1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donovan caught saying "Can't play Kanter" to assistant Cheeks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

less Kanter=less bench scoring for OKC

more Kanter=more easy layups for the Rockets at the rim

either way, OKC is f***** :D

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This would be a very big disappointment. Any minute Kanter is on the court is a huge plus for us.

Zboy and Lawlruschang like this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not sleeping on him. In fact, I think at the moment he's been dealt a VERY difficult hand. Of course, he was dealt a VERY great hand initially.

The problem now is, as far as I can tell, the team isn't really coachable. Because they've spent the past 82 games with the sole identity of the Angry West tour. Now that's it's time to fall back on an identity in the playoffs... they're super confused. Are they a great rebounding team?? Or not really?? Should Roberson be taking open 3 pointers?? Or not really?? [to be clear, I'm not advocating leaving him wide open on threes... but as plenty others have noted, if Roberson is their 2nd leading scorer, they have a problem and even though the make him score strategy didn't work great...well at the end of the day it worked]. What is Adams role?? What is their halfcourt offense?? [I truly can't tell if they even have one]. Sabonis started 66 games in the regular season - now he doesn't play.

I mean I get that Oladipo was 1-12 and as a coach you can't do anything about that. On the other hand, Oladipo hasn't had anything resembling a rhythm all year, cause there is none in that offense. On this ROckets squad Oladipo could be a real beast. He shot almost as well on 3's as Gordon. He'd be having a "Gordon" year here, and Gordon would be confused about his role there.

And Russ isn't the most coachable player in the first place, but even if he was, when its the Angry Russ tour it doesn't matter.

As for Donovan... well it's a little too late to try and find your identity as a team. For all OKC fans complained about Brooks, I have yet to see anything out of Donovan that is meaningfully better. Did Pops get out-coached last year? Debatable. Sometimes a team is just more talented. Thunder plus KD, plus Ibaka.... even though they didn't all like their roles, everyone knew their roles on that Thunder team last year. Brooks also beat the Spurs in route to a Finals appearance. Even Bellicheck doesn't win every year.

If the adjustment is not to play Kanter... the Thunder have a problem. W ho are they going to play? Jerami Grant? If Kanter was problematic last night, Grant was disastorous, team wise... even though he individually was ok. He got 27 minutes for some reason and put up a -25.

Anyway... long post... which mainly says it doesn't matter how good Donovan is, it's too late to find that team's identity. Not sure exactly how I'd coach them. I guess having watched the Rockets all year, and recognizing what talent the Thunder have, my strategy might honestly be to back off the 3 point line a little bit. Rockets have been in a 3 point funk for a bit, and the Thunder don't have the talent of a better defensive team to both play the 3 line tight and still guard the paint and rebound. Meaning those plays where Harden simply cooks Adams, or Kanter... I'd still switch but I'd let my bigs know... hey, take a step back, if Harden nails the 3 he nails it... but statistically, especially over the last half of the season, he's more likely to shoot 3-11 (like last night) than 5-11. Just don't let him ALSO get easy drives to the basket, easy lobs to Capela, easy swing passes, etc. This is especially true if it seems like Harden or Bev or Gordon or whomever is starting to drive. Don't just trail them. Start a step back, and then get back even faster and quicker. Encourage that mid range shot the Rockets are so reluctant to take.

Prime example is foul on the 3 point attempt, which I believe Grant did on Harden. Why even attempt to fight through that screen? 45 feet from the basket?? Harden isn't Steph Curry out there. Allow the switch, and have the big step back a bit.

That lets you keep playing Kanter.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Please Charles Darwin switch into a zone... PLEASE...

DonKnock likes this.
  5. JayZ750

Not to follow-up on my long post with another post, but oh well.

I'm not a Kanter super fan by any means. That kid STRUGGLES defensively. But I just can't excuse Donovan for not "coaching him up". Kanter has the ability to be their 2nd best player. He's an elite low post scorer, and a near elite rebounder. It's not like LMA was ever considered a good defender in Portland. It's not like Kevin Love was every considered a good defender in Minnesota. And those dudes still aren't good defenders, but in those systems, with the right rotations and coaching, etc. their defensive liabilities were masked.

Donovan needs to figure out how to play Kanter, not just complain about how he can't play him.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What would Kanter be on the Rockets with Dantoni and Harden?

Rocket River

DonKnock and hakeem94 like this.
  7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He would be great with rockets. Their philosophy is to outscore their opponents.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You guard the perimeter and keep a big guarding the paint...if Capela goes out to set a screen you don't go with him you stay attached to the rim.

