1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy book series recommendation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by arno_ed, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Given the popularity of Correa & Erikson's military style fiction, I'm going to put the Gaunt's Ghost's series by Dan Abnett out there even though it's a hybrid Sci-Fi/Fantasy series set in the WarHammer 40k universe. Yes, there are spaceships and guns, but there are also swords and magic. It's a very gritty, very good combat-oriented series with a lot of action.

Entropy and professorjay like this.
  2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

If you like Sanderson's work, try Circle of Reign by Jacob Cooper. It is the first book of what I believe will be a trilogy. He has also released some prequel stuff in suppport of the series that is also excellent. If you're an audiobook fan, you're in luck because Michael Kramer (narrator of almost of all of Sanderson's work) narrates.

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I've really enjoyed the Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch.

arkoe likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have that series, but haven't started it yet. I will have to bump it up in the queue.

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

The KingKiller trilogy is also pretty good. Bad news is he's a slower writer than George RR Martin. It's been 6 years since book 2 was released and no word yet on when book 3 will be out. Albeit I did hear it may be out this year

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I am currently reading "The grim company" of Luke Scull. It is great really a recommendation for people who like the darker fantasy (like "The first law" by Joe Abercrombie).
    Great characters and a nice world. A lot of the characters are not pure evil or pure good, but something in between.

It is only 3 books, but really a nice trilogy.

arkoe likes this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Currently working on The Wheel Of Time, baby.

mikus likes this.
  8. arno_ed

How far are you?

9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Halfway through book one.

10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

It's going to take a wheel of time to finish these guys.

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

This seems interesting. I may have to check it out.

12. arno_ed

Currently reading The demon Cycle by Peter v Brett. I really like it. Only halfway book 2. but it is nice. Interesting world.

@FranchiseBlade: Have you tried the Grimm company?

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I burned through all the Dresden Files books based on a recommendation in this thread. So, so good. I guess I'll get the next short story collection when they come out in June. Now I'm kind of floundering on what to read next. Maybe I'll give this Grimm Company a shot. Anyone have any other recommendations for someone that loved The Dresden Files?

14. youknowme

youknowme Member

I thought the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher (same author as The Dresden Files) was pretty good. The first book starts off slow, but the rest make up for it (total of 6 and the story is complete).

RunninRaven likes this.
  15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good call. I had seen where he had another series but I didn't know anything about it. I'll give them a shot.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm on Book 8 of the Black Company series by Glen Cook. It's a dark fantasy series about a mercenary company. It's interesting in that it's told from the point of view of the company physician and historian, so while there is fighting, it's not from 'warrior x's' perspective. It's also very interesting in that they work for the 'bad guys', so you hear about the 'good guys' antics from the opposite viewpoint. They don't get into the nuts and bolts of magic like a lot of fantasy, it just kind of happens with bright lights and the narrator doesn't pretend to understand.

Outstanding books. Got me hooked on Butcher, who is now my favorite author.

Try Larry Correia's Monster Hunter or Grimnoir series. Good 'Magic in Modern Times' books, even if they're a little heavy on the gun description (Correia is a gun nut).

You could also try the Ustari Cycle by Jeff Sommers, but it's -very- dark. Love his books, both sci-fi and fantasy, but they aren't the happy friendly elf love magic type.

I liked the Demon Cycle a lot. Still haven't read the last book but I hear it's satisfying.

If you guys like Abercrombie, check out The Seven Forges series by James A. Moore. There are some -very- interesting twists.

I will put Grimm company on my list. Sounds like my cup of tea.

RunninRaven likes this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely look into it. I read a few others recently that I liked. Mostly stuff everyone else has already read like The Kingkiller series. Other ones, I liked a little. I've been on a historical fiction kick lately. I reread both The White Company and Sir Nigel by Arthur Conan Doyle. I probably enjoyed it, even more, reading them both a second time. I'm currently reading Azincourt (Agincourt) right now. It's entertaining enough and isn't horribly written.

I browsed some info about it and it looks like something I might really enjoy. Thanks.

18. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Check out this series

Riftwar saga
    by
    Raymond E Feist.

19. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

There were stories last year that they were going to make this into a tv series, but I'm not seeing much new news on it.

20. arno_ed

Have you tried it yet?

That would be amazing. But very difficult to do well. Not sure if this is the best series to make into a tv series.

Feist was actually the first Fantasy Author I read.

So does anybody have some new experiences.
    I have been reading Smith, A.J - "The Long war" and Rob J. Hayes "The Heresy Within". Both nice non standard series.

I am looking for a new series to read