1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much longer are we going to pretend Clint Capela is a Center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Feb 4, 2017.

1. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Capela would easily get $12m/yr after his rookie contract finishes. He has flaws, but that's what you get at this position for a non-max player.

I do think capela can add weight and not lose too much. But only slowly, like 8lb a season. You look at a young Camby and a peak Camby, you can add weight and still be effective with better positioning, smarts and timing. Not that Capela will ever have Camby's timing.

Let's just be appreciative of Capela's progress. Morey wanted him to stay in France(?) for another season or two, and most of us thought he was 2 seasons away from being ready in 2 seasons. And here we are in season 3, and Capela is holding his own as a solid starting center in the NBA. Not top 20, but probably top 15 considering fit with Harden. Let's just be happy about that.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Agree with your points, but want to add that Capela would get $12m/per at the maximum number of years right now if he were an FA. And we would match it in the first 3 minutes of him being offered that.

Such a great asset. We can keep him for another 6 years if we want and he will only be 29 at the end of those 6 years. All we need from him is to keep working on and off the court, it's going really well. His FT shotting is up to 55%!!! Murdered the Grizzlies. I bet that was Bickerstaff's idea to keep fouling him.

They say it takes big men 2-3 years to figure things out well. Capela was underdeveloped in Europe and came to the NBA younger than most rookies. He's just hitting that 2-3 year mark right now. He's already more than serviceable. I think by next season, he becomes worth $18m. Can you imagine a Capela who adds another 5-10lbs to his frame, has his first full season as a starter on a contender + high stakes playoffs under his belt, and a bit more polish on his hook shot and FT form? That's realistic progress. Just a little bit in each area. You have to love his work ethic when it makes you confident in his progress.

I'm kind of worried about how much money teams will throw at him the following summer, I hope we extend him early because he's showing signs that his value could be through the roof by the time he hits restricted free agency and by that time I hope we will have either secured a star big man or paid Capela early.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

He played like a Center last night. Damn good game

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i agree with who is saying he should not add a lot of weight, i don't really think his body is built to sustain too much mass...

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Absolutely. Hoping he plays like this in the playoffs.

6. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Probably best if he shoots for being strong but thin like Kareem was.

amaru and Vivi like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Capela made Bogut obsolete

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly. . . .esp if he does well in the playoffs. . .
    People will be throwing him DeAndre money . . . if not more

Rocket River

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He's absolutely gonna get DeAndre money. There's no way in hell the Rockets will lock him up for 12 mil a season.

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

This off season we are able to extend him correct? Correct me if I'm wrong but we should be able to work an extension.

Maybe we can talk him into signing less than true market value similar to what okc originally did with Ibaka.

Not 12m/yr because I'm realistic but if we could sign him for 4/60-70 around 15-16m per I would be excite.

I know morey typically was gung-ho about using rfa to his benefit and letting the market dictate but under the new landscape I feel it's best to lock him up early and not let a team like Brooklyn overpay.

Inb4 _holic says capela needs to be upgraded and rockets don't want him long-term.

Hakeemtheking, lnchan and hakeem94 like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i think there's no way rockets doesn't resign him...hes like harden's third and fourth hand or something...they mesh beautifully

DonKnock, douglasreedy1 and BigMaloe like this.
  12. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

It's taken him longer than I hoped to round back into form since his injury but now that he is in form, he's playing even better than I would have thought possible. As Morey talks about our window being open, I think we all realize Capela is a key factor. If he carries on near his level in the last two games, then we're a completely different team.

DonKnock likes this.
  13. seeingred

seeingred Member

Can we place him under house arrest? Morey and Harden inside, Bev and Nene at the doors.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Think Cap is what he is at this point, and I would label him a middle tier starter unlike the other guys on this team who I still think of as role players and bench players. So he's gold in my book. Think we have 2 legit starters now and a lot of top tier bench players. Gordon could probably be considered starter material at this point if he weren't actually coming off the bench. He's found confidence and I don't think that's going away or reverting back to opening day troubles. So just a couple of holes to fill in the starting unit.

15. Normalus

Normalus Member

He improved his english since the last time I've heard him. Awesome!

D-rock likes this.
  16. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Hopefully at least as long as I'm going to pretend my slam piece is megan fox

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  17. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Capela will get paid a lot more than 12m a year.

He's going to get 18+ without a doubt.

Steven Adams is making 25m a season.

He's better than Capela but not 13m a year better at 12m

Bismack just got paid 16-17m a year from Orlando for having a decent playoff series. Clint is better and bigger than him right now.

But Clint is not going anywhere. He'll be the rockets center for the next 5-6+ years.

BigMaloe and Hakeemtheking like this.
  18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Capela has shown to be a guy who will work and learn. A guy who will look to improve his game. That is always a positive.

Look at how his FT's have improved. looks a a much improved stroke. Unlike them Howard and Josh SMith...

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Don't see a quick exodus for our friendly French five:
    ClutchFans‏ @clutchfans 16h16 hours ago
    D'Antoni: "Clint is probably the guy I get mad at the most. He had 24 and 11. He could have had 35 and 20. That's just how good he is."

4 replies81 retweets192 likes

D-rock likes this.
  20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Now he needs to work on his singing.

hakeem94 likes this.