1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mo Taylor to be Suspended Again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by benzman501, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone is saying that Mo's problem isn't related, just that there are reports that is something different, and we should wait and get all the facts before assuming what the problem is and trashing the guy for it.

If it turns out to be pot related there will be plenty of time for trashing him later.

2. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Whatever it is, the league doesn't just throw around ten game suspensions for the hell of it.

3. Raven

Raven Member

Since the suspension is being appealed, will MT be able to play tonight?

Raven

4. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Houston Rockets forward Maurice Taylor started his 10-game suspension Saturday for violating the NBA's substance abuse policy but not before getting plenty of support from his teammates.

Taylor was with the team for its shoot-around prior to Saturday night's game against the Orlando Magic, but he could not be in the arena for the game, pending the outcome of an appeal.

"He told us he didn't think it was right but I'm supporting him 100 percent," guard Steve Francis said. "That's all we can do is support him and not look at the bad part of this situation."

The league informed the Rockets on Friday of Taylor's suspension, his second in the past three years for violations of the league's substance abuse policy. The players association has appealed the action.

Taylor declined to discuss the suspension after Saturday's practice.

Taylor was suspended by the league for the first five games of the 2002 season following a December 2001 incident when Taylor acknowledged he had used mar1juana.

Taylor was on the team's disabled list at the time and served his suspension at the start of the next season.

Taylor averaged 9.8 points and 4.5 rebounds in 23.5 minutes in four games this season.

Earlier this season, the Rockets suspended forward Eddie Griffin after he missed several practices and a team flight.

"It's an unfortunate setback for the team," coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "Mo feels strongly that he's going to be exonerated and we'll let the process play itself out.

Guard Cuttino Mobley said, "As far as Mo, we've got his back and he'll be fine. We'll just keep continuing playing Rockets basketball. He's fine about it. Mo thinks positive all the time. We believe in Mo. The situation will be cleared up."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1657069

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'm anti-drugs but I'm not passing judgement until they release more details - if they ever do.

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

If "Mo feels strongly that he's going to be exonerated," you have to believe that he wasn't simply caught with his pants down. Why would he contest the ruling otherwise? If a test is positive, it's positive.

7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Look. I never meant to get in a war with you specifically, Le Grouper. I just didn't get how new information could come out (especially information that was potentially GOOD news) and so many people insisted on ignoring that information in favor of continuing the bashing.

You weren't the only one jumping to conclusions. I jumped to the exact same conclusions you did. So did everyone else. And of course we all did so because of Mo's past. It was reasonable to bash him when he failed yet another drug test to the detriment of the team. But it is wrong to stick to those guns when information comes out that might exonerate him.

I wouldn't take your bet for two reasons:

1. I don't have any idea if the suspension is pot related (just like you don't have any idea). I now tend to think it isn't, but that's just a guess (just like your take is). This reminds me of the NBA Dish posters who are so sure that Kobe is either (a) innocent, or (b) guilty. No one in this forum knows the deal with Kobe and no one in this forum knows the deal with Mo. (Though, as I've said in this thread, the facts seem to be leaning away from pot.)

2. I don't actually want you to stop posting. I usually enjoy your posts. I only wish you'd join me in hoping for good news rather than clinging to those bad news conclusions that we all (understandably) jumped to together.

8. LeGrouper

Well that's a very nice post Batman....:D

I admit I am jumping to conclusions. I also must stand by my confidence in what I jump to. I agree that people should not be convicted on belief, but I am not the judge here. The league is. They have already convicted. The reason why I feel confident to jump to conclusions is that I know in my role as an observer it is not important if I jump to conclusions.

I am just really sad about this, and simply tired of it happening in a Rockets uniform.

9. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

I remember NBA has a rule that a player cannot be fired because of drug reasons. Can somebody explain the logic of this rule? Why cannot an employer fire an employee after he breaks the law repeatly?

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It won't matter if MoT is on the expansion list. Bobcats owner Bob Johnson is on record as saying he will only pick players that the the city of Charlotte can be proud of. This is in response to all the problems that Anthony Mason and Derrick Coleman caused while they were here. There is NO WAY they will pick up MoT in the draft. [/B][/QUOTE]

Of course he'll be unprotected, even if this suspension is medicine related and unfair to Mo.

Of course Charlotte wouldn't pick up the conract, regardless.

I truly hope Mo is getting a bum rap, as opposed to just being a bum.

11. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

13. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Sounds like some cool friends you hot threre:D

14. CoinToss

CoinToss Contributing Member

The logic: It is all a result of the NBA Player's Union. All of the drug related rules that we are talking about are part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. The NBA Player's Union negotiated these provisions on behalf of its members, the players.

15. jdlee80

jdlee80 Member

Hey Legrouper,

If you honestly think that Francis, Iverson, and Tmac don't smoke then you are a ****ing moron. You aren't quite the athelete that those guys are, so it isn't surprising that you couldn't perform well while dabbling in the doja. If you asked any nba player how many players in the league smoke dope, they would tell you without selling anyone out that around 70% do. There have been many many reports on this within the last few years. Next time you call someone an idiot, make sure you know what the **** you are talking about first. It's hysterical that you honestly believe these guys don't smoke. Wake up dumbass!

16. LeGrouper

Oh, my bad. So what you are saying is that you are completely positive that the premier players in the NBA all are potheads....

I agree with your claim that I am not quite the athlete that the NBA all-stars are.... but I am wondering where you fall in all of this. Do you smoke, do you maintain your excellent athletic ability on the chronic?

Do you think Mo might play better if he wasn't a pothead? Or do you think he plays just as well?

I said that I have no doubt they all tried weed, but I will say it again... I do not believe that any of those three players smoke weed during the season. They don't want to f'up a test and they don't want to lose ball games. They carry a sense of responsibility about how their teams will perform and they care about creating a legacy for themselves in the NBA, they want the Hall of Fame.

One day you are going to have to grow up and get a real job and then you might start to understand that in the real world people don't appreciate their employees smoking dope on a regular basis.

17. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

That is why I think unions among professional players should be banned.

18. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

19. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

My bad.. hit enter and it posted.

Anyways noob, do you actually know Francis, Iverson, or Tmac? Are you their personal drug dealer? If you are going to make a point, atleast be civil about it. Your language won't be tolerated here. You sound like you are proud that these guys may smoke pot. These guys have million dollar contracts that say "DONT SMOKE POT OR ELSE." Is it really worth risking all that money? Only a dumb@ss would think it is.

20. robbarnett

robbarnett Member

I think its the hungry ones that we have to worry about ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.