were extended, season-long flashbacks to the Royal Navy officer who would become Capt. Flint back when he first arrived in Nassau. Remember how Flint had a woman in Season 1? I think her name was Miranda. Well, she was married to a British aristocrat named Thomas who wanted to eliminate piracy and turn the Bahamas into a British colony. He brought in Flint (not his name at the time) to help. The two became friends, and then, with Miranda's consent, lovers. He was the love of Flint's life. But Thomas had enemies in the British establishment who "disappeared" him. For revenge, Flint became a pirate and declared war on Britain. At the end of the series, it turns out that Thomas wasn't murdered as Flint assumed. He was sent to a secret prison farm in some far-away colony. Silver discovers this fact and has Flint sent there, too, getting rid of Flint and reuniting him with his long-lost lover.

That's basically Flint's entire arc. Sorry you missed it, lol!