1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big In Japan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacBeth, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Being the favorite NBA player in Japan is roughly equivalent to being the favorite European soccer player in America. Very few people know or care.

2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Posters whose names begin with the letter L hate all posters whose names begin with the letter K. :D

3. cloudnine

cloudnine Contributing Member

Well, I'm half-Italian, so I only hate half-Mexicans in all honesty.
    Wooohoooh! Go broad , sweeping, racial generalizations......spice of life baby.

4. fabianrubio

fabianrubio Contributing Member

Do you guys think LeBron will be an all- star this year? the only way he'll make it is if they vote him but that means he has to get more vote the AI and T-Mac. If he does I'll be suprised.

5. Bankshot

Bankshot Member

This is so moronic. I have lived in Japan. I don't see all this "hate" you guys talk about.

I don't see Texans hating Mexicans for the Alamo. Pretty much the same thing.

6. MadMonk

MadMonk Member

Voice, you really don't have a friggin' clue to what you are talking about do you? Like Bankshot, I have also lived in Japan (for over 3 years) as well as China and currently travel to Tokyo and Beijing every month for business and I find your statements just plain stupid and ignorant. If you are going to cite the rantings of a far right politician (Ishihara Shintaro) and say that represents the status quo thinking in Japan then I guess Trent Lott and the late Strom Thurmond represents the mainstream in America. Racism in Japan is often based more on class distinctions/socio-economic factors than on purely ethnicity and I could go on about this as an Asian Studies major but this is A Houston Rockets basketball forum so why don't you do us all a favor and keep your sophomoric attempts at race baiting to yourself. :mad:

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

You know where this thread is moving.

8. voice

voice Member

~ bankshot

japanese don't hate americans as much as they hate chinese from what i've heard. anyway. sorry for all the generalizations, but i'm stating my opinion.

~ madmonk

have you read the japanese articles over there, always bringing up statistics talking about how chinese commit the most crime and r****ded politicans saying how chinese are ignorant and have criminal dna or whatever and how they're infesting the country or whatever. they got issues with chinese. and i'm also basing this opinion on other people's perspectives (both japanese and american people who have lived there have noticed it). i never lived in japan, so i have no idea and really don't care much about it. also i don't care if you have a phd in asian studies and really, it's not like i care about this subject that much. state an opinion and get blasted on. i am sorry for the generalizations though. not all japanese are like that. but there must be a lot since they re-elected the ******* who made those dumba** comments. you know despite your asian studies degree or whatever, there is one very famous example of japanese discriminating against chinese that has absolutely nothing to do with socio-economic factors and i would go into privately with you, but too bad there's no private messaging on this forum and it really has nothing to do with the houston rockets, so i'm not going to bring it up. and really where do you get the idea that i'm race-baiting? i don't really care about this subject at all.

9. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

so japanese like middle class chinese but hate poor chinese?

10. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

Vince Carter did an Asia tour not long ago. Alan Iverson and Steve Francis had some good exposure in Asia with some shoe and softdrink commercials they showed in Asian countries. That might have someting to do with their popularity.

11. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

thats unpossible, they dont sell jerseys in china. unless you mean hong kong.

12. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

They're exciting to watch thats why, Vince Carter with his dunks, Allen Iverson with his cross-overs( well not anymore), and Steve Francis with his dunks and cross-overs. Thats why they get voted as starters for the All-Star game.

13. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

All this race hating is crap. I'm Chinese, my wife is Japanese and our family and friends all get along. If you don't care about this subject and especially if you have no idea as you say you don't, then don't state it. It’s asinine to perpetuate these types of generalizations and stereotypes. It does absolutely no good to anyone.

Back on topic, I think that the tour that VC did in asia helped his popularity a lot. Not sure about the others though...

14. voice

voice Member

i guess you can't read, cause i made it perfectly clear to the other person that not all japanese are like that dumba$$ . also it wasn't me who brought up the japanese and chinese not getting along topic, somebody else brought it up, not me, so please kindly shut the f--- up. is it my fault for responding and typing some of my observations jacka**? if you want me to lie and say japanese love chinese, i can say that too.

~ pgabriel brought it up first, not me.

15. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

i think the rule of thumb in this forum is that if you make any generalizations about any racial group at all, you will get flamed, no matter how true one may think it may be on a small or large scale.

with that said, from seeing bjork music videos, all icelandic people are weird. and from my observations, Laotians don't get along with people from Latvia. i think its something about the 'L's. Just my observations.

16. tolne57

Why make broad sweeping comments and argue the point if you really don't care or have any idea as you say? You are just race baiting and trying to cause a rise in other posters. Stating that Japanese hate Chinese, or Japanese hate American, or Chinese hate Japanese has nothing to do with VC, Franchise or the Answers popularity in Japan.

17. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Guys...there is a forum for this kind of debate, and this isn't it. Please abide by the requested standards.

18. tolne57

You're right my bad. I'll shut up.

19. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Since most Japanese are short, I guess that's why they like short guys who can dunk and score.

20. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Who cares why they like Francis? The more Japanese money the Rockets can make by selling jerseys and posters, the quicker they can pay off Moochie Norris' contract.