1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] Rockets have a crazy plan to beat the Warriors (and it just might work)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 28, 2017.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We're the only other "threat" in the field past San Antonio. Sure, we're a roll of the dice at best, but it's still better than the other 5 playoff teams which have no hope at all.

DonKnock likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Can someone break down who are the 7 teams that beat GSW while making 12+ threes and what teams GSW beat?

4. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Then we'd only need 4 to run back on D.

5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Rockets with a similar plan but a completely different make up than Warriors.

Warriors have the big 4, and Igodaula off the bench still a player. Livingston is ok too. Not much after that though, not a very deep squad...just that the top end is truly elite.

Rockets have one elite level player and just a bench FULL of role players, above average or niche players. Bev is a hustle master. Ariza is a classic 3/d guy. Gordon and Williams just firepower off the bench. Dekker and Capela young and full of talent. Nene the veteran warrior. Ryan Anderson a sharpshooting big. A legit 9 deep team, not counting Harrell who could probably get in and do work in small ball stretches against the GSW.

So the firepower is there to match but it's coming from more, slightly lesser talents. I think they can hang. It would be 7 games and a barn burning slugfest but it would suuuuure be nice to watch the Rockets overcome that team.

I don't think Cleveland has any real contenders in the east and I also don't think they stand much chance against the top3 west teams. Of course, they are defending champs so respect due but I just don't think it's happening for them this year no matter if it's us, GSW or San Antonio.

RasaqBoi and Hakeemtheking like this.
  6. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Agreed with your points. As objective as possible (without Rose colored goggles), the big 4 on GSW are truly elite as you stated. But, the sum of the Rockets' parts pretty evenly matches the Warriors' sum no? I'm talking talent here.....not experience in Finals/Championship pedigree.

Especially the 2nd unit for the Rockets. They have Gordon AND Williams (both studs in my opinion) who are not as elite as Klay and Curry, but they are more than adequate to overcome any team's line up. Harden is simply the Rockets' ace. He's the superstar and floor commander. But when that 2nd unit comes in against the Warriors, they will/SHOULD be a handful (if they play the way as expected).

I feel that acquiring Lou just put us "over the top". Yes I do feel we could use another strong rebounding big. But even without that, Lou is a YUUUUUGE impact on this roster. Just one more stud that can create and shoot 3s and draw fouls is a luxury Rockets now have 2 of aside from Harden. This team is great as constructed.

Dankstronaut and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

They've def doubled and tripled down on strength instead of trying cover every weakness. I'm in, I think this is a chip caliber roster. Especially if the news about KD is true, I don't wish injury on opponents but still better them than us. I think they "traded"a lot of bench for another star...Harrison, bogut, barbosa, ezeli, spates...all those guys contributed big time and idk if anyone has ever had a bone bruise, I can promise you save steroids or medical marvel KD isn't coming back this year. That **** hurts like you wouldn't believe and takes forever to heal. Had mine on the shin 2+ years ago and I still haven't made a full recovery as far as strength goes. When I bump it on something now it feels like hitting a baseball off the top of that bat. That jarring sting. Breaking a bone is quite preferable as I understand. So, that said...without the bench, without KD...I kinda thought we had the horses to match up anyway. Now they're totally touchable and entirely easier to match up with.

Bev takes curry, Ariza takes clay and you force green to be the batman which I don't think he is. Gordon, Lou, even Nene and Anderson....how do THEY match us now?

Fyreball, Tha_Dude, rhee and 2 others like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

PREACH!

9. bongman

bongman Member

Can this be translated to... We have a 50/50 chance? If so, I would love to take those odds against GS. :)

rhee likes this.
  10. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Good post. There's optimism out there that KD will be re evaluated in 4 weeks and the overall sentiment is this is not "too bad" of a blow to GSW.

Now I have no experience with bone bruises, but is it possible the optimism is warranted? Or are they just in denial and deceiving themselves?

11. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

i sincerely doubt he plays this season. Mine felt like having a baseball stuck in my leg. If he plays it was either exaggerated or a legit medical marvel. Bone bruises are THE WORST!!!

12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Losses:

San Antonio (blowout first game of the season) - 12/24
    Houston - 14/44
    Cleveland - 12/35
    Memphis - 13/33
    Miami - 13/30
    Denver - 24/40
    Washington - 12/28

Just heading out now can find out the wins later, unless someone beats me to the punch

Deuce, Fyreball, Jontro and 1 other person like this.
  13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

For the Rockets it does come down to basic math. There is some cutoff that I am too lazy to calculate that if they shoot a % from 3 likely 35-38% on at least 40-45 they probably will win. Morey has probably assembled the deepest above average 3 point shooting roster well ever to try and make this work.

I think as the season winds down we are going to see Houston shooting even more from 3 and basically just saying fuggit on D and the boards. As the writer noted you can't beat the Warriors conventionally so what the hell lets see if the math works out. It just might.

14. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

As soon as we lock in the three seed I need bev and Gordon permabenched. Give Lou a chance to get comfy and do not hurt our little gods

Hakeemtheking and hakeem94 like this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We average 14.7 3pts made. I like our odds too. :)

bongman likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

" Steph Curry has now missed 30 of his last 34 3-point attempts. "

rocketman84 likes this.
  17. BackdoorHarden

2nd round is going to be crazy with ROckets against Warriors.

140 to 130 points game!!!!

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I think Spurs will creep into the #1 spot and the Warriors will face Grizzles / Thunder first round.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The solution is that we did it last night. The formula works. The issue is if it's going to work 4/7 times with each matchup in the playoffs. We win most of our games when we're hitting from deep and half of them when we're not. So we're doing something right. The nice thing is that we don't have to worry about what other teams do. We control our destiny by hitting shots. The only prayer is that we're clicking when it matters.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  20. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Unfortunately for him and everyone else, that won't last long (haven't looked yet what he did today against NYK).
    But we can hope like crazy that if/when we meet GSW in whatever stage of the finals, he shoots a similar 1 of 34 attempts from 3 again.