1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by juicystream, Jun 20, 2017.

?

What is your starting 5?

1. Keuchel/LMJ/Morton/Peacock/Fiers

22.4%
  2. Keuchel/LMJ/Morton/McHugh/Peacock

26.3%
  3. Keuchel/LMJ/Morton/McHugh/Fiers

26.3%
  4. Keuchel/LMJ/McHugh/Fiers/Peacock

11.8%
  5. Other

13.2%
  1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I don't disagree with what you are saying, except

1) I would like to see Peacock continue to start and see if he can get "stretched out" a little more

2) Fiers maybe hasn't been a good reliever in the past, but if he is truly "different" all of the sudden, maybe he would also be different in the pen

Like I said I have no legit reasons why, just the eyeball test I guess and I sure do like Peacock in the rotation (never thought I would be saying that before this season started)

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Fiers recent peripherals suggest a guy who could maintain an ERA in the mid/high -3's, which is great for a starter going 6 or 7 innings regularly. But it's very meh for a relief pitcher.

Peacock on the other hand is wiping people out for 4 innings. We'll see if he can start to regularly go 6, but if the 2 are similar in value as a starter, Peacock projects much better as a relief pitcher.

3. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Bump.

With McHugh coming back on Friday and Keuchel returning soon I wanted to revisit this thread. Given the way Fiers has pitched since his demotion I don't see how he can be taken out of the rotation.

It has to be:

Keuchel
    LMJ
    Morton
    McHugh
    Fiers

Thoughts?

Yaosthirdleg and Silver Fox like this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would bet top dollar that LMJ is gonna take a seat on the DL for a few starts here soon. The Astros are still gonna want to limit his innings to keep him fresh for October. I imagine Peacock is gonna stay in the rotation for another month or so, and of course we still may add Sonny Gray or another pitcher at the deadline.

That gives us some time to read the tea leaves on how everybody is pitching. Who we want to keep in the rotation, and who moves to the pen.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

And I don't feel as great about Fiers as I did a few weeks ago.

He's still getting good results, but he's regressed back to being a fly ball pitcher, and fly balls tend to be dangerous. We'll see if he can keep pitching well.

On the positive side, he has struck out 60 batters in his last 54 innings, so that may be able to offset the fly balls as long as he doesn't start giving up those crazy HR numbers he did earlier in the season.

6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

With the exception of his 100 pitch 4 inning outing, Fiers profiles better as a pitcher is a bit more efficient in the pitch counts. Peacock's value is allowing him to go all-out in short bursts.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

DudeWah and HTM like this.
  8. supa

supa Contributing Member

Not sure it makes sense to pull Peacock out of the rotation right now.

texans1095 and arif1127 like this.
  9. Major

Major Member

Same could be said of Fiers. Astros are going to have an interesting decision to make when Keuchel comes back.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No way Peacock comes out of the rotation right now, he's finally going deep into games, which has been the only thing holding him back.

McHugh, Fiers, Musgrove and Peacock are all gonna pitch to see who gets the spot. Go to 6 man if you have to.

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I'd roll with Peacock as my last guy and move Fiers into the long reliever role.

Musgrove can go down to the minors.

13. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

I'd roll with a 6 man rotation of Keuchel, LMJ, Morton, McHugh, Fiers, Peacock. Keeps everyone fresh and doesn't punish those who are pitching well or working their way back from injury. I'll probably concur with the other poster that we could be seeing LMJ to DL for a little bit with "arm soreness" to limit his innings and have the other guys round out the 5 man rotation. Nonetheless, good problem to have.

Or have Morton operate in long relief. I just can't justify us taking Fiers or Peacock out of the rotation when they've pitched so well lately.

14. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Astros aren't in a rush for Keuchel to return

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don't think there's anyway Fiers is coming out of the rotation right now. Peacock deserves to stay in as well but also has been successful in the pen where he may be more valuable when Keuchel returns. Morton is arguably the best candidate for the pen and he has the stuff to be potentially dominant there. Tough call.

Yaosthirdleg and vince like this.
  16. vince

vince Member

Fires and Peacock have earned more starts. We still need to see what McHuges brings to the table after being out so long. But there is a lot of talent on the Astros pitching front.

Keutchel
    McCullers
    Morton
    Fiers
    Peacock
    McHugs

Those are 6 intriguing guys. Getting another arm would be great, but at what cost. And if they get another arm, I guess Peacock would head to the bullpen. Fiers too, I guess. But those guys have carried the rotation with all the injuries.

As it stands now I'd be happy with a current healthy pitching rotation (we are almost there) and a little depth, which we have. Now let's get these guys ready for the post season.

BigM likes this.
  17. htownbball

htownbball Member

Fully healthy:

DK
    LMJ
    Morton
    Fiers
    McHugh

Send Peacock to the pen where he's shown he can be extremely effective, send Musgrove to the minors and call up Diaz

18. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

May I respectfully ask why McHugh gets an automatic spot in the rotation? He was amazing when he first emerged as an Astro, but he's been a lot of "meh" the last few seasons, and is coming off a major injury.

I am not saying he cannot return and be great again for us, I just think he needs to prove it first, before we automatically slide him into the rotation.

I just don't see why McHugh gets seemingly automatically moved up the list between he/Morton/Peacock/Fiers. And this isn't necessarily a knock on him, but more commentary on how well Morton/Peacock/Fiers have been. This is a good problem to have I suppose.

19. dwood21

dwood21 Member

If it was up to me I'd move Morton to the pen once Keuchel and McHugh come back healthy. I think his stuff would play very well out of the pen with his hard 2 seam fastball inducing grounders in key situations. I agree Peacock has earned his spot in the rotation. You don't take a guy out of the rotation when he is pitching like this. I would send Fiers to the pen before Peacock at this point. The rotation would then go as follows:

1) Keuchel
    2) McCullers
    3) McHugh
    4) Peacock
    5) Fiers

texans1095 and Silver Fox like this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Is Peacock the favorite as third starter in playoffs if Astros don't make a trade for one? Since 5/22 (when Peacock became a starter), he's 26th in xFIP, 5th in FIP, and 13th in ERA among starters. Though, he is 78th in innings.