1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pelicans Pick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by finsraider, Feb 27, 2017.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Dont look now, but that Pellies pick is slotted to go 5th overall and is just one loss away from #4.

Not sure which would be more hilarious....for New Orleans to be so terrible with Boogie that Sacramento gets the #4 pick, or for Sacramento to be so unfortunate that the pick ends up in the top 3, allowing New Orleans to retain it.

BigMaloe, Ramo$e, roslolian and 4 others like this.
  2. gah

gah Member

A high draft pick would somewhat salvage the trade for the Kings; didn't realize how close to the bottom all of the fringe playoff teams are.

roslolian likes this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Too bad for the Kings that their pick will be eventually swapped by the Sixers but yeah, this trade has the potential to ruin the Pelicans going forward.

I can really see Holiday walk in the offseason, Boogie out in one way or another in 12 months...

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If the Kings get the #4 or 5 pick out of this draft I will take back every bad thing I said about it on their part.

roslolian and RasaqBoi like this.
  5. da_juice

da_juice Member

It doesn't matter. They always find a way to screw it up

DudeWah, BigMaloe, Ramo$e and 3 others like this.
  6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I can't believe Divac couldn't convince them to remove the protection. #1 protection fine....top 3???

malakas and Ramo$e like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It would definitely help if the pick was a top 10 pick, top 5 would be really good.

Although, it's top 3 protected. Even if it's # 4 which is the best case scenario, the value still isn't on par to what I and many others believe his real value was based on how I think the Pelicans pick (IMO not likely to stay at 4-5 but who knows) and Buddy will turn out.

That being said, if the 4th-10th or whatever pick they end up getting turns out to be a star, if Buddy develops into a respectable or better then respectable player then It could be a great move for the Kings (especially watching how foolish Cousins is, he has real talent and real mental issues). They just really need to nail this upcoming pick.

8. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

It doesn't matter really. Whoever the Kings select will likely be moved out in a matter of time because the organization is almost as dysfunctional as the double headed clown show that are the New York franchises.

I don't know any Kings fans personally, but my heart goes out to any who are. NBA officiating robbed them of their title chances during the Adelman era, and now they're stuck in the basement and it seems like they have no way out.

da_juice and malakas like this.
  9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Who cares? Kings, Wolves and a bunch of other poorly ran franchises will keep bottling picks and if they get a stud (Cousins, KAT), they don't know how to surround them with winning players

10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

I'd rather the Lakers lost their pick

da_juice likes this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'd go into tank mode and play DMo much more....go for that Top 3 protected pick.

roslolian likes this.
  12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

The Timberwolves are young and building and Thibs has them going alright. Did you know that since January 1, they are 1 game away from being .500

13. heypartner

You mean their best stretch this year with two 1st Picks in 2nd and 3rd seasons is not even .500 ball?

Minn has been young and rebuilding since they traded Garnett for a 23yr old Al Jefferson and two 1st round picks. You could say this is their 3rd rebuilding period, since.

Check out all these Top 10 picks they've had since the Garnett trade...Young and rebuilding for nearly 10 years

#7 Corey Brewer (2007)
    #3 Kevin Love (2008) actually they traded down from 3 to 5 to get Love
    #5 Ricky Rubio (2009)
    #6 Johnny Flynn (2009)
    #4 Wesley Johnson (2010)
    #2 Derrick Williams (2011)
    #9 Trey Burke (2013)
    #1 Andrew Wiggins (2014) via Love trade
    #1 KAT (2015)
    #5 Kris Dunn (2016)

I mean, they've never had a .500 season since Garnett, even with all those picks. That's pretty poorly run. Maybe this compilation of two #1 picks, a 13 (LaVine), and a 5 (Dunn) will reach .500 for the first time since the Garnett trade, or they bust it up again and rebuild for their 4th time.

Ramo$e and roslolian like this.
  14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I know there are bust picks all over the place even at the top of the draft. And there are worse busts even on your TWolves list.

But I still said wow when I saw that.

Whenever I see him even at his best I see 2nd round pick end of bench toothpick hustle guy. 7th overall? Someone seeing that is baffling.

Oh wait, that was Kevin Mchale wasn't it? I guess it's not that surprising then.

15. heypartner

yep. I guess it really helps to be on a team that wins 2 NCAA championships in a row, right before you are drafted....5 players from UF got drafed that year...Corey was 2nd one behind #3 pick Horford, and Noah at #9.

Sorta like how it helped MKG go #2 in the draft after Anthony Davis...and 2 other UK first rounds (TJones) and 6 total draft picks all in one year.

16. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

What happens if it's top 3 and they lose the lottery and get the 4th pick?

17. heypartner

pretty sure it's final position of the pick...after lottery.

Teams do Top 3 Protected to retain chance they might jump into the Top 3. And Top 5 Protected is common for the other reason...to protect against getting leap-frogged and sliding down. I can't think of an example of lottery playing out where a pick jumped into its protected range due to luck of the lottery, though, or vice versa, being pushed out of its protected range.

Here's an explanation from SBNation in 2015

The implications of the lottery are often large because of the way teams protect draft picks in trades. Two teams, the Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat, could lose their picks to the Philadelphia 76ers this year (article is from 2015) depending on how the lottery shakes out. The 76ers acquired the two picks in separate deals over the last year, but they're both protected and will only be sent to the team this year if they fall in a certain range. The Lakers' pick is top-five protected, so Philly will only get it if it falls to No. 6 or lower, while the Heat pick is top-10 protected and will need to fall to No. 11 or lower. Otherwise, the Lakers pick is top-three protected in 2016 and 2017 before going unprotected in 2018, and the Heat pick is top-10 protected again in 2016 before going unprotected in 2017.

18. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Risky business. Seems like the lottery outcome determines the winner of this trade.

19. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Poorly run.

They did trade Burke for Muhammed & Dieng which is easily a win there.

heypartner likes this.