1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston's market size

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joesr, Jul 18, 2017.

?

Be honest......our market size is?

Poll closed Jul 25, 2017.
  1. Large

99 vote(s)
    78.0%
  2. Medium

28 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. joesr

joesr Member

Hmm wasnt Kobes jersey the highest selling in China? Few years back at least.

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. joesr

joesr Member

Kazakhstan. Seen a lot of preeeeetty women from there lol

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

lelz.....either landscape, food, customs or women.

joesr likes this.
  4. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

The Rockets is actually not that big in Hong Kong. But in the Mainland they have a huge basketball forum called "hupu" which I frequently visit and the traffic of their rockets board is like 10 times bigger than clutchfans. Lakers is the 2nd most popular team but still far behind. Warriors and Heat are not even close.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I wish they could come over and the Arena would be full all the time and nobody would leave their seats, not even during defeats.

6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I guess he's more famous among casual fans. But the Rockets definitely has a huge die hard fan base in China.

joesr likes this.
  7. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Yea they always wonder why the arena is empty the whole time lol.

joesr and daywalker02 like this.
  8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

houston is a large market, but it's a bit like saying a multimillionaire is wealthy, when sure there are billionaires out there.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Multi Billionaires is the term to go these days.

joesr likes this.
  10. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't really understand the question. Are you asking about the actual size of the market, or how popular the city and team is to free agents?

I mean look at San Antonio. I View San Antonio as a fairly small market in physical size. But, because of the success the Spurs have had, I think free agents and fans around the league view the Spurs has a major player.

I guess I would view Houston in the top ten in physical size and attractiveness to free agents.

joesr likes this.
  11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Not Churros San Antonio large but pretty large esp when you step out of midtown or the inner loop.....

joesr likes this.
  12. joesr

joesr Member

i said top tier tho. Not worried about role players, especially those signing for one year.
    The latter. Our popularity amongst FA's. The wanting to be here. I do not think anyone wpuld debate the cities actual success and popjlation hehehe

13. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Naekee?

Smell?

joesr likes this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Large market but not a sexy American city.

We don't have the beaches, the entertainment industry, the night life, etc.

joesr likes this.
  15. rockets13champs

You have to literally be dumb to think Houston is a medium. I live in New York, yes New York biggest market in the US. And Houston is a respected city. We acknowledge that Houston is a major market due to the huge energy capital Houston is. We call Houston the energy capital of the world. Don't call this city small market. Houston is a big market with a lot of things to do. Also the city with a lot of people working 9-5 or 11-7 jobs. So yeah Toyota center may be empty to start games but that doesn't mean it's a small market.
    I'd admit Houston needs to build some sort of metro train system like New York, LA or Chicago has where people can take the train downtown in 30-40 mins instead of sitting in deadbeat traffic. Because once you build the metro system downtown would be much more lively

Just to add NBA players refer to Houston to an amazing night life city because it is home to the best strip clubs and some of the country's best food and people.

#35 rockets13champs, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    majicdonjuan likes this.
  16. Fantasma Negro

Houston is L.A. before L.A. knew it was L.A.

joesr likes this.
  17. papoose115

papoose115 Member

we might not be LA or NY size large but we are still a large market. right now 4th largest city in the nation and soon to be 3rd. chicago is losing population and we are gaining at an exponential rate. but still... houston is no where close to LA and LA is definitely no where close to NY

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

But, compare Houston to the average NBA city and I think Houston stacks up pretty well. Houston is not L. A. or Miami, but it isn't some remote Outpost like OKC.

19. bigred77

bigred77 Member

This is the answer.

Houston is no doubt a large market. Houston is not a top tier destination city to live if your super rich (unless you have local ties: family, business interests, etc.)

joesr likes this.
  20. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Besides having the best team in the universe, we also have the best restaurants (in diversity) in US. Where can you go Tex-Mex, or papusa, where can you get dim sum, or banh mi. How about kim chi, or some sushi. How about some BBQ, I think Vince Wilfork has been to every1 of them. Beat that San Antonio, or Dallas!!!