1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So Far, Your 2003/3304 Houston Rockets are Unwatchable...Here's Why

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tranmerica34, Nov 13, 2003.

1. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Freaky, isn't it.

2. djunior

djunior Member

Stop complaining! At least Moochie Norris scored 3 points in 23 minutes as Stevie's backup point guard.

3. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I'm sure that's why Dream never cleaned the boards...

Look, I don't claim to have watched every single possession of every single game thus far. Hell, I find it pretty damn unwatchable too...Gundy ball is pretty ugly. There have been times where I've wanted Rudyball/streetball back. But, the transition takes time.

Yao is being a pansy right now, which is hard for a 7'6" man. He doesn't really fight for position, he just leans into it. When the guards toss him the ball, he seems to be muscled out of position which causes a turnover. I don't want to start a Yao vs guards battle again, but once the guards realize that Yao isn't going to punish the defenders, sometimes they take it into their own hands to win the game. I know everyone laments that fact, but Yao is still not a dominator down low. In fact, I for one think that SF and Cat have been doing a much improved job of at least trying to get Yao the ball in position.

And on the pick and roll, Yao needs to learn to body the person BEFORE he rolls. He stands there and rolls WAY too quickly, it's not even a pick. Maybe the guards dribble too much but Yao needs to set a much harder pick in order for the old PnR to work.

I'm probably going to get crucified on this Yao loving board for saying this. I love the 7'6" dude as much as any Rox fan here, but he is not playing well. The guards aren't really to blame for that. He needs to get nasty and soon.

4. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

I agree, the Mavs game was atrocious. By this game, I think the defense is overrated. Too many mistakes in the transition game and their interior defense was horrible. Their offense seems very unstable. Yes they move the ball nicely, but if yao doesnt score or shoot, they often have to work like hell for a decent shot. There's no cutting plays, but I do like the two-man game, which JVG employs a lot.

Neither Mobley nor Francis look aggressive offensively, and it almost looks as if they rely on Yao too much. Jackson seems to be pretty consistent offensively, and Yao needs to be more aggressive- it's almost sickening to not see him punish Bradley and Fortson.

Norris needs to go- he's not a liability, but he doesnt help either. I know we could get someone better. Norris seems tentative and reluctant, and hardly penetrates or gets into the lane. I like Padgett as a rebounder and a big man who can shoot, but he needs to be more tough as well.

Yes, I may be basing a lot on ONE game...but seriously, this was the game that the Rockets needed to show their 5-1 record was legit. No, not NJ...without K.Mart and L. Harris, two integral factors of their team. They should've been able to annihilate Dallas inside, but couldnt. Ming should have had 30+ points, 15+ rebounds, and Mobley should be responsible for more than a single-digit scoring output.

I still have faith in them, but there is a lot of work to be done...more work then most fans would like to admit to.

5. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

No, Moochie's way worse. At least Amaechi doesn't turn over the ball as often. Not to mention that he isn't playing a position on the team that would instantly kill any offence we have.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Last year's team was unwatchable....

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Number of current NBA teams with equivalent talent to MIA, DEN, CHI, ORL & NJ = All EC non-playoff teams (7), lower tier EC playoff teams (4) WAS, BOS, TOR, MIL, WC non-playoff teams (4) LAC, MEM, DEN, UTAH and current WC playoff teams SEA and GS.

Total teams = 17.

Number of current NBA teams with equivalent talent to Dallas = SA Spurs, SAC Kings, LA Lakers and maybe MINN.

Total teams = 3 or 4.

I'll think I'll keep watching.

8. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I hope your right and I am wrong! Cutino does not believe in Yao Ming, his mind set is only confident in passing to Francis or others. I have no indication yet that our Guards realy want to help Yao Ming become the aggressive scorer. If they were realy team oriented there would be much more of the inside outside game.Only the future will tell!

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Trade everyone but Yao to the Shaghai Sharks in exchange for thier whole team. They know how to play with Yao. They will get him the ball everytime and he will lead the league shot attempts.

10. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

11. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

so stop watching them.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

unwatchable...and yet i've watched every game but one.

13. superpro

superpro Member

They are difficult to watch for sure. Beating other five teams doesn't mean they are a team that is pleasant to watch. Most of the other five teams simply don't have enough talents but still can execute the game well.

If Rockets can execute the game well, I think most of the fans here will be happy even they lose a couple of games. And this is exactly the reason that fans really don't enjoy themselves that much even Rockets win the five games.

14. superpro

superpro Member

Haha.....

Man, this is a good one.

If we don't change, look at how Suns will torture this team tonight.

15. Win

Win Contributing Member

TA34, you pretty much negate any good points you may have made (and there were a couple) by resorting to hyperbole such as "The Rockets are Unwatchable". Like them (or there chances) or not, in this day in age in the NBA, I suspect they are one of the more 'WATCHABLE' teams.

16. Tranmerica34

Tranmerica34 Member

A couple of points for clarity:

1. again, this original post wasn't in response to the loss against the mavs.

2. these rockets are unwatchable in the same sense that it's difficult to watch something you care about underperform due to a. lack of discipline b. cerebral undoing c. selfishness.

it's like, the keys to success are so obvious, but yet these rockets are unable to figure it out. that's why it's so ugly and unwatchable.

as for the quality of basketball, it's average, but simply just could be so much better. as someone who likes aggressive, team oriented, pass heavy, defensive minded basketball, this team is falling short of what it could be. that's why it's hard to watch.

maybe some of you out there aren't as esoteric in your analysis and criticism of this team. fine. i'd like to see more ball movement, more aggressive play and for god's sake, cuttino, would you please give yao the ball on the pick and roll?

17. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

As far as being unwatchable, they're the Rockets. Everyone but them is unwatchable.

I must say, however, Steve's execution for the way he ran the 2 on 1 fast breaks against Dallas would be warranted.

18. rvpals

rvpals Member

I agreed with all the points you raised.

Don't worry though, it's going to get better. Maybe the next time when you watch Rox on TV, we might actually see a pretty good team