1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Kawhi just take the MVP from Harden tonight?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

Saying that Kawhi stole it might be too prisoner of the moment right now. Most of the media was hardly talking about him in the MVP race until last night, and we're over 60 games into the season.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

That's because a lot of people have the belief that Harden literally doesn't even try or care about defense. That video from a few years ago did a lot to his reputation. If not for that, I think he would've been viewed as your typical great offensive player who isn't that great on defense.

J Sizzle likes this.
  3. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

No he shouldn't have. He traveled multiple times, and got key ref calls in his favor for 3 free points, a block and a backcourt violation...any of which all change the outcome of this game probably.

4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Harden will never win MVP in a Rockets uniform and Rockets will never win a title before Pop retires/GSW Superteam disbands.

/antijinx

5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I think it would be ridiculous for anyone to put blame on harden for this loss. They got beat as a team. but, I also don't think it's unreasonable to say he was outplayed in the fourth quarter.

#265 T for 3, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I guess Westbrook, and curry just do a better job hiding their defensive inefficiencies then ....Also, why is it always about shifting focus to other players with some of you guys? He is what he is. An incredibly talented offensive player with other flaws. Accept it and move on.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

.... That's the point I was making in my post.
    I wasn't saying those things as me agreeing with it. It was full of sarcasm.

8. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Here an insane idea: what if we beat the spurs in the playoffs?

swyyyguy likes this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Man, Calvin Watkins started off strong; I thought I was going to have to change my opinion of him. It didn't last. His arguments weren't strong at all and they were right there on a platter.

Harden and the Rockets performance was so good last night that even Windhorst, who hasn't said a good word about the Rockets in his 15 years of covering the NBA, was impressed. You can tell he hasn't watched a Rockets game.

I think it was Tim who brought up numbers that disputed Kawhi's "dominate" defensive prowess (this year), but the perception has already set in.

Someone on clutchfans.net has to get their credentials up and get a job at ESPN.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Kawhi's dominance and Harden's ineptitude are both over blown.

And to answer the question:
    no . . .seems like the REFs did

Rocket River

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

momentum is shifting and media is making it about Kawhi. If Rockets don't dominate and beat quality teams this last month and half, Harden won't win. As it is, rockets are still not seen as real contenders.

Above all, MVP goes to best players on one of the true contenders...right now that's GS, SA, and Cleveland.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

ESPN is the worst. I hope Woj (and company?), if he makes the move, puts ALL their NBA "talent" out of a job. :)

[​IMG]
    Jon Barry
    Michelle Beadle
    Chauncey Billups
    Bruce Bowen
    Hubie Brown
    Amin Elhassan
    Chad Ford
    Chris Haynes
    Zach Lowe
    Tim MacMahon
    Tracy McGrady
    Rachel Nichols
    Scottie Pippen
    Ramona Shelburne
    Marc Spears
    Marc Stein
    Ethan Strauss
    David Thorpe
    Calvin Watkins
    Michael Wilbon
    Brian Windhorst
    [​IMG]

13. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

this guy might be biased but he's really spitting a lot of facts.

kawhi has the lowest standard by far. just moving the goal posts to deny harden again pretty much.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sounds like a media problem & not a Houston Rockets problem. 3rd best record in the league* & "not contenders".
    *Unfortunately also 3rd in the West.

Remaining games against playoff teams
    Utah(4th West 40-24)
    Chicago(8th East 31-32)
    Cleveland(1st East 42-20)
    Denver x3(8th West 29-34)
    Oklahoma City(7th West 35-28)
    Golden State x2(1st West 52-11)
    LA Clippers(5th West 38-25)

Utah
    @ Chicago
    Cleveland
    LA Lakers
    @ New Orleans
    @ Denver(B2B)
    Denver
    New Orleans
    Oklahoma City
    Golden State
    @ Portland
    @ Golden State(B2B)
    @ Phoenix
    Denver
    Detroit
    @ Sacramento
    @ LA Clippers(B2B)
    Minnesota

I would ask, "Hey, what does he/they need to do?" but it's pointless since we'll keep doing gymnastics why someone else should win or is more deserving.

BigMaloe likes this.
  15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

JR we're talking about the MVP race... a media problem is actually relevant in this topic. You don't want the focus to switch to Kawhi, but it will if the Spurs keep inching towards the top seed.

We can win it all if things fall our way, but MVP voters like to pick MVPs who have a great chance of playing in June. It doesnt look great for Houston with SA and GS in the way, especially if they lose head to head matchups.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

You don't want the focus to switch to Kawhi but it will because the media jumps on the latest, hottest, biggest thing.

Where was Kawhi 3 days ago in this talk? A week ago? Beginning of the season? Oh right, he wasn't.

While Kawhi may be leading right now, check back in later tonight after Russell Westbrook is done playing. Media may change their mind & he may take the lead again! ;)

BigMaloe likes this.
  17. YaoDreaming

YaoDreaming Member

I just re-watched the game.I counted Kawhi defended on 14 total possessions in the whole game. Rockets scored on 8 of those possessions for 17 points. Kawhi defended Harden 7 times, all in the second half. Hard scored on 3 of those possessions for 11 points.

Harden defended on 22 total possessions in the whole game. Spurs scored 23 points out of those possessions. Harden defended Kawhi 5 times, Kawhi scored 7 points out of those possessions.

Now the number may not be that accurate, but it shouldn't be too far off,either.I just don't think Kawhi had some kind of locked down defensive performance the media tried to sell, and Harden was not that bad on defense. I guess the difference was the one game winning block.

BigShasta likes this.
  18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How did Harden score 11 points on 3 possessions?

Would be interested to see a more detailed breakdown of those Harden vs Kawhi possessions.

19. YaoDreaming

YaoDreaming Member

Sorry, I meant 8 points not 11.
    Kawhi on Harden: Harden scored a 3 pointer, 3 FT and a lay-up.
    Harden on Kawhi: Kawhi scored a 3 pointer, 2 FT(Harden defended Kawhi very well until he run into Lou), and a floater.

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't remember it that way, but then again memory is very unreliable.