1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem Olajuwon the 4th best center of all-time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoRockets, Nov 7, 2003.

1. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing all came into the league around the same time. The competition was fierce and Hakeem still came out on top.

Shaq could not dominate early on when those guys were younger. He only dominates after those great centers were past their prime.

2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Crystal balls are going for how much now?

3. Timing

Timing Member

First off, it was not a draw. Hakeem averaged 32.8 points to Shaq's 28 points and Shaq had a lot more stat padding towards the ends of games when he was left to go one on one to stop Orlando's three point shooters from getting them back into games quickly. Second of all, Shaq led the league in scoring that season. For the season he averaged 29.3 points to Hakeem's 27.8 points. So yeah Hakeem actually held him under what he was scoring the entire season and Hakeem upped his average by five points. I'm not sure what the FG% was for both players but I don't know how you could call that a draw. He didn't torch Shaq quite like he did Robinson, but he still torched him and he did sweep him which he couldn't do to DRob.

4. jdlee80

jdlee80 Member

Hey Tothomas,

Can't you read? He said "got blasted by shaq"

5. jdlee80

jdlee80 Member

Oh and Timing,

Not sure if you watched the orlando shalacking or not, but Dream absolutely dominated Shaq and is thus far the only player who has been able to do so. Although that first game doesn't really count with the 4 missed free throws, the proof that shaq got b****ed around was the sweep. What, are you backing up Shaq? Olajuwon was twice the center Shaq is. He had unbelievable moves for a guy that size and used tools other than pure fat to dominate in the paint. Plus, Dream shot a tad bit higher than 38% from the line. If you want to back shaq, go join the lakers or magic message board.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Pound for pound; inch for inch; Hakeem Olajuwon was, is, and always will be the greatest center of all time.

If you put Hakeem's talent, ability, and instincts into the body of Jabaar, Wilt, Bill, or Shaq.. guess what, he'd hold the record for every single statistical category imaginable for centers. Even more so if he played during a time of munchkins, unlike the era where dream played, against many of the other greatest centers of all time.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

We always say that championship teams had more talent, but when the same players go to other teams and lose, we say that team has no talent. You cannot equate physical dominance and stats with winning basketball.

Wilt and Pistol Pete were the most talented, potentially dominating players of their era and along with MJ and a few others were the most talented and dominating players in history. But Wilt and Pete never figured out how to win. That my friends, is on them. I do not buy the argument that Wilt played on so many teams that were so less talented than Russell's teams. If those teams had won, they would have been considered the most talented teams. But Russell's teams won, primarily because Russell figured out how to win and use the players around him for his advantage. Same thing goes for Jordan. Jordan wouldn't be considered the greatest ever if he hadn't figured out how to win with the players surrounding him. He'd just have been considered another selfish, dominating player who piled up huge stats and didn't win.

If you are talking about the greatest players to ever play the game, you have to talk about Jordan, Magic, Russell, Bird, Kareem, and Hakeem.

If you are talking about the most dominating individual player to ever play the game, who never figured out how to make his teammates better so that he could win, then let's talk about Wilt. He was indeed dominating and could drop 30 on even Russell, who was considered the greatest defensive center to play until Hakeem came along. I am confident that Wilt could have dropped 30+ on Hakeem also. But, in the final analysis, so what. If the dude averaged 60, and didn't win, it's useless.

The greatest players make their teams great.

8. vibe

vibe Member

This is exactly right on. Shaq is a monster on the court but doesn't have the overall bigman game and would have been dominated more often than not by Wilt, Jabber and Dream.

9. brooksstephens

CAN ONE OF YOU GUYS TELL ME HOW TO GET ONE OF THOSE SIGNATURE THINGS AT THE BOTTOM OF MY POSTS????

10. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

fist please dont post in caps on the bbs:)
    and second, yes click on the user control panel on the top right of the page and mess with your options

11. vibe

vibe Member

It's almost a shame that Shaq has had no real competition, during most of his career at least, to see exactly how good he is or might be.

12. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I completly agree with you here. Honestly Hakeem went against some of the greats, such as Robinson and others, same with the other members of the list.

Right now Shaq has no one that he competes against at the center position. I know Yao will become great and eventually have some say in this but during Shaq's Prime there hasn't been anyone that gives him a hard time and competes against him. So he should not be up there...but of these are all opinions, but i do not feel that Hakeem should be lower than Shaq in anyways shape or form.

13. DavidS

This so called, "so-and-so had no real competition" is only a half truth.

All you have to do is ask Hakeem, Ewing and Robinson. Even when they were in their prime of their careers, they would agree that Shaq (at the prime is his career) would be no easy task. The point is: Shaq would not be a "push-over" or easy to compete against regardless of who he was competing against. True, Shaq wouldn't be able to dominate them as much. But Shaq would still be "Shaq." A big dominant son-of-a-gun!

Hakeem, Ewings, and Robinson's size, power and strength do not suddenly get bigger in history just because Shaq doesn't have competition today. He would still dominate against the rest of the league. As would Hakeem and Ewing.

14. DavidS

Imagine this:

Shaq of 2000 vs Hakeem of 1995! A battle for the ages. No one giving an inch! Tit-for-tat. Both of them probably scoring 35+, 15rb+, and 3bks+ on each other!

Each of them scoring and playing the way that fits their style.

Hakeem with his array of moves and stifling defense.

Shaq with his sheer size and power.

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

That would be correct :D

16. Timing

Timing Member

Your statement is as much a half truth. Hakeem, Ewing, and Robinson all relied on athleticism and skill level so it really wouldn't matter as much what era they played in where as Shaq relies on sheer size and power. The fact that the centers today are so small is a huge advantage for Shaq. Ten to twenty years ago teams had real centers, not power forwards playing center.

17. Timing

Timing Member

The rules today are also a huge advantage for Shaq's style of play. Twenty years ago he would get beat up and gooned. Nobody is allowed to get away with that today.

18. DavidS

What? The zone defense? That hurts his game.

19. DavidS

Name them...the centers from 10 to 20 years ago...I dare you.

Oh, and there are 400+ other playres in the league during the 80's.
    Just thought I'd throw that in there...

20. Timing

Timing Member

You seriously mean to tell me I have to name centers for you to concede that there are more forwards playing center today than 20 years ago? I shouldn't have bothered. :rolleyes: