1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Houston Rockets are HARD CAPPED! Discuss.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bilaal14, Jul 2, 2017.

1. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Did you read my response to Baubo? I love Morey, we're Boston homies (no I have never met him haha). I have always been a fan of Morey from day 1.

Prove that someone was turned off by Morey? That's impossible to prove, without mind reading tech, or just a really, really stupid social media posting GM (GM, not player lol).

But of course his smugness is a liability. How large of one is debatable. Maybe not that much at all, as you say. I tend to lean that way as well. It does not mean, however, that he could not benefit from changing that aspect of himself.

I'm a pretty cocky guy and my wife reminds me ALL the time how I could really benefit from being less openly arrogant/smug :D

steddinotayto likes this.
  2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

So does this mean no Hilario, and stick man Zo chi is his replacement..?

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

Can someone explain how we were supposed to be in the running to sign CP3 as a FA?? He was going to demand around 30-35 million correct?

4. pwnyxpress

We could still make it work with Nene, but up to him now. If he wants the non-bird deal we offered him already for 3 yrs. It is not that bad of a deal...I am a bit surprised he's playing so hard ball on it just due to that 4th year. Last paycheck I guess.

5. pwnyxpress

It would also have involved moving Ryno. It was a long-shot, so getting CP3 in trade is much better than signing him outright this summer. The latter was highly unlikely.

6. baubo

baubo Member

I personally don't get into trying to play psychologist and prefer to look at results, which is the only thing I have access to. Does Morey's nature hurt the Rockets? Maybe. But I can just as well say he helps the Rockets because he's creating a more talkative environment with other GMs and he's making sure players know our attitude towards winning. And that if he wasn't outspoken players may pass on us because they don't feel the optimism and opportunity here.

In the end I don't know if he's helping or hurting the Rockets because I'm not a player or GM and I can't say how they feel. But if I'm not hearing how the Knicks or the Hawks refused to trade with the Rockets because of Morey or that Melo won't come here because of Morey, I'm going to assume that the publicity is neutral.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Morey hard-capped, us he can't draft or develop players for **** or keep/respect a role player longer than a couple seasons. How are you the 12th team salary and already capped out?

8. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

to sum it up and make it simple, just get Nene to sign with us for the 10mil/3 yr. that is the most important first and necessary step from what i've been reading here.

9. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I still remember this thread haha. I have "What a great idea! Let's tank the season less than 15 games in for an inknown commodity! Not smart." saved as a note in my phone

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. pwnyxpress

First, sure we can come up with all kinds of guessing scenarios. It comes down to probabilities in the end and what you believe. His smugness to me is an obvious detriment, but I also don't think it is one that will practically doom many (if any) deals. Kind of like a friend of mine who can be a bit of a dick sometimes. I tell him he's a dick sometimes, he's still my friend. I'd like him more though if he were less of a dick sometimes lol. I think most would agree as it is obvious (oh hey but maybe some of my friends are attracted to his dick-ish nature due to the environment they grew up in so his dick-ish qualities are why he HAS those friends -- see what I did there? :p)

Second, yeah not many GMs go on social media to say anything about that one way or another...specifically their opinion about another GM affecting a deal. Oh hey I also did this deal because I particularly LIKED so and so, we're golfing buddies! Maybe that will change in the future; like Phil Jackson if he were still around would probably break that wall haha.

11. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I'm with this guy.

Kings were in a bidding war with us for Anderson. We can dump him there maybe?

Also, I know the Knicks dont want Anderson, but maybe give em Gordon aswell for Melo? Thatd bolster our team.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That's from 2005, are you that much of a long time lurker haha? I have no problem with that, just think it's funny.

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

reportedly teams wanted 2 1st rd picks to take Ryno's contract...
    PBev could have easily been flipped for a 1st... maybe more....
    We already gave up a 1st in CP3 trade...
    There's 25M in space.... at the cost of Ryno, Bev and future 1st
    I'd assume Lou was worth a 2nd... but let's assume worst cash scenario as a straight salary dump...
    There's 32M...
    You now have the ability to sign CP3 to a longer deal w no SnT... and you still have Trez and Dekker... and if PBev was able to net you anything above a 1st... and if Lou had any return beyond a straight dump... plus you're rid of Ryno's contract...

I offer this scenario just to answer your question... not necessarily saying I'd have done it....

14. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

We can go over with his bird rights. One of the benefits of trading for him

15. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Dont want to unload gordon for melo. Not this year. We need the bench scoring

16. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

I assume you are just assuming all of that. We needed 34 million in space to sign cp3 as a FA though. So nice try

we got him for 24 million cap hit by him opting in. It was just a straight trade. It wasnt a sign and trade technically

The trade acquiring those non guaranteeds put us over the cap. So we just had to match salary to get a cheaper cp3 for this year and allowed us to get a Full MLE to get a player the calibur of tucker. If we were just to sign CP3 we would have had to be under the cap to fit him in and not have been able to get these extra benefits

#116 Gorilladunks, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Discuss? #sleeves

18. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Hard capped us doesnt mean we are done. It just means we have to operate under 125 million this one season. My god you people are dense. We are only at 108/109 right now. We still have the capabilities to shed anderson for a 3rd star next year if not some crazy trade this year.

#118 Gorilladunks, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    BigggReddd likes this.
  19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

You're correct - wasnt a snt - misspoke...

and we still woulda had the 9.5M in nonguarantees to bridge any gap in salary for CP3... plus Trez and Dekker contracts...

Lou's value is a straight up assumption - nobody would take 6th moy runner up on a 7M expiring for free? lol...

Personally, I didn't want CP3... I'd have rather spent this (or less) on a PF - Griffin, Milsap...

20. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

No to griffin. hes overpaid for what he is. And he hasnt looked the same since all his injuries. Millsap is getting old. We need eric gordon . He is an elite 6th man . Always have 2 of harden, cp3, gordon on the floor.

CP3 is an elite upgrade over bev and lou will.

People honestly dont realize how good cp3 is

to sign cp3 outright we would have had to gut the team just as much. actually more