1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Griffin doesn't get extension

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Real Shady, Oct 31, 2003.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sublimely Ironic.

Seriously, that won't happen, as Rod Thorn does not like to deal with head cases.

Anyway, following up on what Ivanny2000 said on the "potential" front, I would say the following: Back in the Spring of 2001, when he was drafted, we THOUGHT he had the potential to become a great player based on his status then. However, having watched him play for 2 years, I (and apparently the Rockets and many others) no longer think he has the potential to become a great player, based on the reasons that I cited above in my previous post.

All it boils down to at this point, is that he is a really tall guy who can jump high. A lot of Olympic High Jumpers can say the same thing, but you don't see the Rockets signing them to contracts.

2. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Sigh*, RASHARD LEWIS just drop 26pts in 19 mins in first half of Sonics Vs Clippers game (first game he had 35 pts).

Did we have a chance trading EG for him?

If true, what a waste. Why is he so disappointing?

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Rudy got fired and even though Eddie's lack of development was not a factor, it makes me feel better knowing someone got embarassed for drafting the biggest bust in Rockets history. On the bright side, no Eddie no Yao.

4. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I think we have to take the loss and hope the best for Eddie (personal issues)....this sucks, we could have gotten or kept some quality players

5. hpscc

hpscc Member

Rockets should try to trade him for Tyson Chandler or some other young big man.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rashard Lewis will be Rudy's biggest mistake, he passed on him 2 times.

Once in the draft, and once last year when the Sonics offered him for Griffin.

WTF was Rudy thinking?

One player is a hard working dedicated guy who would like nothing more than playing for his hometown rockets.

The other....is ...well....Eddie Griffin.

DD

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Don't look now, but I just saw him put up his 50th point tonight. Yeah, it was the vs. the clip show, but still....:(

Oh yeah, I have no life, watching the clips game on a friday night btw...:( :mad:

8. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Excellent move to decline his option. Do just what the Paperclips did and let your main head case (Odom) walk. In college, EG looked in some games to be a can't miss prospect, a guy who could do everything you needed a frontcourt guy to do plus he could shoot from the outside and had a ton of athleticism. But he was never consistent, gave off warning signs of being a major league head case (getting into fisticuffs with a teammate) and he just didn't seem to be much of a hustle-guy.

Last year, he couldn't shoot, couldn't defend and he was a classic tweener. There should have been a major move from his rookie season to his sophomore one, which would have been his junior season in college, but instead, all we got was a sophomore slump. Either he comes back, plays well and the Rox get to sign him for what they are willing to pay for him (not much) or he walks and the book is closed on the worst trade in franchise history.

9. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Hmmmm.....

That beats me - I never looked at it from that angle.

10. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Rashaad dropped 50 on the Clips.

For the sake of balance and fairness, Rudy was about the only coach (along with Jerry Kraus) who had the balls to Land our biggest acquisation since Hakeem. Rudy also landed us Cbark, Stevie Francis, Boki (greatness in the making), Mobley (a steal), Drexler, Elie, Horry, Casell etc. At least his sins are forgiven for just Drafting Yao :)

11. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

Good point. As much as we like to speculate and offer conjecture, the Rox (office, JVG, players) are in the best position to make this decision. Given all the time, effort, and money put into EG, there must have been very good reasons and indications that the time to cut their losses was now because his potential is pretty much zero now.

Oh well. With EG possibly gone next year, we will no longer have to think about Richard Jefferson and Rashard Lewis' 50 points anymore!!! :D

12. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Yes, we do. Scottie Pippen.

13. harumph

harumph Member

is there anyone that thinks griffin is worth more than the MLE? even half of it is being generous (imho).

14. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Another indication of JVG's no-BS influence!

With Cato, MoT, Pollard, and Badiane (in the wings) who needs an underperforming EG....

How badly was K-Mart injured?

15. zilches

zilches Member

Reserves...uh, bench warmers :)

16. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

This pretty much sums up exactly how I feel. Depression is a real medical condition.....bury him in IR for it, but let him practice (if he wants to and if he isn't a disruption). Evaluate him at the end of the season. Of course, he could still go audition for other teams, but if you do your job right, he'll want to be a Rocket.

17. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

One optimistic spin on this is that it cost us 4 1st round draft picks to get Yao ;)

18. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Member

Yeah i was listening to that during the nets v t'wolves game.. its a pity he has to go over the top like that.. by the way people the decisions of the rockets weren't just of Rudy T.. so stop blaming him for every player we've passed over and by the way there are no certainties in the draft

p.s. giddyup from what i heard the kmart injury was a severe ankle strain

19. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

That is absolutly funny!!!

Yao = 4 first round picks.

20. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

That actually makes me feel a lot better!
    Eddie didn't cost us three draft picks,
    Yao cost us FOUR and he's worth it! :)