1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Young Sheldon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't think I can watch this at my age. Will they take away my man card?

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I never thought this show was funny. Saying things in a scientific "smart" way is not funny.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  3. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

Recently the main Big Bangers (Sheldon, Penny, Leonard, and I think Raj and that shaggy haired guy) took a pay cut so that the lesser cast mates could get paid. That's what D-Mo was attempting to do when he hired Armstrong, right? We'll see if CBS puts up with the serious business that is TV Actor free-agency.

I don't know if this is a good idea. Spin-offs of successful sitcoms tend to crash and burn if they aren't written well and/or have interesting leads (that 80s show, Joey, etc.) Frasier is a notable recent exception that introduced very funny new characters. They can't rely on some kid acting goofy and making science references.

With this Young Sheldon experiment, they're going prequel so I have images of "When Harry met Lloyd" type failure occurring. Whatever. There are funnier things on television.

4. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

didn't know there were so many simpleton 60+ year olds that frequent this board.

Glish21 likes this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Didn't know that many people don't get the jokes on Big Bang...

justtxyank likes this.
  6. Glish21

Glish21 Member

Try it with the laugh track removed...

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

jim parsons seems like a good guy, but just like everything on CBS, Big Bang Theory is a show for people that don't like to think. Definitely one of the worst shows out there

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Texas in the 90s was a hotbed of comical situations. Throwing some nerd in there will be just fine.
    [​IMG]

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

No, I understand when they reference scientific facts because I learned those. When you understand it, you realize it's not funny to begin with. People only laugh because the laugh track cues them to, and then they feel smart for thinking they get it.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is just too intelligent for the Trumpers to understand.

;)

DD

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

THATS THE POINT!

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I suppose this is ultimately about Lorre finally giving Metcalf a series of her own after 25 plus years. The HIMYM spinoff would have been at least watchable with Gerwig but CBS was wise to shutter that just like they relocated that Supergirl show.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yeah, I really think that's more Mike Judge's raw talent. I don't think anybody anticipated Liquid TV shorts to evolve into a multi-sitcom and film career. I'm still waiting for Alex Winter to pop after Eddie the Gimp.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's basically Frasier with a younger cast. Instead of the literary references or allusions you get technobabble. The jokes in both aren't clever or witty.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

How ****ing dare you compare Frasier, a benchmark of the modern sitcom format to this bottom of the barrel drivel.

Frasier had characters that were smart, witty, funny, flawed, and ultimately outlined the irony of people who help others for a living having no idea how to help themselves.

The Big Bang Theory boils down to "Hey I'm a nerd but I also like having sex". Jim Parsons undeniable talent as an performer is why the show is successful.

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I was pretty young when Frasier was on tv but as soon as it came on I knew it was time for bed.

17. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I saw that this show would be set in Galveston. That would be cool. I'm sure any beach scenes would be from LA beaches but America will think Galveston has pretty blue water :cool:

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Frasier is miles ahead of Big Bang Theory and may be the best comedy of all time.

However, Big Bang Theory is a funny show for what it is. I know engineers that think it's hilarious, so part of me wonders if the people who reject it so hard are actually people trying to be SMART by saying it isn't funny.

Regardless, all popular shows have a niche crowd on the internet that will say they are terrible and that anyone who watches them are awful.

I watched a season or two of this and moved on due to time restraints, but I did enjoy it.

19. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Big Bang Theory is kinda like the Nickelback of TV shows. That is not a compliment either.

20. Buck Turgidson

It might be better than Shasta McNasty and My Mother the Car. Maybe.