1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks sign Tim Hardaway Jr. (4 yrs, $71M)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 6, 2017.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Knicks dont have a GM but they still manage to make stupid moves.

Its in their genes.

francis 4 prez and No Chance like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Such a stupid organization.

3. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

All I known is if Evan Turner can get 70mil why not hardaway jr.?

4. conquistador#11

Can the league survive? I thought back in the late 90swhen oysterfatty of the jazz was getting crazy money. This is ridiculous but I guess it won't damage the league. A part of me wishes it did.

5. justtxyank

With the years being capped now they have some protection. When the tv money bubble bursts (if it bursts) there will be a major correction but luckily none of the NBA teams will have 7 year deals they owe.

Everyone is saying the money is crazy but the actual percentage of revenue the players is getting is still reasonable. The revenues have exploded.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  6. blackistan

blackistan Member

Now what would be crazier is if the Hawks match the offer

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't get why this is dumb. Hardaway has improved since he was a Knick. Should they not re-acquire him just because the organization in the past didn't develop him well and traded him away?

For me what's dumb here is signing a high value role player when they should be rebuilding.

justtxyank and Jayzers_100 like this.
  8. lalala902102001

This market is crazy. NBA players are making all other pro athletes jealous.

9. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Hardaway Jr isn't really as bad as people think. It might be a slight overpay but you have to do that for restricted free agents.

Looking at his stats, he played in 26 games last year of over 30+ minutes mainly towards the end of the year, for a team that was 5th in the East. In those games he averaged 20.5 ppg, on 49% shooting and 40% from 3 point and made 2.5 threes/game.

If he has improved to a level of 18-19 ppg (which is where he was at in the last 3 months of the year), then $17 million/year for a 30 min guy scoring 18 points at even a 47%+ level for a 25 year old with room to improve is basically the going rate these days.

I think its a decent bet to make, as long as Melo is gone.

ramotadab and BallSoHarden like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. justtxyank

Right, that's what's dumb. They shouldn't be locking up any cap space long term on guys like this. They aren't a good team. They should be trying to rebuild.

Mathloom likes this.
  12. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Ok what's the story here? I'm guessing agents are pushing this based on some clever "investment potential" criteria. I'm curious

13. arjun

arjun Member

Knicks should've waited and offered this to KCP

14. justtxyank

Teams are trying to make the offer sheet as a punitive as possible to try to find some way to make the other team hesitant on matching it.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  15. Entropy

Entropy Member

Knicks proving that Dolan is still the one making all the decisions for that franchise.

16. malakas

malakas Member

it's dumb because it's a major overpay for a one way player. One who also played in the Hawks system that has made a lot of wings look capable and once they leave for other teams they regress.
    The Hawks weren't even going to match anything above 12per as they should but the Knicks went after him like he was a premier 3+D player.

Mathloom likes this.
  17. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Phil Jackson was the problem!

18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Agreed. I don't think he will be a role player if he does sign with the Knicks/the Hawks don't match.

19. ferrari77

Where did you get that he is a one way player? Hardaway Jr. is not Draymond, Kawhi, even Thabo on the defensive end but he is also not even close to Harden's level as a one way player. I believe he is alright defensively, nothing special but nothing terrible.

20. ferrari77

MLB players don't care. Their money is as nice as NBA money. It's NFL players that usually pocket peep around this time of the year.