Probably should have been more specific, play a matchup zone on the perimeter and leave a big in the paint to guard the rim.

DD

9. JayZ750

I'm not sure Kanter is best suited for an MDA system. Which is somewhat of a system that OKC tries to do at times, where they are trying to do pace and space, 3&D type stuff. As someone else noted, he'd fit into the all offense little defense component. But would it be the best fit??

Whereas I think he could beast on a team like the Grizzlies. Or ironically, like this year's Jazz. You might say he was on the Jazz and they chose Favors over him. Which is true, but I'd guess they'd change that choice in retrospect - Gobert injury notwithstanding. Because you can probably hide his defensive liabilities next to Gobert, and he's a much better offensive player than Favors. He might do well next to Townes in Minnesota. Depends on Thibs - he'd either make him ok defensively or be so pissed at him that he wouldn't play him, lol.

DonKnock likes this.
  10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

He's a post up player. not our style. clog the paint. NeNe and Capela are pick and roll.

DonKnock and Lawlruschang like this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

OKC just doesn't have many bigs that can switch onto the perimeter and recover, no more Durant or Ibaka. I think Adams does a decent job at it, but Harden is just too crafty.

12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Get the Ryan brothers to resurrect the 1985 Bears 46 Defense ...

Jontro likes this.
  13. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Yahoo just picked up on this

got a notification on the app

DonKnock likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This doesn't work. OKC actually tried it. Many teams try it. What happens is Capela still sets the pick and rolls with Harden leaving Harden's defender in their wake, and it's a 2 on 1 attack to the rim. One man can't stop that. Gobert failed at it, Marc Gasol and DJ and Adams.

I've described this sagging defense with no help defense to you before and you continue thinking Capela and Harden can't shed Hardens defender when the big doesn't come out. It has happened, and it doesn't work. You must pick a poison or send help...or the sagging big is facing a 2 on 1, unless the guard goes underneath leaving Harden wide open.

Nook likes this.
  15. heypartner

@JayZ750 great post, enjoyed reading. Loved the "Angry West Tour" phrase

Just realized your comment here describes the defense in the OP vid, where Donovan says he can't play Kanter in the sagging D with no help that you described to a T.

Here's the vid of your sagging defense with no help. See how Capela and Bev shed the defender to turn it into a 2 on 1 as I describe. And that wasn't even Harden.

[/QUOTE]

noppeper likes this.
  16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Yea on second watching, Capela slipped the hell outta that screen. Knew Cole was no threat to fight through or go under with Kanter so far back and it virtually turned into a mini fast break with Russ pinned to Lou Will.:eek:

heypartner likes this.
  17. jdhu

jdhu Member

So, he "Kant" defend?

Jontro likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Huh, seems to be they beat us this year.......doing pretty much what I am suggesting.

DD

19. heypartner

Yep, with no help, we turn that sagging defense into a 2 on 1. It doesn't work. It's just picking a poison. I have many video examples of Gobert, MGasol, DJ and Adams trying it, in order for others to stick to the shooters.

It's Mike D'Antoni 101 play calling. If it worked, it would, but it doesn't.

I find it pretty shallow bball thinking and simplistic of fans and media to think of sagging defense with no help is some silver bullet defense against Harden or Nash's PnRs ... like we need to have a silver bullet defense concept because

1. they don't appear to respect NBA defense to think this is easy,
    2. or it's too hard to accept HOU has a Pick You Poison offense that require the leagues best playoff-team, help defenses (GSW/SAS) to slow down,
    3. or to imply Harden isn't that great at driving so one guy can stop him and Capela coming at him, if they just back up.

[​IMG]

We lost to Utah because their offense picked apart our defense at super high TS%, which over-matched our ability to destroy their sagging, no help defense, with layup drills.

UTA shot this TS% against us
    • 70% - Rockets November loss
    • 66.4% -- most recent loss loss with Harden, Capela and Harrell combined for higher TS% on 24-33 attacking the rim.
    • 61.1% -- Rockets November Win
    They needed to shoot very high % to beat rim attack. Gobert did do a great job of screwing with the drives of other players though...but there is only one Gobert.

20. heypartner

Kanter got ripped apart doing it. You agree with that surely ... this thread is about that.

And Gobert failed too. They didn't win because of a sagging d. Not at all. They beat us because they ripped apart our defense. We were 24-33 going to the rim at them.

I know you like simple solutions, but beating the Rockets with a 66% TS% does not mean you figured out a silver bullet defense. see my previous post. I'll show you video later too....of that 24-33 attack.

DonKnock and noppeper like this.