1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Trailer] Blomkamp's Oats Studios "Volume 1"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, May 30, 2017.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/29/...dios-experimental-films-science-fiction-steam

Neill Blomkamp is embarking on an experimental filmmaking venture that he’s calling Oats Studios. The District 9 and Elysium director released a trailer for some of the studio’s upcoming projects, which will be released to Steam in the next couple of months.

The trailer opens with a shot of an overgrown Eiffel Tower, as a voiceover explains that aliens have come to exterminate humanity. The trailer then shows off quite a bit more: a woman shooting an alien in a red-lit corridor, American soldiers flying over Vietnam, trucks flying Texas flags driving through the desert, a whole bunch of cool-looking aliens and quite a bit more. The trailer explains that what’s coming soon is a series of short, experimental films called Oats: Volume 1.

Blomkamp has been teasing hints about Oats Studios for the last year, asking if fans would be interested in buying films off of Steam, and posted some intriguing images to Twitter, showing off one of the aliens seen in the trailer, as well as a Vietnam-era soldier. Earlier this month, he showed off a 15 second teaser showing off a soldier shooting down... something.

While Blomkamp earned considerable acclaim for his debut feature District 9, he got his start with short films, such as Alive in Joburg (which became District 9), Landfall, a short Halofilm (his debut film was originally supposed to be an adaptation of the Bungie franchise), and more recently, an entry in BMW’s The Hire series, featuring Clive Owen. From the looks of it, these upcoming short films will be a set of really exciting science fiction films.

The trailer simply says that Oats: Volume 1 will be streaming soon. Whenever it hits, Oats Studios has our attention, and we already can’t wait to see what Blomkamp has up his sleeve.

Clutch and Rodman23 like this.
  2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Why won't he just make District 10??? Elysium was garbage.

seclusion likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Looks cool. All his movies look cool.

That was a Sigourney Weaver sighting for a split second. I'm in.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I would LOVE District 10!

5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Anyone not recycling old IP or making sequels or "tent-poles" will get a chance from me.

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Elysium was ok, but forgettable. Chappie was garbage.

But this looks interesting. I'm always up to checking out something new for Blomkamp, even if he hasn't found the same success as District 9.

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Huge fan of Blomkamp, and agree that District 10 should have happened a long time ago. I didn't hate Elysium, it just wasn't the same thing. Never saw Chappie.

The shorts he made for Halo 3 were fantastic. I can't believe they didn't result in a movie. I'm all in for this.

#7 seclusion, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Rodman23 and Deuce like this.
  8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That was really good -- here's the teaser for the next episode.

seclusion and Rodman23 like this.
  10. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Wow... hooked me in from the beginning. Can't wait for the next episode.

seclusion and KingCheetah like this.
  11. KingCheetah

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

man, these are great

seclusion and Rox_fan_here like this.
  14. KingCheetah

Firebase is awesome.

Rox_fan_here likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Badass. He's 2-for-2 so far, curious to see if he follows through and turns one or more of these into a larger work (movie, miniseries).

Rox_fan_here and Rodman23 like this.
  16. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Finnally got a chance to watch these last night. Rakka is definitley in his wheelhouse; has a very District 9 and Elysium vibe. I'd love to see it realized into a feature length film. Firebase could easily have been an X-Files episode, and for that I enjoyed it. However the main lead was trying too hard to channel a cross between Michael Bhien in Aliens or Willem Dafoe in Platoon. His performance just came off a bit lame.

This new one with Sharlto Copley is awesome...

Rox_fan_here and KingCheetah like this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Loved the first one. The second one a little less. But probably just the setting more than anything for me.

Rox_fan_here likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

19. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Just saw Firebase. Again great product, although Rakka is still my favorite. I was confused initially because I thought it was going to be one long series rather than individual independent stories. Either way, I would pay to watch these products. I can't wait for his next contribution.

B-Bob likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Next one: