1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets main problem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Nov 2, 2003.

Tags:
  1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I see their main problem coming over from last season. No it isn't selfish attitudes blah blah. I think their main problem is something very subtle which not a lot of people catch. I think they need to go and learn about spacing. Spacing is the key to the success of the triangle offense, pick and roll, Princeton offense, and almost every other offensive scheme that you can think of. From what I've seen, Franchise does look for Yao, unfortunately because of poor spacing (Yao in the left block, Cat on the left wing, and Franchise on the left corner wing, get the picture?), he either turns the ball over during the pass or Yao turns the ball over because of the defensive help that is nearby. As a result, Franchise later on in the game starts thinking about that and so does all the other Rox players who have problems with spacing, which is why Yao doesnt always get the ball in a good position or even at all. The "me-first" attitude that everyone thinks Cat and Francis when it comes to playing with Yao is really more a direct result of their spacing issues because they dont know how to correctly space themselves to make things easier for the entry pass.

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

2 threads in 10 minutes?

I guess I better go to the tipjar and help get some more bandwith.

3. madteds

madteds Contributing Member

I think you're right. Checking out the game, the Rox don't move very well in offense when they get frustrated.

Yao seemed to be trapped in the paint, and every time Francis or Mobley would try to draw a double-team to pull pressure away, it just ended up as a big ol' mess of defensive arms.

More often than not, those clogged lanes led to turnovers.

Hope Van Gundy had the team watch a lot of tape this weekend.

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Spacing out makes sense.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If the 2 threads are good threads, then more power to him.

6. kryten128

kryten128 Member

Yeah, spread 'em baby! Gotta make more space to get it in the hole.

7. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

spacing and panick attacks (cannot handle the pressure) if JVG can cure those ills then he might get coach of the year.