1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fit Lebron into Cap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #TheBeard, Jul 12, 2017.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Are we already hard capped for next year?

Is that what the question is about?

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

So another off season, before the year starts, cp3 type trade.

I assume that's feasible. But can you deal an expiring at that point like ariza? I don't think so

3. jae713

jae713 Member

Lets hope Warriors win another chip. That can motivate these guys to take paycuts to take them out.

Vivi likes this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No. He'd have to opt in like Paul did but you couldn't include ariza in the deal and the hard cap would still apply until the league year reset

So you couldn't match salaries and you wouldn't be able to afford the salary under the hard cap

BigMaloe likes this.
  5. finsraider

finsraider Member

No....we are not hard capped for next year unless we SnT for LeBron (which I do not believe would be possible without a significant paycut).

6. justtxyank

The hard cap would apply until the new league year

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Let's hope the rockets win the chip

jae713, ilovehtownbb and justtxyank like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

according to my calculations, CP3's cap hold next summer would be around 36.5 mil and Melo's would be whatever the max is for that upcoming season...that is along with Harden's 30 mil

so people can forget about signing Lebron and then using Bird Rights on CP3 and Melo

then u have Capela who will be a RFA and will be getting paid

we would basically be asking guys to take some HUGE paycuts and then fill out the majority of the roster with vet mins

justtxyank likes this.
  9. finsraider

finsraider Member

That's the big "if". Lebron would have to demand a trade at the deadline..."trade me now or I'm a Laker in the offseason". Ariza, Gordon and Tucker would actually be a pretty attractive return for Cleveland, especially if you get a 3rd team involved. Kyrie, Gordon, Tucker, Love and Thompson is still a top half playoff team in the east.

The only way this happens is if Cleveland underperforms in the first half of the season. Obviously this is unlikely, but there's a scenario where it could happen. Let's say Wade gets bought out ahead of time and signs with the Rockets. Houston would have CP3, Melo and Wade to recruit Lebron, not even counting Harden and Capela (who I think will take a big leap forward). LeBron could try to orchestrate a difficult transition to LAL or he could demand a trade to a more "sure thing" in Houston.

To some degree we will know ahead of time whether this is even possible based on the moves the Rockets make.

10. justtxyank

Yeah that scenario isn't even really worth thinking about honestly. Cleveland isn't going to trade lebron during the season man come on

Reeko likes this.
  11. micah1j

micah1j Member

What if Lebron opts in with condition of trade to Houston, like CP3, but with trade in 2018 year. We trade Gordon, Tucker and S&T Ariza ~ 10m would be about 31-32 m total enough to get Lebron. Would that hard cap Rockets in 2018? If not hard capped could go over tax to resign CP3, Melo & Capela. Lebron might need to threaten to go to LAL with their cap space for nothing to make Gilbert take the trade.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

that just shows how much of a fantasy this is...we got dudes talking about trading for Lebron at the trade deadline

13. justtxyank

Can't combine ariza in a sign and trade with other players But even if you could you'd have hard cap issue in this scenario

I promise you only scenario that's plausible is massive paycuts

14. micah1j

micah1j Member

What triggers the hard cap?

15. justtxyank

Sign and trade and or using full mle

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Of ourselves - ahead we are getting

Bids9 likes this.
  17. finsraider

finsraider Member

crazier things have happened. again...it would have to be under the right conditions. Cleveland underperforms. Houston plays well and positions its cap appropriately.

I don't think we would get a lot of forewarning on this. Nobody would want this out in the media. It somewhat benefits Lebron because he wouldn't have "voluntarily" left Cleveland again. It would be a trade, and he doesn't have to act like this was his decision (even if it was).

People are smart though. If Cleveland underperforms, there's going to be a lot of noise about him leaving for the Lakers. I bet a few weeks before the deadline, we start hearing things like "should Cleveland trade LeBron to get something back?". Then reporters will start to connect the Rockets to him because of CP3, Melo, maybe Wade if he's here, and of course Harden and Capela.

18. micah1j

micah1j Member

Is Ariza eligible for an extension this summer? If so what is the deadline for that? That could allow you to match salary and avoid hard cap issue in 2018.

joshuaao likes this.
  19. justtxyank

Let's indulge the fantasy for a minute.

The cavs would probably have to cut two players to absorb those contracts back from us. The picks you are offering are going to be garbage.

Would Cleveland really have any interest in this? They'd take a hit pr wise by trading lebron for players who aren't going to help them win a ring and crappy picks?

This of course also requires them to struggle.

I mean never say never but this scenario isn't worth hoping for honestly

20. theh

theh Member

Remember when we missed out on Gortat