1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Why do you want Melo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by samtaylor, Jul 11, 2017.

?

Why do you want Melo?

1. He is the key to a championship formula

18.0%
  2. He is better than Ryan Anderson

52.5%
  3. He gives us a better shot of getting LeBron next summer

16.5%
  4. I don't want Melo

12.9%
  1. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

I've watched him play his entire career, he plays hard, he's fights, he doesn't shy away from the moment but he has his obvious flaws in terms of decision making, mental lapses and he could obviously get in better shape in terms of conditioning wise and getting his legs back some. This is why a move to the 4 spot is so important right now.

I agree that maybe he doesn't know how to win but then again there's no formula for it ultimately it's about making shots and your opponent missing shots.

He doesn't "just score", it's definitely one of the bigger criticisms of his career. When teammates move he finds them, when he catches the ball he's always looking for a cutter or fader, he'll rebound aggressively if thats his role or he'll box out. Defensively its all about being locked in and knowing his rotations, Jeff Hornacek didn't coach defense, Derek Fisher did and he was night and day between those two.

I think this is the perfect situation for him ultimately, he just has to do his part.

ElDobleK likes this.
  2. Clown Baby

Clown Baby Member

IF Olympic Melo comes to fruition it comes down to one thing...

Harden will need to outplay Iggy at a similar level to Durant outplaying Ariza.

I love Harden, but if you're real you know KD is a Too 3 player in this league and Harden is like 5th. And KD just murdered the Finals whereas Hardens playoff career has been dissapointing.

But... if Melo becomes the killer catch&shoot player we know he can be with CP3/Harden, it comes down too Harden. If Harden is simply on the same tier as Durant in a playoff series and everyone else is healthy/playing well, the Rockets have a legitimate chance.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Because why not? No one besides the Warriors is winning jack **** the next few years, so are we just gonna always have a "good not great" team to lose in the 2nd round every year? If talented players want to play here, then sure why not. Will we beat the Warriors? No, probably not. But when talented players want to come together and try and dethrone them, then you give it a shot. If we get Melo, we'd be the 2nd most talented team in the league. If Melo and CP3 are willing to sacrifice their game to win, then we actually have a chance. If not, well we weren't gonna win anyway, so who cares?

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Peer Pressure!

[​IMG]

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

in a league where you need top heavy talent if your goal is to win a title, he fits as a 3rd piece to give yourself a better chance. At this point of the rockets team, getting talent is what is needed before anything else.

ElDobleK likes this.
  6. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Exactly. If we're not going to join the masses in rolling over for GSW, then we need to swing for the fences. Bringing together a core of Harden/Paul/Melo is a risk that could implode spectacularly, but it's the only attainable grouping of talent that could possibly give us a chance against the Warriors next season.

BONIERO1576 likes this.
  7. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

Great all time basketball talent. I think a new scene with one of his best friends on a team with title aspirations would be good for him. Also, he wouldn't be under as much of a microscope. I think he would love getting wide open shots from James and CP3

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I want him because DD hates him and thinks he's going to destroy the rockets, which means he's probably going to win us a championship.

pippendagimp and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

My head tells me no, but my heart says yes, and my body says HELL YES.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

That's exactly why I want him plus this is probably the most motivated he will be in his career except for maybe Denver

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Because our guys WANT to play with him.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

13 Reasons Why I want this deal finalized:

1. Entice LeBron, Wade and others- become a top tier FA destination.

2. Make our current players happy.

3. Get rid of Ryno's bad contract

4. Upgrade the 4/3 spots.

5. Have our first "big 3"

6. I can finally start my Association in 2K!

7. The season will be way more entertaining win or lose.

8. Punchers chance against GSW.

9. So Cleveland doesn't get him

10. Have two stars on the floor at all times.

11. No more stupid Melo threads.

12. Know once and for all what he had to give up.

13. I can get my life back.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  15. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I can't think of any reason not to want him. He is a better defender then Ryno and Chris Paul and Harden want to win. I don't see him being a team cancer when you have other leaders on the team with that goal. Watching Team USA Melo is what I think he will bring playing with Paul and Harden. And if it doesn't work you wasted a year trying. Would rather watch that then remember any Kevin Martin games as the star player.

K-Low_4_Prez likes this.
  16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Because we gotta do what Morey said and "up the risk profile!"

No reason not to go all in

17. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

The funny thing is I actively started to dislike Melo as a player but as a 3rd banana I think he can bring relevance back to his career. He can play in this system and he gives us a shot. It's not a slam dunk that we are better than GSW (or hell even SA or OKC for that matter) but we have to go in with a full clip and take a shot.

YOLO likes this.
  18. Bo6

Bo6 Member

because he is really good at basketball!

19. SunsRocketsfan

For comedic purposes and entertainment

leebigez likes this.
  20. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

I'll say it again, with the way the Warriors are built to dominate for the next few seasons all teams who have prime superstar players have to take their home run shots if they want to win. Can we beat the Warriors with our current roster? No. Can we beat the Warriors with Melo instead of Ryan Anderson? Probably not. But still, you take your best chance and hope for the best. Now, it is reaching, but if you have a decent season and have a shot at Lebron, well thats just icing on the cake. Right now, there isn't a team that can beat the Warriors in the playoffs. But if you're in win now mode, you take your shot to improve your roster and then roll with it. Melo isn't Lebron. But with cp3 on board, you have a guy whom he respects and likes and who can hopefully keep him happy with set up open jumpers. Carmelo hasn't had to show what he is capable of in the last few years because the Knicks are awful. Im hoping a change of scenery, playing with a friend, and winning provide the lift he needs to play to his ability.

leebigez and mfastx like this.