1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Nets 11/04/2003

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 4, 2003.

1. prlen

prlen Member

"Just like old times for Jeff Van Gundy and Patrick Ewing... beating up on the Nets."

2. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I agree with you.
    We did turn the ball over many times. Steve/ Mooch dribbled too much. They either ran into trouble or ate up much of the shot clock before we could start the play. Yao was not real strong in the block.

On the other hand, our 2 stars played badly or average, but we buckled down and other people stepped up, and we still won. That is the mark of a great team!

The whole team played defense well.
    JJ, MoT was impressive last night. Scoring, rebound, defend.
    Cat had 1 of those nights when everything he threw up went in.
    Steve had a forgettable night for 3 quarters and then came alive. That was very courageous.
    Yao was average. He could be stronger. He did get 11 rebs and drew enough double team to create room for other players.
    Cato was decent but he was a liability when the Nets left him and doubled team Yao before Yao got the ball. Jeff needs to figure out how to battle this.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

someone has probably already said this....but one thing the rockets of the past few years have been unable to do is to grab a team by the jugular, and close out the game. they did that BIG TIME last night against a really good opponent. i find that to be very encouraging.

4. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

Yes, and let's not forget the HUGE crunch-time assist to Steve for a layup that was simply beautiful. Made the NBA-TV highlight film and deservedly so. I think he unfairly gets the black hole label around here.

Even had a three-pointer taken away which wasn't his fault.

We have to hand it to Mo this game. He's been awful until now, but came up big in a much-needed situation, and maybe his game is coming around again.

5. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

Am I in Heaven?

6. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

The Rockets are looking good.

Jim Jackson, Cato, Mobley and Taylor are the big hosses of this team right now. They are the mentally tough guys right now. Francis and Yao are not ready for the big show just yet and they need these guys to pick them up.

The defense is something special to watch. I remember the Rockets first championship year they started off the season with a great defensive run, they held a opponents under 90pts for a record consecutive games. I think these Rockets under Van Gundy will definitely break that record.

A great defensive team is fun to watch, moreso than a great
    offensive team, imo, so it'll be fun to watch the Rockets take on Dallas next week.

7. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Next weeks going to be tough. One back to back game with Dallas on the Road, then the Suns at home. I hope we can atleast snag one of those wins against either team, and of course hopefully win both. If I had to choose which team I'd like to see us lose to, I'd want it to be the Mavs just so we could pound the Suns. I dislike them more then the Jazz, if that's even possible. Although a statement win against the Mavs would be nice, I can just imagine all the bs hype ESPN and other sports analysts will put in about Amare even if he sucks it up against the Rocks if we lose.

8. yckt

yckt Member

I agree. The problem is twofold.

1) The selfishness of the guards, they've been doing that for years..and they don't appreciate the space Ming created for them and reward the big man..Most of the night, he's doubled. I kinda agree that once Ming scored 6 points in the first quarter, these guards think it's their turn and stop passing the ball to Ming. It's just painful to watch. And didn't they realize the the large crowd on the road is mostly because of Yao? If Yao dont' score, who the hell care about the Rockets outside Houston? Who the .. give a damn about the Rockets before last season and how many national TV coverage did Houston had before Yao arrived? Steve and Cat try to steel every single game, these ungrateful B..

2) Yao's own personality, he's not very aggressive. It might be a virtue to be so humble, but it's frustrating...

It's an ugly game even if they won last night over the Net. Look at the tourn overs, the bad shot, the ISO plays... ..

Rox is the same old, same old. I went to Rox games 5 time last year. But I am not going to pay to watching the same old , same
    old. Outside shooting might work occasionally, that's it..

I don't think Yao will have a great future here in Houston, I gurantee he'll go to Laker or Knicks after his contract with Houston. Yao may be nice, but his agent is not.

Remeber my words, it will happen.

A Laker Fan but like Yao only!

9. tituspan

tituspan Contributing Member

Go back to your laker forum and post things there.
    :mad:

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

I agree: Our guards should be more concerned about making the team look good to the road crowds than about winning. In fact, maybe instead of going in the locker room at halftime, Steve and Cat should stay on the court and do some magic tricks or dance or something. Hey, maybe they could give away hot dogs to the crowd! Then the audience would really love us!!

