1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Sign Isaiah Taylor to 3 year Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

He was good in college and can turn into a solid pro, but at a time where we are looking to sign the likes of an Andrew Bogut or a Larry Sanders, this is not a drop in the bucket let alone a splash.

DonKnock likes this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He might be my favorite Rocket to ever play just one season in Houston. What a player! Fun to watch, creative, played hard.

Tha_Dude, Vivi and D-rock like this.
  3. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Or there goes Bobby Brown. Really if they can afford a final upgrade, Brown is out

DonKnock likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Taylor would be a much better defender if his arms were not so abnormally short (6'3 wingspan for a guy who is 6'2). His agility, speed and tenaciousness make up for this handicap, somewhat.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree, i still remember him when he first came into the Italian league, there was a lot of hype because he came after Ginobili and a lot of people kinda expected him to be on the same level...obviously that didn't turn out to be true, but he was still very good, talented and also pretty athletic at the time, not as good as he is right now as a shooter but still ok. Damn i feel old lol

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

so KJ for a NBDL scrub?WTF.

7. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

you want this kid to play for our playoffs?

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

This thread has some very weird reactions to a guy being signed to a non-guaranteed, rookie minimum deal.

9. Moahst

Moahst Member

I watched Isaiah Taylor a lot while he was at UT. He can be a scorer in the NBA. He's got excellent slashing and penetration skills. I think we should consider him a project for the next two or three years. He's not going to help in this season's playoffs and he still needs to solidify his jump shot.

10. dje243

dje243 Member

I haven't kept up with RGV much this year but both Isaiah and Onuaku appear to have made big strides down there. Along with Wiltjer there's plenty to be excited about.

11. MGC

MGC Member

Maury all locked in for the NBA DLeague Championship. :cool:

12. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Why do we collect so many guards while our C is raped again and again.

RocketsTerps likes this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

14. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree as well. Loved Carlos, he certainly had the killer instinct every team needs.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Anybody know what Morey did to PeterKingX? :D I doubt they just signed him to a non-guaranteed contract at the expense of picking up Wilt Chamberlain. They probably know realistically what's going on behind the scenes in terms of what they can get at the C position despite what all the "experts" think they're passing up. If they think they can get something, it's still out there to be gotten.

Anyway, as for Isaiah Taylor, we've discussed his "interesting" happenings during the season in the D-League this year in a couple of other threads. He wasn't just a guy doing well in the D-League. He was abusing people. The first few months of this season, he was a top-3 player in the D-League and one of his supposed weaknesses, his 3-point shooting had all of a sudden become a strength. He was shooting around 54% on FG's, 45% on 3's and 2nd in the league in scoring at the time while averaging over 7 assists per game. So he wasn't just doing it all, he was doing it well. He wasn't just jacking shots, he had a good FG%.

He was pretty much balling out every game... and then... the consipracy theories start. :D

On November 26th he had a game where he scored 35 points and shot 50% from 3. After the game, he disappeared. He didn't play again until February. There was no indication of what happened other than one story that kind of mentions he may have tweaked his groin. I don't think his Twitter even makes mention of what happened. Was he really injured? Were the Rockets hiding him? Are the Rockets scared by what happened with Hassan Whiteside and Robert Cov... well, ok... let's just leave it at Hassan Whiteside. Dun dun duuuuuuun ....

I don't know what happened, but like I said, he just returned earlier this month. In his absence, players like Darius Morris have upped their game and stepped into bigger roles, as well. Obviously the Rockets see a lot in the kid, and well, they're not that worried about his defense. I haven't watched much Vipers ball this season, but have been following his stats and story. With Tyler Ennis, KJ McDaniels, etc. you know what you have/had... and it obviously wasn't worth keeping. With a Isaiah Taylor, they obviously think it's worth taking a flyer on for 3 years non-guaranteed. Taylor may turn out to be nothing or he may turn out to be a solid role player or even a steal. They obviously think it's a gamble worth taking.

#116 Dr of Dunk, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Deuce, Yung-T and DonKnock like this.
  17. H-Town Rockets Guy

We are getting killed inside the paint and Morey did what?
    We need a Center or PF that can protect the rim and rebound.
    Blatche, Larry Sanders, Bogut, Sullinger?

DonKnock likes this.
  18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

So much Carlos Delfino love

[​IMG]

Williamson likes this.
  19. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

Blatche?? Yikes we must be desperate

20. dragonz

dragonz Member

He reminds me about TJ Ford, quick first step, not a good shooter. Small size, not a good length.
    But the thing about him is he work extremely hard, have a good court vision. Maybe he can practice his shots and become a good 3pt shooter, and play defense like Patrick Beverley.