1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Die Hard Rockets fan Venting my Frustration/Love, one F5 at a time [No Fake News]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by viertelasiat, Jul 14, 2017.

1. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

I thought, I would start a thread to distract myself and hopefully others from all of the melo-drama, seeing as though I am driving myself crazy refreshing every Clutchfans thread, one F5 at a time, to see if whether or not there is any update burried in an ongoing thread which many already know there hasn't been... So I figured I would start a thread to talk about myself and why I am a Rockets fan, so that if anyone else wants to get away from the drama as well can calm the F down and share their mutual love for all that is the Houston Rockets.

I myself have been a Rockets fan ever since the days of Stevie Franchise and Yao Ming. I have never lived in Houston, but rather I have lived in Los Angeles my whole life, nonetheless I have gotten in several arguments and a couple of bar fights with die hard Lakers fans over my love for the Rockets and I must say... damn them Laker fans are crazy!!! Many of you are Houston natives and much longer standing fans than myself dating back to the days of Hakeem and Clyde the Glide or even further back... to which all I can say is Mazeltov (I am not Jewish but love the phrase and find it very useful)! I will say I have watched a lot of footage of Hakeem and I have come to appreciate his footwork, defense and ultimately his greatness (it seems like Basketball was more of a pure skill game in those days).

I have been somewhat of a lurker on CF for the past decade, posting when I saw fit or when I felt so strongly about something that I felt it necessary to voice my opinion, unsubstantiated or not. I have never once started a thread of my own, since I am no insider but I do have many great memories of Rockets games such as McGrady's 13 in 30, Josh Smith and Dwight's air attack on the Mavs and even more recently the decimating of the league MVPm Russell Westbrook (who FYI I went to UCLA with at the same time, even saw him on campus, but first and foremost I am a Rockets fan).

I have always felt that the Rockets have been on the cusp of winning contending and that the Rockets Brass has always pursued and delivered for its fans. They went out and acquired big stars in McGrady, KMart, Harden, Dwight, CP3 and possibly Melo (please don't continue this thread as a Melo discussion, there are 20+ other threads for that already). Rockets management has also done a great job in recruiting talent whether it panned out or not... Bobby Sura, Shane Battier, Rafer "Skip 2 My Lou" Alston, Bonzi Wells, Mt. Mutombo, Josh Smith, Carl Landry, Luis Scola, Chandler Parsons (before he became a Diva), Chase Budinger, Pablo Prigioni, Aaron Brooks, Marcus Camby (albeit in later part of his career) and on and on.... To me the Rockets have always moved in the right direction and been great at trying to improvie, appease the fanbase, and win more rings.

Anyways, I don't seek approval from anyone here as I love being a fan regardless of what anyone else things, but at the same time I wanted to share my appreciation and love for what I believe to be one of the greatest franchises in all of basketball, or all of sports for that matter, and welcome an open positive discussion to our great fanbase. Win or lose I will always be a fan (obviously not a bandwagon fan)..... In Morey and Les I Trust (possibly "we" depending on your opinion)!

Apologies for the long thread... Go Rockets! Bleed Red and F* the Mavs, Spurs, Lakers and Golden State! I hope I am not roasted and that everyone will free to respond with their own memorable moments, personal fan history, positive discussions, etc. etc...

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I wasn't fully prepared for the amount of text when I clicked this thread.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Jesus, me neither.

Tldr version?

hakeem94, Zboy and Tfor3 like this.
  4. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Better than the Melo threads.

5. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

also **** the Jazz

thedreamsteam likes this.
  6. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

Yeah sorry... I carried away in my venting and needless ranting... No need to read it all, unless you want to, just thought I would post something other than the 502nd Carmelo Anthony thread.

thedreamsteam and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

From what I skimmed: it's a brief history of the rockets and a tome of fan appreciation.

It's a positive thread.

TracywtFacy, Zboy and Pen15clubber like this.
  8. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Ya that ****ed me up

9. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

You forgot one of the greatest rockets moments when Yao returned from an injury in the 4th quarter against the Lakers in the playoffs to beat them, if Yao didn't get injured or artest didn't get suspended we could've definitely beat the Lakers and went to the finals, that was one of the greatest "what if" scenarios in rockets history.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  10. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

Yeah... A lot of what ifs... It has been tough as a fan. I always thought Yao was one of the most skilled shooters for a big fella and with TMac it could have been more than 1 championshiop without all those injuries.

Guys like Shaq just musceled his way in and I have always had more respect for the skill... No one ever employed the hack-a-Yao strategy!

ryano2009 likes this.
  11. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

We would have beat the Lakers for sure if Yao stayed healthy. That team was locked in defensively and shared the ball well on the offensive end. Yao's injuries always came at the absolute most heartbreaking times. I remember the season before he went down about half way through our 22 game streak, and even though we went on to make history without him, I knew we wouldn't recover. Damn shame. Yao worked so hard to become the dominant player he was, but his body just wasn't built for the grind.

It's funny how different we are now with Harden leading the team. James will never have the dedication of Yao, but because he has been able to stay healthy(knock on wood), he will have a much more successful career. Durability is Harden's most underrated attribute and it's a major reason why the organization has shown so much faith in him. Hopefully the addition of Paul takes some of the pressure off because I think we have pretty much seen how far he can take us when the offense is run exclusively through him.

ryano2009 likes this.
  12. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Alot of arguments could be made toward Harden's playoffs performance, the guy had an unbelievable year, IMO he was snubbed again from the MVP trophy, his payoffs performance this year was somehow descent till the last two games, it definitely left a major question marks toward his playoffs demeanor and attitude, he is definitely the type of player that you build your organization around but with today's era and superteams, having 1 superstar won't cut it anymore unless you are MJ or Kobe.

13. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

At first I was like....

[​IMG]

But then I went out for some fresh air and I was like...

[​IMG]

#14 Zboy, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What is there to be frustrated about? We got Paul.....acquiring Melo would be gravy but as I said.... a ballclub is to be run......

16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

One of these are very, very different from the others.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Kmart isn't a big time star in my books as well. He was pretty useful starter.

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

When you said I've been a Rockets fan since Franchise / Yao days.

[​IMG]

but you saved yourself! LA Guy who hates the Lakers.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

This story with the F5 function key was very REFRESHing. :cool:

hakeem94 likes this.