1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

we should pursue blake griffin in 2017 free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigSquirm, Nov 10, 2016.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The curse of the second round beckons....

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and what if he grew the beard and mustaches ?

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I was thinking the same thing about blake being a C in MDA's system. i think it would be our "lineup of death" with him, harden, gordon, lou, and whoever else lol (ariza? bev?). to get him we'd have to move ryno. maybe the clippers would do a S&T? i think its possible to clear the cap without the clippers help. my only concern is his injury history. i just don't see him staying healthy for a whole season again. however, if he wanted to come and it only cost us ryno and maybe a pick to get out of his contract, you have to do it.

but where would we be on blake's list? i think given his injury history, that 5th year from the clippers could be a deciding factor. boston gives you the best chance of getting to the finals, and miami gives him a similar warm weather party city. OKC would be going home but they'd have to clear cap space to get him and they would only be a second round team. i think we're maybe the best overall choice by offering a little of everything, but we can't offer the most of anything (money, winning, major market/fun city).

most realistic scenario is blake either takes the financial security in LA or tries to win in boston. hayward will mimic that, probably takes the 5 year deal in utah or reunites with his college coach in boston. ibaka probably stays in toronto since they made the second round. millsap seems like a good fit with us, boston or miami... also seems like someone dallas would sign and brag about until they realized that he's not actually a superstar and they're paying him until he's 35 or 36 and they still miss the playoffs. gallinari isn't worth moving ryno but i can see mutual interest via MDA connection. i can also see us ending up with monroe as a younger better nene or rudy gay taking dekkers minutes as a backup 3/4.

4. RCPM

RCPM Member

Hell no! I don't want that soft **** on our team!

5. rockets13champs

Zhou Qi better.. I want a 4 that shoots threes. When Blake gets old he will become David West

6. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Nah, we need to upgrade the wing.. asap. Getting Paul George or Hayward would throw us over the top.

BigShasta and Jayzers_100 like this.
  7. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

In hindsight, the clippers should have really pushed a trade before the injuries started piling up.

8. Rocket_Man_2.0

No to Blake Griffin...injury prone diva...he'd be Dwight Howard II!

9. DMO (DJ remix)

Millsap> Griffin and it aint even close.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Problem with Millsap is he's already pretty old. If we're going to acquire another star player it needs to be someone in Harden's general age range.

goldoil likes this.
  11. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

The future wing replacement looms large. With anderson and dantoni small ball we dont need a 4.

I love ariza but hes getting older. Hopefully dekker keeps getting better. A guy like hayward or paul george would help this team way more than oft injured cant shoot a 3 blake

Fullcourt and BigShasta like this.
  12. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Agreed. We should be 9 pages into a Hayward thread, not Blake Griffin.

That being said, it is like Morey to pursue a Star in his prime, given that he's literally done it to every FA star in the last decade. I'm expecting the Rockets to have sit downs with Griffin, Hayward, possibly Millsap, hell even CP3 wouldn't surprise me.

13. Daddy Long Legs

Blake in oklahoma with brook makes a lot more sense than blake in a dantoni system with beard.

When we saw howard we realized that athletic freak jumpers dont compliment hardens game. We need shooters and people with basketball skills, not freak athletes.

14. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Griffin's talent would be severly underutilized with us.

He's a poor three point shooter relative to the league and what we have, he's a poor midrange shooter vs the league, but he's great at the rim vs the league.

The latter is likely due to the fact that he is so athletic, something that typically has a shorter life than bball smarts.

Having him in, unless as a backup to take advantage of a skills deficit, would shrink our spacing and cost us a ton of money and future flexibility.

Unless he can widen the pie dramatically, so to speak, his risk-to-reward is unfavorable.

And before anyone marginalizes the midrange point I've made, you need to think about our team as a portfolio of shooters...some of which could still bring value even if their game is mid range. Why? Because all you need to justify a mid range shot is to know that if you can't make the jumper (or any other two point shot) at 1.5x the rate you hit a three, then it's a waste. While it's true that there aren't many that can do so and that the shorter floor spacing makes shots tougher to generate cleanly, it doesn't mean that it's not worth being cognizant of when analyzing potential teammates. Blake Griffin does not help us here. He would actively takeaway from our efficiency unless all he does is PnR.

http://nbasavant.com/player.php?ddlYear=&ddlShotMade=&ddlTeamDefense=&player_id=201933

Vs

http://nbasavant.com/player.php?ddlYear=&ddlShotMade=&ddlTeamDefense=&player_id=201143

Notice that Al hits well from all areas, increasing our current talent. Even with Al, we'd still probably favor the three given his efficiency...but imagine how much wider our playbook would be if we could now depend more on the midrange when teams load up the three point line on defense like GSW, SAS or OKC did to us round 1.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  15. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Meh, I think it's very possible that Morey chalks that up to Howard's decline in skill and athleticsm. we went to WCF with Dwight playing great for us, and with the shooters we have now around that squad could have given us a very good chance to beat GSW that year. We played them tough for 4 of the games.

I have no reason to believe Morey has unsubscribed to the belief that a true contender has at least 2 superstars, and he's never been picky about position or style, as he can adapt the roster as he always has. Right now, our high variance (Harden going off for 2 games, Volitility of the 3pt shot gives us 2 more games) gives us a puncher's chance, but I'm not sure that's how he wants to attempt to win it all year after year.

16. Daddy Long Legs

I agree another star is good but my point is that star needs to be a "skill" player like gordon or george.

That star shouldnt be a freak of nature athletic star like howard was or griffin or giannis is.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

With a max contract for max years....yes a million times yes.

DARE to be great, let's not miss out on Harden's window by surrounding him with Andersons......

DD

18. atam

atam Member

How'd the Andersons get tickets?

Zergling likes this.
  19. atam

atam Member

I think the only player we could add that would make this a CHAMPIONSHIP caliber team is Paul George, someone who could play both on and off the ball. Millsap wouldn't push us over the edge.

Daddy Long Legs and Zergling like this.
  20. Zergling

Zergling Member

Blake Griffin would be the best PF we've had since... Dream? I'm still passing though because he's a huge injury risk, and he's not exactly Moreyball friendly.

If the Cavs get upset in the WCF or blown out in the Finals, I'd ask them about Love. If not him, Morey should go all in for Cousins. Both are much younger than Millsap, but Millsap I guess is an acceptable Plan C if it's not a max level deal.