1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Knicks pause Melo trade talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Jul 13, 2017.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Guys, this is all a ploy. Morey prides himself on surprising us (Howard, CP3) but we all found out about it too soon. He made it a stipulation of the trade that Knicks had to leak that they were pausing trade talks so today at the end of the presser he can drop this bomb on us and resume his place at da gawd GM. Sneaky Morey trix are for TEAM USA.

Plowman likes this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The whole thing is so ham-handed. They go hire this new GM (Scott Perry?). Either Perry says, "Let me talk to Carmelo first," or Dolan says, "Well, maybe Scott can reach Carmelo in a way that Phil couldn't."

I can't imagine the Knicks are in the "cheaper to keep her" phase.

"Hey, Melo. How's it goin', buddy?"

(sycophant radar starts to whir and turn) "Yeah, how you doing?"

"Just wanted to let you know how much I and the organization appreciate you----"

"By openly putting me on the trade market?"

"Well, you know, that wasn't me specifically. Phil's gone now----"

"Look, I ain't got no beef with you. But I'm not gonna opt out and make it easier for you to buy me out. And I know where I want to play. I already got my house in Sugar Land lined up. Houston. Just make it happen and let's part ways with a handshake. Or I'll play my last two years here close to my kid. That's it."

Plowman and RyanB like this.
  3. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

Hes very excited to join Houston (Hes mind is set on the Rockets) Harden and CP3 has sold him.
    it will be very hard to convince him to stay.. isn't hes agent in Houston today (I know nothing to do with his situation, but
    shouild be a good time for Morey to have a serious talk with him

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ian Begley:

(on Scott Perry) I'd eventually think this gets worked out for cash. I'd be surprised if the Kings dug their heels in & demanded a pick.

Let's operate under assumption New York isn't bargaining for a better deal from Houston & New York really wants him back. It's gonna be a tough conversation. Carmelo was dead set on going to Houston & was excited about going to Houston as recent as earlier this week. That'd be a big 180 to make & a tough sell for the front office. Carmelo has changed his mind in the past. Last month, he was going back & forth on staying or leaving. He could change his mind but don't think it's likely at this point.

Talking to people last night & this morning, everyone would be surprised if he changed his mind at this point & decided to stay.

Bizarre to me, you were looking to trade him & now where do you go? You want him back in the fold? Strange change of course here.

It's possible they're putting negotiations on hold for hopes of a better offer. They hope Houston gets desperate & increases their offer.

DonKnock, samtaylor, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  5. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

The only way they change his mind is if Lala changes hers. Hopefully that's not their secret weapon

Edit: Also, how long does it take to ask him to change his mind? Hurry up already!

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

^^^^

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that this is a just a last-ditch effort from the Knicks. As long as Carmelo doesn't change his mind, and with Harden and Paul likely recruiting him, I'd be surprised if he does, then I don't think anything has drastically changed. Morey won't get desperate because the Knicks have zero leverage.

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Are these the eyes of a "desperate" man to you?

[​IMG]

Perry got rid of Demarcus with only one first round pick coming there way. He will not be stupid enough to think Melo will net them more than a bit of cap relief, Perhaps one or two youngs to develop.

I'm thinking them placing this trade on "hold" is more to get Perry in the fold and get his discretion on the ultimate deal.

DonKnock, samtaylor and J Sizzle like this.
  8. Bowlrips

Bowlrips Member

Just curious.. Would you be opposed to moving Eric Gordon in the deal if it means we got back Courtney Lee?
    Gordon has a little more value than Lee and could be extracted for additional assets to close the gap.

9. Bowlrips

Bowlrips Member

Hes only been working with the Kings since April..

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

eric gordon is way better than courtney lee. i wouldn't say a little more

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

I thought Melo and Honey Nut Cheerios split a while back.

13. mockster

mockster Member

I saw the word imminent earlier today on something non related to the Rockets and I was pretty triggered

14. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Fraudriguez

DonKnock, jnuge90 and Vivi like this.
  15. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

Man Gordon is on one of the best contracts in the league. 13mm a year for a guy that would score 20+ if he started on another team. We gettin a discount cause of injury history but if hes healthy like last year its a poor mans steph curry contract

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

So Mills/Dolan were just waiting on hiring a GM who did not want to trade Melo?

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That's like saying the Pacers were holding Paul George hostage. The Knicks are basically one statement away from being them but in a much much worse position of bargaining.

The ultimate question for both teams is whether they wanted something in return, not what they wanted in return.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Who responds, Melo or his agent?

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

My bad, I thought he was in the fold during the Cousins deal... everything else remains the same. He saw what Cousins netted the Kings and helped draft their current litter of young prospects. I'm sure he knows what Melo's "true worth" is on the open market atm.

20. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

They did. There are rumors he wants to get back with her, and Lala's openly addressed the rumors to an extent. They are still civil, which is why I could see them getting back together. And if that happens, New York has reason to believe they can convince him to stay. That's all the time we have. Thanks for tuning into The ClutchView!

heypartner and thedreamsteam like this.