But seriously, folks... that's the most bone-headed thing I've EVER seen anyone post here. Thank God you're a Laker fan, because I'd be emarrassed if a Rocket fan ever posted anything that moronic.

11. yckt

yckt Member

Ming's talent is going to be wasted if he teams up with a bunch of childish, ungrateful, selfish and overrated street ball players who failed to make the playoff for 4 straight seasons and were so pathetic and almost forgotten by the city until Ming showed up last year.

If you are reading this , Ming, think about it and come to NY or LA after next season. Stop being humble or nice and be responsible for youself..man.

---
    Yao Fan in LA

12. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

You didnt have to say you were a Laker fan ... IT WAS OBVIOUS

Yes the guards have been selfish at times, but I only saw a couple times where Yao should have had the ball last night and didn't get it. A few other times he got the ball and kicked it out before a double team even came. He needs to step up and prove that he wants the ball. You guys crying because he doesnt get it won't cut it anymore. Once Yao starts posting up and goes to JVG and says "GIVE ME THE BALL" he will get it every time he has position. Until then .. I am happy with the ball being in Stevies hands.

13. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

I smell an attention w****. Why the hell are you here, man? Go away. Being a troll is bad enough - being a Laker fan and STILL coming here to troll just makes you pathetic.

So Steve was "almost forgotten", eh? So then how do you explain Steve Francis being voted the favorite Rocket of all time just before last season started? Sure, the poll was skewed by newbie fans, but the fact remains that he HAS newbie fans. How do you explain that he was voted to two consecutive All-Star teams (including one BEFORE Yao showed up).

So the gaurds decided not to pass to Yao and take over themselves, huh? Then why did Cat take fewer shots than Ming? That, too, when he was red hot and actually SHOULD have taken more.

Freakin troll... just leave.

Oh, and by the way, Yao is not listening to you, and Yao will resign with Houston. Mark my words, it WILL happen. :rolleyes:

No, I won't excuse you. You should dance. Dance now! You never know when we'll get the opportunity again...

14. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I still cant belive i had to miss this game, im so pisssed !! :mad:

15. yckt

yckt Member

Steve Francis? The all time Mr. Turn-Over? Brown wouldn't want him on his Olympic roster even if he begged him last year.

Give me a break!!

Vote? Internet vote? Houston happened to have some 4 million living there and they hate the Lakers and Jazz bu nature. Stephon Marbury are 5 times better and mature. Listen to Marbury last year " I earned my all star, not by vote like some one (Steve) ". Francis is way overrated , he's street ball player, not a NBA point compared to Jason Kid, Jon Stockton, not ever Derek Fisher of Lakers. Look at Rudy T's roster "Matt Moloney, Eddy Griffen, Brent Price, Moochie Norris.....now Francis and Mobely.." All garbage players...

You are doomed to another lottery season for sure! You can kiss your Francis's ASS and go spend the summer vacaction with him while the Lakers is havnig fun in the playoff next year..

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It was fun having you around.

Well, not really.

17. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

I attended the game too. I loved the way the PA announcer says "Jason Kidd" when Kidd scores. Great stuff. Below are my pics from the game. My picture taking skills really suck. But I did get a pic of Kim Cattrall as she walked by.

http://www.steven-wong.com/netsvsrockets_11_4_03/index.htm

18. farhan007

farhan007 Member

good thinking genius. Have you also figured out that our pg, also has some considerable talent...

19. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

thanks for the pics sosodef76. ill try the same thing you did here on the lakers game on christmas day.:)

20. farhan007

farhan007 Member

Ofcourse francis is not a pure pg, he is a combo gaurd, same with AI, but there is nothing wrong with having a combo gaurd. Saying francis is a garbage player becasue he isnt a pure pg, is totaly illogical. Also, look at the leaders of tournovers last year. Funny, how you put Jason kidd on your list of awsome players, but he lead the league in turnovers. SO does that mean he is a garbage player... NO! Francis is one of the league leaders in mpg last year, also he controlled the ball most of the time, since he is a pg, so that would equal more turnovers. THat is the same thing that happens with Kidd. THat is why Kobe Bryant, Paul Peirce, Allen Iverson, and Stephone Marbury are all in the top 15 in TOs. Does that mean alll these players are garbage... Using your logic, yes.