1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So after all Harden does get those calls in the playoffs as well

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeem94, Apr 18, 2017.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Well that's an unnatural shooting motion. Players ripping through was from side to side to establish contact and THEN pull up for the shot.

These fouls occur during a natural shooting motion. Harden is drawing the contact and he's not going out of his way to establish it, like jumping into a player and then shooting.

I agree I think they try and tweak the rule, but what really can you do about a natural shooting motion.

Harden is just veteran savvy and initiates a lot of hooks while going up so the defender can't pull away. That's all I can realistically see being modified, is if the ballhandler grapples the contact in a hooking manner.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They can change the rules, but it won't matter. Defenders reaching with their hands are always going to get a whistle. The offensive player has done his job by baiting them to jump/reach, and then punishing them for it.

Are we going to outlaw pump fakes too? How about up and unders?

It my eyes, James is punishing coaches. Anyone that has played ball knows that you are taught at an early age to get physical with the ball handler so that you can get over the screen and recover for the flash man. James is using and abusing poor defenders that are getting way too handsy trying to get over these screens. It is absolutely a foul and always will be. The only other option for opposing teams is to switch, or keep the hands off and go over/under.

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL GENIUS!

BigMaloe and RudyTBag like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Brilliant analogy and comment!

DonKnock and BigMaloe like this.
  5. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

Enjoy the calls while we get them. The further they progress in the playoffs, the fewer calls we'll get. If they somehow make it to the WCF against the Warriors, don't expect any...

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm not sure how they can tweak it. Maybe they say if you are going around a pick, that's not a natrual time to shoot. So if the offensive player creates shooting contact going around a pick it's an offensive foul or a non-call.

Heck even Ricky Rubio started doing it. That guy is a terrible shooter and shouldn't be shooting after a pick anyway. And Westbrook used it in game 1 also. Lou does it all the time now.

BigMaloe likes this.
  7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I mean, Leonard just shot 19 free throws, and SAS had a massive FTA discrepancy despite taking significantly less shots in the paint against MEM.

I think it's important to understand fouls themselves have distinctions. Some fouls can be objectively assessed whereas others are far more subjective. Reach ins, or any hack on the arms, are always 100% a foul and extremely easy to call. In fact, if a ref doesn't make a call during this scenario you can bet he'll make sure to get it right in the next few possessions.

On the other hand, things like blocking foul from body to body contact, or verticality, are far far more subjective and difficult to call in real time. If a defensive player bumps an offensive player in the playoffs, it is possible that refs would ignore it as long as it isn't egregious.

For Harden, the types of fouls he gets comes from reach ins and swipes or hacks on the arm. I don't expect the refs to stop calling his 3 PT fouls because it is honestly a blatant hack on the arm.

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I don't know if the frequency of fouls called (for Harden) are so much dependent on what stage of the playoffs it is, rather than the refs who are officiating the game. You pretty much know going in that refs like Mauer and Brothers are going to swallow their whistle for the other team whenever they officiate a Rockets game, regardless what stage of the playoffs it is.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think that is because the refs will change, either. I think it is because GSW has SIGNIFICANTLY more intelligent basketball players then just about anyone. They aren't going to hand check when those screens come, so James has to make them pay.

kaleidosky and BigMaloe like this.
  10. do work son

do work son Member

this isn't an issue if the defender doesn't reach, and put himself in that position. slide your feet.

BigMaloe likes this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The rules never change game 1. They change over the course of a series after team execs, fans, media and/or players lobby, and also when someone gets paid off.

jbasket and hakeem94 like this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

are you implying harden is paying the refs each postseason?

13. Mr. Clutch

Well the play in question is not the reaching, but the defender fighting over the pick, then Harden/Lou/Westbrook immediately going up for the shot even though they would never normall shoot at that juncture

14. Mr. Clutch

Don't complain too much. Cuban's whining ended up with the refs giving Wade preferential treatment

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If the refs were to act against it, it wouldn't be through swallowing their whistles. Rather, they'd call an offensive foul for a moving screen (which is the reason for the defender being out of position to begin with).

16. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

they are not taking advantage of dumb referees. It's simple, teams want to go over on screens against harden because he can shoot. however, they are using their hands to slow harden down when they do this, because when you go over you are at a huge disadvantage of your man driving straight to the basket since you're trying to take away his jumpshot. So when they reach out to grab him harden teaches them not to do this and he shoots it. He is forcing the refs to call the foul. it is basketball and I don't know why you don't like it.

edit: I actually took this post seriously but after viewing the rest of your posts you're just not a fan of harden I guess

#36 Brown Lost It, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    hakeem94 likes this.
  17. jbasket

jbasket Member

Just like travels, refs rarely call moving screens.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

1 game doesn't = playoffs.

Sure as hell not expecting calls against San Antonio, and if they make it, definitely not against Golden State.

Turbo, hakeem94 and vtjsr2 like this.
  19. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

So getting hit on the arm during a jumpshot isn't a foul. Gotcha.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

[​IMG]