1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Deadline Fallout] Buy-outs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by val_modus, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Bogut to Cavs just makes too much sense. He's needed there, can get minutes, defending champs & still best team in East, with best player this generation. Rockets have both Warriors and Spurs in their way, with slightly less guarantee of minutes.

2. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

TRAITOR!! :mad: ( I kid, I kid :p )

Shroopy2 likes this.
  3. raining threes

I don't know what his contract status is. Like I said in a previous post I didn't even know where he was playing or how well. Holic told me he was in the CBA and playing very well.

4. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I'm expecting Cavs to sign both Bogut & D-Williams before Wednesday so they can be on the playoff roster
    March 1st. By looking at their roster I'm guessing James Jones will be cut by Cavs to make room.
    SF/PF shooting 57% from 3 at the tender age of 36.

Might as well sign Jones as a last option......Rockets don't appear to be too concerned with Defense.

On another note: was looking at Wizards roster going into next season. I believe Otto Porter may be
    the target for Morey in free agency this upcoming summer.
    1) RFA that will get the max $.
    2) Wizards will be about $112 mil going into next season with the cap probably being around $104 mil.
    3) Wiz obtained Bogdanvic as leverage. Both Porter and Bogdanovic will be RFA's. Boggy being the
    cheaper option.
    4) Kelly Ouber drafted for this reason.....possibly groomed to fill-in when Porter leaves.
    5) Rockets cleared cap space to be a player in free agency...for possibly one max deal this summer.

Rockets can get just below $87 mil before free agency with Heurtas release (non-guaranteed), renounce
    rights to Bobby Brown (RFA), release Wiltjer (non-guaranteed). That would be approx $87 mil prior to Harden
    salary increase due to new CBA. Gordon or Lou Williams could be traded. *Trading Lou for non-guaranteed
    contracts/Euro-stash gets Rockets to about $20 mil to spend while trading Gordon would get Rockets to about $25 mil.

* Placing Harden salary increase at $3 million. I'm not sure what it would become.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

It could be Jordan McCrae that's let go, Jones is Lebron's Bobby Brown.

RasaqBoi, DonKnock and BigShasta like this.
  6. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

You are probably correct. I was getting McCrae mixed up with GSW McAdoo. Drafted by the Warriors.

McCrae has bounced around in his limited time. Thank you D-rock.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

What the Heck, let's sign Fredette and go 4 or 5 PG'/SG's and be outrebounded by 50.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  8. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You have no idea what you are talking about.

The Cavs won't cut a player who made the last 6 NBA finals.

arubato likes this.
  9. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Ok Boss. I can see you are a fan of James Jones. Jones gets 7 mins a game for 3 pts this year, while
    McCrae get 10 mins a game for 4 pts. As D-rock mentioned Jones is riding the coat tails of LeBron.

Cavs have an over abundance of SG's & SF's.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Not a bad thought, but Wiz have bird rights and I think the common thought around DC is that they are going to max him out.

11. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Hey now, I'm sure there are kids on here

D-rock likes this.
  12. dragonz

dragonz Member

Less money and more work? must have that, geez...

LonghornFan and Newlin like this.
  13. rytay45

rytay45 Member

Sign any C that can rebound and ben gordon to round out the roster. Whats carl landry doing these days?

#393 rytay45, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  14. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

I am very very high on Porter, but I'm not sure he's going to get 25 million in year 1. Getting rid of Huertas and Brown, we should have around 13m in cap space. Porter makes Ariza expendable at 7.4m, bringing us to 20.4m if we can get rid of him. Wilter and Onuaku are each another 1.3m. I think Porter can be had for ~20m, in line with what Barnes is making. Barnes has 2nd option potential, whereas I don't think that is super likely for Porter (but possible).

Porter would be a better fit for us than even Lou.

Harden/Williams
    Bev/Gordon
    Porter/Dekker
    Anderson/Harrell
    Capela/ ???

With improvement from dekker/harrell/capela/porter that is a stacked team. Solid defensively and unstoppable on offense.

P.S. for washington to renounce bogdanovic and burke and non-guaranteed contracts and sign porter for ~22 mil, they would have to go 11 mil over the cap... they would have no flexibility in 2018 to re-sign Oubre and then would have Wall/Gortat/Morris as UFAs in 2019. I think we can get him.

#394 Lawlruschang, Feb 27, 2017
  15. AggieRocketFan96

Well if the Rox can't get Bogut, don't like Sanders, and Varejao is done, perhaps Jared Sullinger is the best option at this point. At this point Morey is just not going to find the ideal piece but one that is strictly an end of the bench, veteran presence that can still rebound and defend, a break glass in case of injury kind of guy and if expectations are set this way, then get the best you can get and roll with it or just find the best D-league prospect you can get.

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

They went small alot last year so that'll put Thompson at center and Bogut on the bench.

17. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

My brother-in-law is a Wiz fan. He wants them to max Porter but admits the contract of Beal complicates
    things. He tells me Wiz fans can't stand Beal. Beal being hurt too often.

http://www.truthaboutit.net/2017/02/can-the-wizards-afford-otto-porter.html

Dekker plays SF a fraction of the time for the Rockets. As per 82games.com Dekker logs is most of his
    mins at PF. So that leaves mainly just Ariza at SF. Some would say Lou Williams made Eric Gordon
    expendable.

Chances are Morey will be looking to pry Porter or Bogdanovic from the grips of the Wizards.....they can't
    afford a pay increase for both.

Apparently it would take around $22 million on the average for Porter..

http://hoopshabit.com/2016/12/09/washington-wizards-otto-porter-max/

#397 Jatman20, Feb 27, 2017
    Lawlruschang likes this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Love Otto porter but everything I've read is that the wizards are in fact prepared to max him

19. Raz

Raz Member

Jennings is better than Bobby Brown, of course, but I'm not sure if he would be good for our team chemistry.

#399 Raz, Feb 27, 2017
    D-rock and DonKnock like this.
  20. rockets13champs

Brandon jennings Waived

DonKnock likes this.