1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Midwest Standings: Rockets Alone on Top

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rasselas, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Yes, it's early in the season. Yes, most likely this is fool's gold. And of course this will change. But I couldn't resist starting a thread with this title. It could be the only time all year that the above is a true statement.

So let's savor the moment!

Western Conference
    M I D W E S T W L PCT GB HOME ROAD EAST WEST PF PA STREAK L10
    Houston 3 1 .750 - 1-1 2-0 2-0 1-1 89.3 76.3 Won 2 3-1
    Utah 3 2 .600 ½ 3-0 0-2 0-0 3-2 94.8 96.4 Lost 1 3-2
    Dallas 3 3 .500 1 2-0 1-3 1-2 2-1 96.5 94.7 Lost 2 3-3
    San Antonio 3 3 .500 1 3-1 0-2 2-0 1-3 86.3 86.2 Lost 1 3-3
    Minnesota 3 3 .500 1 2-1 1-2 3-1 0-2 89.7 86.3 Won 1 3-3
    Denver 3 3 .500 1 2-1 1-2 1-1 2-2 88.2 87.7 Lost 1 3-3
    Memphis 2 3 .400 1 ½ 1-1 1-2 0-1 2-2 86.6 86.6 Lost 2 2-3

2. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Come on, have some faith. This won't be the only time Rockets leading midwest division. :)

3. CourtCourt

CourtCourt Member

we SHOULD be the league's only undefeated team.

4. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

True. :D

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Along with Seattle, who is undefeated.

6. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

Well.. in the 2001-2002 season.. we DID start off 5-1.... before going on a 15 game losing streak a little while later... :( and finishing 28-54 for the season.

7. daNasty

daNasty Member

Well I won't comment yet about our standing because this team have a very bad habit of swinging all over the places. We gonna need to play at least 10 games before we see what Rockets are made off and we haven't play against any top team yet.

Now speaking of standing, what's with Utah and Seattle? Thought last year was tough but this year is gonna be even tougher to fight for the playoff position. Man when you look at the Western Conference, all team are having a very decent record and underdog teams is taking it to the top tier teams. I see Clippers are the only weakest team but the rest is damn hard to tell.

8. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Considering we have changed our team just as much as any other team over the summer, I think that it's a pretty big acomplishment to be this high up in the standings. We have a new coach, we have Cato playing PF, we have several veteran free agents, and we have a new system that we are trying to implement.

This quick start will only give confidence to the players, which should help us stay in the top 3 in the midwest.

9. spaldingtattos

Our record has a lot to do with the scheduling. Come december, we may win less than 5 game the whole months and possibly have a 7 game losing streak at on strech.

I'd be happy if we can remain at .500 after december.

10. Sane

Sane Member

This team, when healthy, will never lose 7 games in a row under JVG, I'm willing to bet anything on that.

I can't even see them losing 4 in a row, much less 7.

11. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

By my calculations, our Rockets are on pace to for an outstanding 81-1 03/04 season.

:)

12. spaldingtattos

Dec 3 vs Utah - we'll see... Utah is much under rated this year.

Dec at NO - going on the road against one of the best eastern conf. team.

Dec 6 vs Det - the pistons beat us easily both times last year and they are even better this year. We have improved as well... so ... anyways could be tough.

Dec 9 vs Por - okay, the blazers seems to be down this year but you'd never know... not gonna be an easy win.

Dec 11 vs SA - Duncan would be back and the spurs are playing great.

Dec 13 at SA - back to back vs. the spurs... on the road.

Dec 16 at Min - another tough inner divison road game.

Those are just the first 7 games for December. The rest of the month also has games vs Pho, indiana, lakers, and not to mention undefeated sonics. Anyways, I'd be extremely happy if we can get through december with a .500 record or better. We would certainly make the playoff if that's the case.

13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

The longest losing streak last season was 4. What basis do you have to beleive it'll be 7 this season?

Rox always play well against good teams. Their weakness was showing up against the 'bad' teams.

14. Sane

Sane Member

Even if this was our schedule:

@Lakers
    @Spurs
    @Wolves
    @Mavs
    @Hornets
    @Kings
    @Blazers

I would still expect us to win at least 1. This is an unbelievably talented team, and currently HIGHLY motivated. Come December, all the players will have the system down, MoT will have shaken off the rust, players will know their roles, the rotation will be set, and we'll be playing like a well-oiled machine. I'm being completely sincere when I say that at any point in the season, given the schedule I mentioned, I'd expect them to win 2.

15. Sane

Sane Member

I also want to ad that ANY game at home (aside from Lakers) should and must be a win. We'll lose a few obviously, but losing to any team in the league at home should be considered a failure. I make an exception for the Lakers because aside from their boatload of talent, they have a boatload of players who have TONS of experience, making them that much better on the road.

16. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Given the above schedule, my honest estimate is for Rockets to win 4 out of 7. The losses are likely to come from Lakers, Wolves, and Hornets.

17. daRox

daRox Member

I'm thinking about Lakers, Spurs, and Hornets