1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Round 2: Rockets vs Spurs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCityReturns, Apr 27, 2017.

?

Who wins the series?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2017.
  1. Rockets in 4

5.6%
  2. Rockets in 5

1.3%
  3. Rockets in 6

46.1%
  4. Rockets in 7

24.0%
  5. Spurs in 4

1.6%
  6. Spurs in 5

4.8%
  7. Spurs in 6

9.1%
  8. Spurs in 7

7.5%
  1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I picked Spurs in 6 but based on how we usually implode for a 5-6 minute stretch every time we play them it could be in 5. I can see Aldridge waking up and going batshit crazy on us because thats what he always does against the Rockets. We have got to shoot the 3 a lot better in this series or we have no chance at all.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

This is fate... Harden must pass Leonard after exposing Westbrick. Then he must pass Curry as he passes River Styx. Then he will face the three headed monster of the Cavaliers. This is all according to nba prophecy. He is the chosen one.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I REALLY think we should start Gordon and bring Pat on the bench. Gordon can shut Parker down no problem and their starting line up is an INSAAAANELY good defensive unit so the extra firepower from Gordon would be excellent. I think Bev could do more damage with the usual number of minutes off the bench defensively guarding Mills and offensively going at Mills/Ginobili. It could also somewhat throw a wrench in some of their planning.

I definitely think MDA is up for revenge and Bzdelik has had a little more time to watch tape. These guys will be ready. Btw, Spurs fans hilariously hate Popovic. Lots of them claim that Pops is unwilling to make adjustments lol. Wish it were true that Pops is bad at deciding when to adjust.

This is a series where I wish we had an average Sam Dekker backing up the 4. Maybe by the time we return to Houston he could start giving us 10-15 minutes.

Harden MUST keep Green in check. He did a very good job the last time we played them. I'm worried Harden has developed a fondness for the situational defense we played against OKC where he can just float around and then close out on one piss-poor shooter. Spurs will rip 10-12 points from us if Harden doesn't keep his eyes on Green. Green, according to Spurs fans, has recently been very average from range, is terrible at driving, loves to settle. Let's keep it that way.

I do NOT expect Ryno to have a great series, but if he can give us one outlier outburst in San Antonio, it could be enough to tilt this series and if LMA is guarding him on the perimeter that's one less 7fter inside. I don't mind LMA posting up Ryan one on one. I just don't want LMA getting deep position or and1's, which we have been able to do in the past with one on one coverage. When they go into LMA in the post, he's not that efficient and everyone stands around watching, which according to Spurs fans disrupts the flow of their offense.

We can do this. They barely won the reg season series 3-1. Two of those games they took because we collapsed defensively very briefly in the 4th. They are the #1 defense in the league, however we are the #2 offense in the league and we have the best player in the league. We know Kawhi is on a tear and that he made it a point to show up our MVP last time we played. We're going to be ready for that.

Rockets in 7. By game 5 of this series, they won't be able to contain our offense any longer. I predict Anderson will win it in San Antonio.

Cash Cam, joshuaao, Chucklz and 4 others like this.
  4. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Pat bev and let harden guard the slower tony Parker

5. Burko

Burko Member

I think if we shoot as badly as we did against the Thunder we'll be in big trouble. Obviously the match-ups are completely different and the Spurs may give us a little more freedom from deep than OKC did.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  6. arubato

arubato Member

L
    W
    L
    W
    W
    W

Rockets in 6.

7. crispy123

crispy123 Member

Rockets in 6 or 7: the key to winning this is exploiting two things.

A: Tony Parker. I saw him struggling defending Mike Conley yesterday and thankfully we have three shooting guards that can light it up on any given night.

B: the bench. The spurs struggled in helping the starters with production in losses, thankfully the rockets average 48 ppg from the bench.

I'm not sure how to add photos to further emphasize my point.

Honorable mentions: Manu (same point as Parker)

Exporting the fact he spurs had a tough series vs the grizzlies hence winning In six or seven

BigMaloe and RasaqBoi like this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

This could end up the best series of this year's playoffs. I can't wait.
    I believe we can win it in 6 or 7.

9. the shark

the shark Member

The key to this series is taking care of the ball. Every possession counts against the Spurs, and turnovers are a killer. Especially down the stretch (last 4 minutes of the gm).

Can't get behind big early.

Going to have to shoot more effectively from three.

EGO, LWill and Nene need to contribute like they did against OKC.

Clint and Nene need to stay out of foul trouble.

Rockets in six.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is going to be either Spurs in 6, 7 or Rockets in 7.

Spurs are favorites on paper but it is going to be close if LMA plays like a Hobo.

Rockets in six - best Rockets series ever and worst Spurs series in years altogether - 10% or less of that happening IMO

The truth is somewhere in the middle down the line.....

I am awaiting couple of thrilling OT games. The Spurs and Rox games were also always close.

#110 daywalker02, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    BigMaloe likes this.
  11. the shark

the shark Member

I guess we'll see how it plays out.

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

We're going to need A3riza and Ryno to show up to the party.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  14. PeppermintCandy

Houston has the backcourt advantage on paper, though Parker and co. have the playoff experience and smarts to counter sheer talent.

On the other hand, Houston's frontcourt is going to have to show up HUGE for the Rockets to have a chance. Ariza will have to play the defensive series of his life against Leonard. But the biggest challenge will be Aldridge, Gasol, and David Lee. I'm not sure Nene and Capela will be enough to counter SA's big men.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

we need the spirit of yao to possess capella, but with one "l"
    aldridge won't have a chance.

16. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Aldridge is not the same player and Terrence Jones isn't here anymore. We should be fine hopefully.

17. Bryant2108

Bryant2108 Member

I put Spurs in 7, just bc I see this going 7... this has the potential to be an epic playoff series. With some of the bonehead plays we make, I don't see us taking game 7 in SA.

That said, my heart says Rockets in 6, if we can get off to a good start, Gordon and Lou are still effective (along with getting Anderson going), and we can contain LMA, we can get this done in 6.

Can't believe it's been 22 years... I'm looking forward to this, hope it's entertaining and thrilling. Clutch city! They should bring back the starting lineup music from 95 (and I so wish the NBA was still on NBC, with that theme music).

BigMaloe likes this.
  18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the last time D'Antoni coached against the Spurs, he was with the Lakers and they got swept in the first round. Dwight got ejected in Game 4 before he decided that summer to sign with the Rockets.

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Spurs in 7.

It's pretty close to a tossup series. Spurs are a better team head to toe but the Rockets match up with them pretty well and Harden usually does well against them since coming to Houston.

Having a close series with the Spurs would not be a failure of a season; when things go down to the wire I trust the Spurs more to pull out perfection like they did in the closing minutes of Game 6 in Memphis. But I think Houston has a 40-45% chance to win this series, they just have to shoot well to realize it.

#119 CDrex, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  20. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Probably a good time to bring Ariza off the bench. Unlike the Thunder, I dont think we have the luxury of having a player on the court as limited offensively as he is. Time to bring Gordon to the starting lineup.