1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No more than 80-90 points.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jodete, Nov 15, 2003.

1. jodete

jodete Member

The Rockets offense with Van Gundy don't pass of 90 points.
    but we have the talent to make 100 points.
    Are not the Rockets a talented team to make more than 80-90 points????
    Ok, we are without talented players like Mo taylor, Eddie and Pike, but... we still have talent.
    Van Gundy gives the defense, but the offense????
    Is better this offense than the Rudy's offense??
    Why can't we make more points???

2. Sane

Sane Member

Having MoT and Pike back will make a HUGE difference.

Even if Pike doesn't play great, his presence will help Yao score way more points.

It's unfair to judge the team without those 2, they are major scoring threats.

3. jodete

jodete Member

True. I hope.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Well, because all of the scoring in the league is down, not just the Rockets. A few games ago the Rockets had the highest shooting % of any team in the NBA.

The Rockets offense under JVG seems to have more purpose than with Rudy, quicker passes and more movement. This offense is more enjoyable IMO and will only get better with time.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

How about holding teams to a measly 80.4 points per game to lead the leage? ? Is that ok with you? :rolleyes:

Or would you rather be Toronto, who only scores 75? C'mon...
    http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortable_team_statistics/00002.html

Ya'll bunch of pessimists... always have to find something negative... that's why i HATE... wait... never mind that

6. jodete

jodete Member

No, I'm not negative.
    I hope more points having the MoT, eddie?, and Pike back.
    But I´m one of the positives.
    Still, I think this team have the talent to make the 4th place on the West.

7. SLA

SLA Member

Hmm...we are doing fine. Last week...we had 96 points against the Magic!

The whole league is scoring less..

I believe that our offense looks better than last year. There is movement..it's just better. Much improved or organized..just need to make shots.

I think we'll score more when MoT comes back along with Eric Piatkowski...Adrian Griffin I think is just a reserve. Eddie...I wonder how Eddie will do or if he will ever come back...lots of questions..

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Why does it matter how much you score as long as you're consistently holding the other team down? Would you still be b****ing about the Rockets' championship teams? Of course you would, because they weren't exactly lighting up the scoreboards either - they shut people down and scored enough to win.

9. Sane

Sane Member

Maybe the Rockets championship team is not good enough for #4 in this year's West?

Just a thought.

10. hulk

hulk Contributing Member

One thing you ignored is that Rocket's defense intensity need a lot of energy. That definitely affected their score. As long as they got enough to outscore the other teams, I am happy.
    ANother thing you ignored is ZONE, ZONE and ZONE.
    I doubt rox will be a high-scoring team even everyone get back because this is JVG's team.

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

If you guys watched JVG in NYK, this shouldn't be a surprise. Our team aint gonna be pretty, they are gonna be a tough team that grinds wins out.

12. jodete

jodete Member

I would prefer be eliminated on the 1st round but go home funny before that go to the conference semifinals making 80 points all year and watching poor basketball.

13. hulk

hulk Contributing Member

Man, I think you should be Mav's fan. Mav's the exact team that you want. But do not forget that defense win champions.

14. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

We are not finished in our final roster. They should be some tinkering done in the off-season (or maybe pick up a freeagent here or there).

Replace E Griffin(FA?), and get Pike and Adrian off the bench will also help.

15. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Who cares about the offense? I have enjoyed seeing the Rockets play the best defense in the leage, and win six of eight games. If they keep winning at this rate, I don't care if they don't reach 100 points again.

16. SLA

SLA Member

I think we've been playing beautifully! I love watching our guys hustle...I think it is very pretty when our guys make those open shots..of course..when they miss...it looks ugly. But our passing has been much better than last year to me SO FAR. We need to keep it up..and hopefully JVG makes some adjustments. Yao is kinda slow on defense...good thing we have Cato to help him. That is why we have a good deep team. We have various players that we can put in at different times...lots of energy that we need to use up.

Everyone on our team is capable of playing a role around Yao and Francis...besides Moochie and John Amaechi.

17. jodete

jodete Member

Mavs won us the other day. Mavs were conference finalists last year and maybe NBA champions with Nowitzki.

But I will tell you that I prefer our team, our roster.
    We have a great roster. Talented players at all positions, not like the Mavs.
    For that, we have the oportunity to be a GREAT team. I dream with that defense of now with an instoppable offense. I dream it, but this doesn't mean that is not possible.
    We can be an incredible team. I'm convenced of that.
    The Van Gundy's Knicks were a good team, but no with the talent of this team. If they were finalists, we can be champions with this team, and maybe this year already.
    I say all that to show I'm positive.
    This thread is not negative.
    Simply I ask some questions, but that's not a complaint or protest. But like Rockets lover I want ALL. I know it's very difficult, but with this team not impossible.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, I'm pretty sure the second Rockets championship team was one of the top 5 offensive teams in the league that season. The 93-94 team was a pretty slow, grind it out team. They are the ones that fans would be yelling about now.

"Why do we ALWAYS give to to Dream in the post?! Teams KNOW we are going to do it? Why not run some guard isolation plays? THen we would totally own0rz!"

19. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

And those fans are the ones screaming their lungs out about how we need to dump it into Yao and how the guards are the worst players ever...

Gundy ball is ugly, according to today's ESPN Sportscenter highlight reel centered basketball. But I still watch it because of the intensity they bring, the hustle, the heart, and the ever-increasing team chemistry. Though there are a lot that will claim the players don't trust each other, I believe that each game through the season has seen our beloved Rox growing, in terms of maturity AND trust/teamwork.

Just look at the Mavs game: Cat Mobley 8 assists on a night when Stevie only had 1? Cat covering Stevie's PG duties since he wasn't shooting extremely well. The Suns game? Cato/Yao combining for 6 blocks. Yao trusts Cato to be his enforcer; if he misses a penetrating guard, he has Cato backing him. If he misses a rebound, Cato will be there in position. Jimmy Jackson is a great veteran leader who, on the floor, can enforce Gundy's game plan. For the most part, he plays within himself and is willing to adjust to the system, setting a standard for the younger players to follow.

So I don't give a **** how many ponts we score as long as we're holding the opposing team to fewer points (like many have said) and we're growing as a team. Hell, it could be a 2-1 game at the end of 4 quarters, and I'd still take the win...sort of.

20. rich_argh

rich_argh Member

Im not seeing any hot alley oops no more... or any fast break dunks that go in... those are probably the most exciting plays we used to do... were lacking in offense now.. :( :(