1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Missing U: Patrick Patterson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

That's why stats show that Toronto's defense was significantly better with him on the floor? He also shot 37% from 3. Not sure if trolling

malakas and justtxyank like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

First we miss out on Casspi,,,now Patterson. We could have had both. Next the Spurs will sign DMo...and POR will sign TJones to help defend their players from Portland bums...just watch.

Do something Maury!!!

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Is the DMo bridge burned?

Maybe I'm just being foolish but I always believed in his potential.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess it could happen, I mean, he is in Houston right now so it probably wouldn't be hard to talk to him.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm not so much looking at how they get along, but if they don't come out gangbusters, I have a feeling we will have an idea if PG is really got one foot out the door to the Lakers or not. The Lakers didn't move DAngelo Russell for cap space next year that is there for hopes and dreams. The offers being so low too also wasn't likely an accident.

However the Rockets better hope they don't maximize their potential next season because they massively upgraded the talent on their roster. We will see if it clicks or not, or I'd RWB can be who he was last year playing with another star player who has never played with him other than team USA.

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Right...
    Could do worse for a backup big. Has some experience with the system, chemistry with the team...

I'm assuming his asking price is lower than it was last year.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Please somebody start a "should we bring back TJ or DMo" thread just so we can watch Hollic/jopat/Bobby and co go nuts.

heypartner likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would think it would be, but you never know.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's amazing how the bad defender label sticks to him

Nook and Fawkward like this.
  10. mightybosstone

I actually still think he could get a decent contract somewhere else. He was one of the few reasons OKC even made that series with Houston competitive, and if I'm making a list of the top 5 perimeter defenders in the NBA today, he's probably on it. If OKC can't re-sign him, I actually think that could be a huge blow to them. They'll have seen substantial improvement offensively this offseason, but in losing Gibson, Roberson and Oladipo, they should take a pretty big step back defensively as well.

Mathloom likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't doubt he is of great value to them, but I doubt the market agrees with them. He's a restricted FA so most likely scenario is they wait for someone to make an offer and match - and who is going to offer more than let's say the MLE? No one will make that offer and lock up their MLE believing OKC will match. So in the end I think OKC gets him for less than the MLE.

Let's see. Heck, would love to have him on our team.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

People make offers to RFAs all the time. Brooklyn made several over the last couple years, for example.

In many cases, "locking up" some cap flexibility for a few days is outweighed by the benefits. Sometimes you genuinely have a little hope that the other team would not match. Other times, you don't have anything urgent to do with the cap room or exceptions anyway.

Also, a team may do a player's agent a favor by making such an offer in hope of some future favor in return. Roberson's agency is BDA Sports, which has a ton of NBA clients. So it benefits a team to be on their good side.

http://www.draftexpress.com/agents/agency/BDA-Sports-2/

Mathloom likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

He never was a bad defender.

Having said that, he isn't an amazing defender either and he is severely limited offensively.

He is a solid 20 minute a night player for the Thunder. He isn't nearly as good as the player he is replacing (Gibson) but won't embarrass himself out there either and will play smart and hard.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i remember him being a serviceable defender but charmin soft rebounder

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He played away from the basket and below the rim most of the time.

Hakeemtheking and cheke64 like this.
  17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Why do you always make stupid claims. Patterson was never a bad defender...christ all you do is post nonsensical crap.

If he was as bad of a defender as you say, Harden by comparison should never sniff an NBA court.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yup, his defense was pretty good at times, rebounding was just an issue. Not like Ryno helps us out there as is..

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Slight improvements when he was with Toronto and the Kings

FT percentage
    Steals per game
    Assists per game
    Minutes per game

3pt shooting percentage

He upped his rebounding to 5.8 rpg with the Kings but went down when traded to the Raptors again.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He blocks shots average but not great..... around 0.8 - 0.9 per game almost 1 per game

Rebounding is his weakness - 4.6 - 5.8 rpg

He is a good help defender IMO, he passes well for a big, he steals the ball.....he shoots. He is alright in my books.

When he was with Houston he was pretty good in stretches of games......just not consistently enough.

5 million a year.