1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Vote. 2-1 deficit: Spurs, Refs, or Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by napalm06, May 6, 2017.

?

So far in this series, the BIGGEST reason for the 2-1 deficit is...

1. The Spurs - adjustments, strong play, general talent level

19.5%
  2. The Rockets - mistakes, poor play, lack of adjustments, etc

50.8%
  3. The Refs - phantom calls, inconsistency, suspicious decisions

29.7%
  1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm curious to see what the general consensus is in a poll. Truly, a combination of all three of these is to blame. But what's the BIGGEST factor?

There are threads dedicated to each of these topics, but let's pit them against each other.

After game 2 I would've said the refs, but after game 3 I'm starting to lean towards Rockets. What say ye?

2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

props to the spurs.

can't ignore the refs though.

napalm06 likes this.
  3. PyroTex

PyroTex Member

Right now I would say all three. But Poppy is the biggest reason. He wins with great players as he should, but he wins when they are hurt or out. He win's with medium player's . MDA is good , but he ain't Poppy, hell he ain't even Rudy T.

snowconeman22 and napalm06 like this.
  4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I'd give half the credit to the Spurs for their defensive adjustment, play discipline and of course Kawhi.

The other half, I'd blame the Rockets, lack of adjustments since game 1. Mainly, what happened to the pace? Inability to attack the paint, Harden's terrible game in game 2, Ryan Anderson and the bench's terrible play in game 3, wasting a great game by Harden and Capella and a good game by Ariza.

napalm06 likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

blaming the refs for this 2-1 deficit is wack

the Spurs have played us well

eslate22, rm365, RESINator and 4 others like this.
  6. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

both.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Game 1 - Rockets
    Game 2 - 40% refs + 60% Spurs
    Game 3 - 60% refs + 40 % Spurs

Rockets - 1
    Refs - 1
    Spurs - 1

8. napalm06

Agreed, to an extent. The refs definitely pissed me off in game 2 more than I can remember being mad for several years.

9. napalm06

Agreed, in general, but I felt like game 2 was worse than 3 with the foul calls. Still, both games are highly suspect. Especially considering how drastically things changed in that area from game 1. Interpretations of rules can't change THAT quickly in 2 days, can they? :cool:

Emanuele Braghetti likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Cant blame the refs or credit the Spurs for missing wide open 3s

Remlap, DudeWah and napalm06 like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

they've definitely made some bad calls or had what I thought were a few egregious no calls, but they're nowhere close to being the main reason for why we're down 2-1, and I hate to see Rockets fans blaming them for these last 2 losses and saying "if it wasn't for the refs"...

PyroTex likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It's mostly on Mike .

That being said Lou and Ryan need to play better as do Gordon and bev to a lesser extent .

James has had 2 very good games and 1 crappy one , maybe the crappy one can be explained .

We've yet to find an answer to kawhi , gasol , or LA for that matter . Frankly it seems like the Spurs just have a better game plan and execution. That tracks back to pop vs Mike

Mike needs to stop being so stubborn . If Murray and Simmons can play 14 minutes each , there's no reason why Dekker ( when Ryan is playing this poorly and Trevor can't stop kawhi) can't get some minutes at the very least as a change of pace .

napalm06 likes this.
  13. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Isn't the problem that so much of our offense relies on refs to either help or hurt us? That's the rockets fault IMO.

kjayp likes this.
  14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

The Spurs defense is elite.

The Rockets miss the open shots they get.

That's all really.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  15. napalm06

Also true - to an extent.

But let's be honest, Nene's game isn't built on foul calls. Yet, because Pau Gasol seems to have a pass on loose ball fouls and under-the-basket fouls, Nene just gets absolutely hacked and can't do much with it. Same for several other players.

It's like the Seattle Seahawks once said "if you hold and grab on every play, they won't call everything."

16. bballjunkie

bballjunkie Member

It's a combination of all three. The Rockets were fools gold and built for a good regular season. Don't worry, I fell for them like I always do. In the playoffs star players and clutch performers are desperately needed and also happen to get calls from refs. Harden is the only all-star level player on our team. The rest are just bench players at best. It's a testament to how great Harden is that they are able to win as many games as they do. This league is built for teams with multiple all-star players to win the championships. The Spurs have aging all-stars surrounding Kawhi. The Warriors and Cavs have 3+ all stars. The only other team left in the playoffs that are similar to the Rockets are the Celtics, but they play great defense. Still I doubt anyone thinks they will beat the Cavs in the East.

17. napalm06

Of course it's a combo of all three. That's why the question is which one is the "biggest" factor. It sounds like your vote is for the Rockets? That's mine, too.

The refs are currently beating the Spurs, though. :p

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

basically .. . .

Rocket River

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Wait, media conspiracy isn't a choice? You're slipping CF.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. napalm06

I didn't know that Media Conspiracy actually influenced games. I was under the impression that it was just a negative spin on any result.

Os Trigonum likes this.