1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Tarik Black

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 14, 2017.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Please list better options.

Brown Lost It likes this.
  2. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

He boards well. We needed a back up center especially with nene only being able to play in half of back to backs.

Onuaku taking longer to develop, does not look ready.

Remlap and saleem like this.
  3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I guess they're pretty confident they'll be competitive on the buy out market later in the season with just minimums.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Oh wow. He ain't worth that.

5. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

He is a better FT shooter and rebounder than Nene

djperm, TheFreak and yixiixiy like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not horrible but I like it a little less.

Well who else were you gonna get?!

Not necessarily anyone right now. As Daryl said, take into the season & wait for potential February buyouts.

But meh, whatever I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He made over $6 mil last year

He averaged 6/5 in 15 minutes playing good defense . Per 36 he's a double double guy (12/11 w/ 1.5 blocks and a steal). I'm surprised he wasn't offered a long-term deal; 3 yrs - $15 mil (total, not per). He's improved every year; he's 25.

We need front court defensive depth; i'm okay with $3.2 for that kind of production.

I'd love to hear more about Black from folks in the know ...i haven't followed him closely since he left Houston.

#147 Aruba77, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Yaosthirdleg, Deckard, djperm and 4 others like this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

What's the BAE? 3 mil a yr?

9. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I blame Nanu's uninspired play for this move. If he actually played well or even engaged, I think we would have settled with him as the 3rd center. But he was so "ehh" in SL that I understand why Morey felt the need to get another center.

I like the signing but I really wanted to have that BAE for after the deadline. Having the BAE would give us at least one advantage over the Warriors and Cavs for signing buy-outs.

Oh well, maybe Morey is banking on having Harden/Paul(/Melo) as enough of an incentive for buy-outs to come here.

RocketsTerps, vator and saleem like this.
  10. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

This is a solid signing and I'm happy for it but I'd still rather hold on to the BAE for buyout season.

11. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I agree that he is a good depth acquisition it's just that Tarik Black and players of his caliber are always going to be available for the BAE.

I was expecting Morey to hold out to have a competitive offer once players get bought out.

12. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Hmm. not bad, I think Black is worth that much and more. However, I'm not sure he's worth that much and more on a team with Clint Capela and Nene.

In light of the fact that they'll probably give Nene 15 games off this year though, it's workable and there were very few guys in the league who were this good of players and also willing to play a third-stringer role at times. Good value signing, though limits options for midseason pickups.

Why not? likes this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Competition with other teams must have prompted the move. He is an OK backup.

14. rockets018

rockets018 Member

@BimaThug

When/can this be used as salary matching?

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

3.2 M/Yr

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

I would've like a minimum deal more too, but in the end i don't think the difference between BAE and the minimum will make any difference in a potential signing later in the season...a player will eventually pick us because we should be a good team in a good market, not because of one million more. Just look at Bogut, he went to the Cavs because they gave him a better chance to win even if Rockets and Celtics were willing to pay him more.

17. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

18. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Great signing. Trez replacement. That's a lot of PT during the regular season. The best part? Nene is a crap shoot to stay healthy all season long. If he does go down like last year, we've got a vet to take up those minutes instead of an inexperienced talent in-progress. More stability at the 3rd center position. Known commodity from previous stint. Helps a huge weakness we have: rebounding.

Yaosthirdleg and Remlap like this.
  19. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I think a lot of you are forgetting Nene is getting older and he did get injured in the playoffs. We dont know how he will return from that

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  20. Asian Sensation

I wanted Mo Speights to be Bae.

RasaqBoi likes this.