1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

K.J.' Benching Has NOTHING To Do With His Performance!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ABS, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Wait, what?

Wapzoe likes this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

3. hakeemthagreat

Corey Brewer has sucked for 2 seasons and has got PLENTY playing time. I encourage you to check out a Rockets game every once in awhile

4. Nook

Nook Member

KJ isn't playing because D'Antoni doesn't like flakes. Beasley was dumped for that reason and D'Antoni ran Nate Robinson out of NY too.

5. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

KJOF

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  6. hakeemthagreat

This post started off ridiculous and got worse as I read it. First off, KJ DID outplay Brewer in training camp and early in the season. It even looked as if he improved his 3pt shot too. Second, Sam Dekker? lol. If you didn't know Dekker and KJ have totally different roles on this team. Dekker's a backup stretch PF that can slide over to SF. KJ's a SG that can slide over to SF when going small. Ultimately, KJ's lack of play has NOTHING to do with Dekker. KJ doesn't defend PF's and Dekker doesn't guard shooting guards. They're nowhere near fighting for a spot.

The problem with the "KJ sucks" argument is Brewer sucks even more. KJ is younger, more skilled and talented than Corey Brewer. There is no reason Brewer should be playing over KJ. The only logical reason Brewer's playing is because he got that contract. The thread is on point

ABS and Houstunna like this.
  7. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Corey Brewer was also one of the major reasons we came back to win the Clippers series a couple seasons ago. I don't recall KJ EVER having any impact on us winning.

I'll check out a game right after you do genius.

acsorelle4 likes this.
  8. Victorious

Victorious Member

"the guy with the bigger contract must play" lol not true at all

9. photojoe

photojoe Member

It was well known that KJ "bet on himself" when he was a second round draft pick and choose to only sign a one year deal. We traded for him and then he spent about half a year in Houston on the bench.

When he was a free agent, there could have still been a market for him. He had a chance to display his skills for half a year before that. But then he chose to re sign in Houston. He didn't decide to "bet on himself" again but decided to come back to Houston.

Morey doesn't decide who plays, the coaches do. And there have now been 3 coaches who have decided not to give him a whole lot of minutes. As fans it can be easy to always think that some other player on the bench would be better but most of the time it just isn't the case. We haven't had a chance to see him much but we have been able to see that he is athletic... But not much else. He can get some highlight reel plays with his athleticism but he doesn't have much offensive game and, tbh, to me it looks like his defense looks a little better than it is because of his athleticism.

Sure. I wish he had more a chance. He is still young enough that he can hopefully improve. But right now at best he is an end of the rotation guy and his effect would be negligible.

No Chance likes this.
  10. hakeemthagreat

So the reason Brewer's playing over KJ is because Brewer helped us in a playoff game 2 years ago under a totally different coach? Is that MDA's explanation for sitting KJ?

11. photojoe

photojoe Member

The problem with the "Brewer sucks more" argument is we really don't even know if that is true. Unfortunately we haven't seen enough real game experience of KJ to know that is actually true. No, pre-season doesn't count.

I don't think anyone in ClutchFans is arguing that Brewer is really good. I mean come on, most of the times people refer to him as Sewer. I've seen a lot of times from a lot of people asking for KJ to get minutes over Brewer. This isn't a new idea. And sure, I would love to give him more of a chance since he is young to see if he could improve. But it just wouldn't make difference as either way they would be the end of our rotation and, even though we as fans like to think we know better, there have been 3 separate coaches now that have decided not to play him. Stop the crusade. If we want to improve our team to the point of having a better chance to compete against San Antonio or Golden State, it's not going to come from giving 5-10 minutes a game to KJ instead of Brewer.

13 in 33 likes this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We can at least surmise that KJ has looked worse than Brewer to DAntoni in whatever minutes he's had and, probably more importantly, in practice.

There is nothing to suggest that D'Antoni would make a young player sit who was outplaying Brewer. Dekker took minutes from Brewer, has taken minutes from Anderson at various points. Harrell has taken minutes, Capela has been made to sit when he isn't playing well, etc. I don't see anything whatsoever from D'Antoni that makes me think he would force a guy to sit who was actually earning minutes because of contract status or veteran status.

13. 1Deep

1Deep Member

No, that's not the reason. When you have two players with just about equal talent and skill sets the one that bring the most energy will play. Say what you want about Brewer's talent level, but you can't deny he gives 110% energy & effort every time he steps on the floor.

Batman Jones and D-rock like this.
  14. Tadow

Tadow Member

I like KJ and want him to get more minutes, but............ Dekker OUTPLAYED him in ALL facets of the game at the beginning of the season. Go watch the tape.

15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

We have the consensus coach of the year and we are sitting at 40-17, but these KJOFans know better. Stop with these threads please.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Gordon misses games, he still doesn't play. That shows he isn't being held back by Brewer. Even when minutes are available, he still doesn't get on the floor because D'antoni (like our previous 2 coaches) simply doesn't think he helps us at all.

Brewer is a train wreck offensively , and increasing his minutes with a smaller rotation is still viewed a better alternative to putting KJ on the floor.

Batman Jones and Richie_Rich like this.
  17. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

KJ makes more mistakes per minute on the floor than any player I have ever seen. Turnovers, missed assignments, failure to follow the play all attributes for this fellow. It's difficult to watch. No doubt in practice the same stuff happens.

Batman Jones, D-rock and Richie_Rich like this.
  18. Garner

Garner Member

KJ has a larger contract than Dekker....so there is that.

What a shitpost.

19. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Stop embarrassing KJ, Mom! Gawwwww!

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

But but but , dekker's white so of course mike is allowed to play him . Morey can't make the rules for who plays THAT obvious , of course there are multiple variables.

I've heard KJ doesn't play because he beat Morey in ping pong once and the loss was very devastating to DM's ego .

Furthermore , whereas the other players get to shoot basketballs in practice ,as punishment, KJ has to use ping pong balls . It's why his shot is not improving .

seeingred and Richie_Rich like this.